Custom Radio/Light Box

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
John L
United States of America

Custom Radio/Light Box

Post by John L »

Guys:

As we all know, the interior of a Pinz is a tad bit dark when the sun has gone down. I looked and schemed for all kinds of options for a "dome light" for the cab to some type of "spreader" light for the back. My Pinz came wth an am/fm/cd player mounted in a plastic box in the roof of the cab. The radio hasn't worked b/c the former owner had XM and no need for a regular antenna. Wel this weekend a buddy of mine and I tackled both problems and I wanted to share them with you.

We incorporated the lighting issue into the radio box. I selected a set of led strip lights to be used as the "dome light" for the cab. These particular lights were designed to be mounted outside the vehicle on the grill. I figured they would be perfect inside the cab. I purchased a small rocker switch and mounted it to the back of the box on the side and on the drivers side. The led's came with a voltage reducer that needed to be mounted. Fortunately we had enough room inside the box behind the radio. As you can see from the photo, we mounted one strip on the drivers side and one on the passenger side. The light for the back cargo area was mounted in the middle.

The cargo area light had a switch on it, so we just brought a hot wire from the radio to the rocker switch for the led's and to the back light itself. Since the radio is run straight off of the 12v converter we used 12 v electrical as it was convenient and easy to get.

While we were at it, I installed an am/fm antenna where the CB antenna would normally mount. I found a few loose wires while I had it part. We cleaned it, tightened her up and now have a custom radio/light box that performs triple duty: music, cab light, cargo light. See the photos below:
CustomRadioLightbox001.JPG
CustomRadioLightbox001.JPG (25.57 KiB) Viewed 2749 times
CustomRadioLightbox002.JPG
CustomRadioLightbox002.JPG (25.56 KiB) Viewed 2749 times
CustomRadioLightbox003.JPG
CustomRadioLightbox003.JPG (23.88 KiB) Viewed 2749 times
John L
United States of America

Re: Custom Radio/Light Box

Post by John L »

Guys:

Here's a couple of more photos:
CustomRadioLightbox004.JPG
CustomRadioLightbox004.JPG (19.38 KiB) Viewed 2748 times
AntennaMount001.JPG
AntennaMount001.JPG (21.62 KiB) Viewed 2748 times
Pinzgauer Pete

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

Truck looks nice John, I am especially liking that camo paint job, these trucks basically have no creature comforts at all and there are scarce few places to mount them even if we wanted to that make sence and are accessable to the driver for control..I am still mulling over where to mount a radio and speakers everytime I think yeah I guess I can put it here...I find a reason not to :mrgreen:
life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which one you might get

710M
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Very nice lights - I think I may copy your idea. Thanks!

I like the camo paint job too. Nice looking truck!
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Very nice setup. I am still using things from former Mog.

Two position light (high/low) http://s400.photobucket.com/albums/pp88 ... C01486.jpg
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
Pols497
United States of America

Post by Pols497 »

Sweet, and i like how you have everything set up, nice.
Roger Melton