heater solutions

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
audiocontr
United States of America

heater solutions

Post by audiocontr »

Plain and simple, I cant spend $500+ on a heater solution in the truck for the few times a year we would need it, but I would like something. I was thinking LP gas solutions like the heater buddy or Camco units. A couple of questions:

Can a gas powered heater solution come together for less than $500? Something from a VW?
Has anyone used a CamCo heater? Can you see any issues?
Am i crazy to consider an inexpensive propane heater mounted to the top of a 20lb propane tank? I could mount the tank directly behind the cab (center) and point it backwards.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
michaelh712

Re: heater solutions

Post by michaelh712 »

Will, I used a portable propane heater that screws onto a small bottle, and it sits in a "cupholder" on my dash. Worked well to warm up the cab on cold winter days, but I was also worried about it tipping over and falling into the riders lap or something. Some use this setup as golf cart heaters, cheapest solution of all.

I'd be really cautious about an older VW unit for safety reasons, unless it was new or practically so.

I now have a diesel Espar unit that will easily heat the front and back and tied into the air system so that it feeds the front vents as well as the back cargo area.

I have a NOS Benmar multi-fuel heater that I was going to install, just before I got the deal on the Espar. For pix and installation, look here on Jim's site. It's very simple and small, and could either be tied into your gas supply, or to an aux. tank burning diesel, jet fuel, food oil or just about anything else. http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/ ... C06640.jpg

PM me if interested. It's 24 volt, complete with switch, electrical connections and an electrical fuel pump and new. I'd like 250 for the setup. I can snap a few shots this weekend if you are interested.

Michael
Michaelh712
michaelh@updc.org
Educational Anarchist
audiocontr
United States of America

Re: heater solutions

Post by audiocontr »

VERY interesting. PM incoming
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)