What would you change? What did you change?

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
texas pinzgauer

What would you change? What did you change?

Post by texas pinzgauer »

It seems like we have gotten some new Pinz owners here in recent weeks and many common questions are coming up about what the long time owners suggest as changes and tweaks to these otherwise perfect vehicles.

The best advice of course that we've all gotten is to drive it and enjoy it just the way you got it before you start messing with it. However, as any Pinzgauer owner knows, there is room for improvement and one of the most useful things about this forum is all of the great ideas that get shared here.

So here's the question - what are the things that you have changed about your Pinzgauer and were those changes as useful as you had expected and hoped for or were they a waste of time and money?
Looking for next new (for me) toy
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 3094951494
psychoman

Re: What would you change? What did you change?

Post by psychoman »

Good idea for a new thread - here's my two penneth (two cents, US)...

Fit a 12V dropper to run SatNav etc.

If you have big feet, remove the clutch rest pedal (I kept catching my foot on mine when using the clutch).

Fit civi wiper blades, lights, etc.

That's all I've found I've needed to do so far in 3 years ownership - everything else has been nice-to-have. And still running stock Swiss military tyres, stock seats, stock ignition, etc, etc.... if it works don't mess with it - SP invested a lot of money developing these trucks and it shows.
It aint what you drive, its the way that you drive it...
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

Everybody will have a different list depending on intended use. My 712 has gone through a couple major remodels in the years I have owned it to meet my ever changing needs. There are however a few items which never change. Items I would consider must haves with these trucks
Radial tires, which ever style matches your use
comfortable seats this includes the passengers in the rear
seat belts for the rear passengers
I of course find improved armor a must and very critical to the health and well being of my pinzies
12v and 110v make for a great option for the accessories that each individual finds necessary
connecting with other owners (in person is best but this website works also) several clubs and groups have developed, find them
some of the better upgrades ie electronic ignition, wiper blades, heater if your area requires it, cooling (evap or ac) .....

I still find it odd when I see a stock truck. The trucks are crude and have very few creature comforts. A few simple mods and they can be comfortable and very enjoyable to own/drive.
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Post by ScottishPinz »

I've changed to radial tyres, wipers I never understand as normal ones clip right in. I have added a rear fog light and reversing light. As far as electrical power, there are many 24V accessories from the world of trucks but I have added a 240V inverter to charge laptop / camera batteries when traveling. One last thing was an interior mirror! Oh I forgot my wee solar powered ventilator that helps keep down the condensation, my truck is also insulated but I see that more of a camping modification than anything else.
Heed

Post by Heed »

Definitely seat belts in the rear (mounted mine on E-track so that I can utilize the same system for cargo if/when the need comes up) for the 'Wee Uns'!!

The only other needed (IMHO) change was the rear brake lights. In my location, yellow brake lights were not legal. I took the opportunity to install some bright LED brake and signal lights. It is really easy for people to see when I am slowing, turning, or stopping.
Bob
1990 - Mercedes G-Wagon 250GD

A goal without a plan is just a wish!
michaelh712

Post by michaelh712 »

cup holders...
Michaelh712
michaelh@updc.org
Educational Anarchist
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

A well made 24-12v converter properly grounded is a must. I'd then add a reverse light and a couple of 12v fans. Next would be a 4 speaker stereo and finally storage solutions (Center console, box behind headache rack and lockable storage box somewhere depending on model)
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)