water fording and snorkel

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
krick3tt

Re: water fording and snorkel

Post by krick3tt »

The 'T' nuts are a good way to go. I used regular nuts and drilled a larger hole in the door
to accept them. All adds up to the same thing...the handles stay on the window frame.

I just take off the whole door.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

The sharp corners of the windows were a tearing point of the original design, that was corrected by radiusing the corners.
Removing the least amount of material and a good radius on the cutout will impact the least, but most will do a hack job ( and think it's first class :roll: ) and remove all the material back to the fold.
I have almost 40 years of working with commercial aluminum/glass and steel doors under some of the most abusive conditions ( namely shopping centers, public buildings and schools), and learn to diagnose all types of problems with swinging and sliding doors, and find a way to remedy the problem... some so simple, that only after doing the repair that an engineer believed me... in other cases, the repair was made away from where the problem was to correct it.

As I said in the previous post, SDP completely changed the design of the door upper on the later TD Pinzes... I can't say to their reason, but the newer tops have adjustments and are a lot stronger.

Morris, there are pics of the T nuts in the yahoo group, and suppose in the SDP-Pinzgauer site also, as I had done that 10 years ago

... and to get somewhat back on topic, and not let someone get confused...
The snorkel assembly on the TD stays entirely within the cab area and does not intrude into the cargo area, as the cab has another 8" of length behind the seats and in front of the bulkhead
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
norcal pinz
United States of America

Post by norcal pinz »

bernhard wrote:I made that part. Unfortunately they are cost prohibitive to produce so I only made 2 sets. At one point in time the factory TD inlet was available for sale but have had no luck tracking it down.
its too bad you didnt make more i really like that one you got there :D
710M 1972
710k 1974
bernhard

Post by bernhard »

At the moment I am preparing for my trip to Alaska but I will revisit this design and see what I can do to make a few more when I get back. If you really would like one pm me. 
Bernhard
1973 712M
1975 710K
2013 Tacoma TRD 4X4