Worlds first

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
audiocontr
United States of America

Re: Worlds first

Post by audiocontr »

I could have sworn the amp you sent was mounted in a case... a true amplifier all ready to go. I just went through the PM and hit the link. you're right, same amp. Sorry man, in my scattered mind, i must have overlooked it.

I still feel the TAA4100A chip is a better chip in sound quality and power. Its also twice the price. Its tough to justify the added expense when its in a pinz anyways.

My latest thought was a dual system. Id like the speakers in the rear for passengers, but i want a set of headphones for the front occupants. I wonder if there is anything available that uses the equivalent of cellphone headphones... the type with the mic built in. A basic 24v headphone amp with push to talk functionality.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
comfortdental

Post by comfortdental »

im sitting down with a pen and paper and looking over my options.
if its a 24 volt amp wont it draw half the power?
how many watts does the alternator put out?
thanks again all advise, and answers they all are appreciated
pictures of before, during and after installation will be put up. and it would be sweet to play it to an intercom system.
1974 710m
Ford excursion For sale
Toyota scionFor sale
ccalingaert

Post by ccalingaert »

I prefer an intercom over a radio and speakers. I don't need it to be even louder inside so I got a portable aircraft intercom and noise cancelling headsets. You can power it with batteries or plug it into the 24V port. It gets an audio input from my ipod, and the intercom can mute the music when someone is talking. Makes the pinz as quiet as a car.
Chris
'74 710K
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

comfortdental wrote:im sitting down with a pen and paper and looking over my options.
if its a 24 volt amp wont it draw half the power?
No "Power” draw will be the same. Power is measured in Watt's.
comfortdental wrote: How many watts does the alternator put out?
The alternator is rated at 35 amps at approximately 26 volts so P = E x I
E=26
I=35
So P = 910 watts
http://www.the12volt.com/ohm/ohmslawcalculators.asp
Flooded lead acid batteries typical float voltage range 13.1 to 13.4 volts

OHMS LAW - A potential difference of 1 volt will force a current of 1 ampere through a resistance of 1 ohm. OR....
V=(IR), I=(V/R), R=(V/I)
P=(IxV) or P=(I2R)
Potential Difference (V) = The difference in voltage between the two ends of a conductor through which a current flows. Also known as a voltage drop.
CURRENT (I) -The quantity of electrons passing a given point (Unit of measure: AMPERE)
VOLTAGE (V)- Electrical Pressure or Force. (Unit of measure: VOLT)
RESISTANCE (R)- Resistance to the flow of current (Unit of measure: OHM)
POWER (P)- The work performed by current (Unit of measure: WATT)

Also please realize that while many think of the Pinzgauer alternator as being vastly under powered at 35 amps they are generally comparing it to 55 to 65 amp 12 volt systems. A 35 amp 24 volt system has an equivalent “Power” output of a 70 amp 12 volt alternator. By 1970’s standards this was a very reasonable power output. The Pinzgauer also has the ability to provide charging power to the batteries at a lower rpm than most vehicles.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
StuartL
Great Britain

Post by StuartL »

edzz wrote:The Pinzgauer also has the ability to provide charging power to the batteries at a lower rpm than most vehicles.
This is a key piece of information for a vehicle in the Pinz's role. Few vehicles have a functional charging circuit at idle, my Pinz used to charge quite happily at idle. The only other vehicle I've ever (knowingly) had which charges at idle was the new shape Civic Type R. My motorcycles need about 3,000rpm before the charging circuit becomes effective :)
UK Virtual Assistant services in English: http://www.seekingserenity.co.uk/
Heed

Larger-capacity Alternator?

Post by Heed »

Slightly off thread...but can the 35 amp alternator be 're-wound' to a greater amperage?

audiocontr: PM sent about your amps.
Bob
1990 - Mercedes G-Wagon 250GD

A goal without a plan is just a wish!
edzz
United States of America

Re: Larger-capacity Alternator?

Post by edzz »

Heed wrote:Slightly off thread...but can the 35 amp alternator be 're-wound' to a greater amperage?
Yes contact Jim LaGuardia here or at http://www.goatwerks.com/
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

The stock alternator can be re-wound for ~50 amps, but does not charge as well at idle.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
comfortdental

Post by comfortdental »

So let me get this straight
If I let the music play too loud for too long the power supply won't be able to keep up with the amp and shut it off? Or will the amp play until I don't have power to the engine and it leaves me stranded?

What kind of power can I use without draining the batteries while running? Should be around 30 amps?
1974 710m
Ford excursion For sale
Toyota scionFor sale
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Try to keep it under10 amps. Use capacitors to minimize peak amperage draw

You could kill your batteries, fry the alternator, clip the amplifier and blow the speakers, all from drawing too'uch amperage and dropping voltage.

My opinion is start small with components you can throw away if they get destroyed, thus the boss $40 waterproof speakers. Pay special attention to the amplifier. You do NOT want a high wattage amp. You want an efficient amp running at 4 ohms. Efficiency is key.

Research class T amplifiers. Understand their nominal amperage draw vs peak. Research what happens when amplifiers clip.

I know you don't want to hear this but I'm not sure a pinzgauer is the ideal scenario to learn about car audio power requirements.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
comfortdental

Post by comfortdental »

After a lot of thought I'm happy with just an iPod and headphones !
Thank you all for your support and information!
1974 710m
Ford excursion For sale
Toyota scionFor sale
McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Post by McCall Pinz »

Don't give up. I'm on a slow pace, but I'm going to work on a system this winter
eat, sleep, Pinzgauer
comfortdental

Post by comfortdental »

I haven't officially given up, just decided that it's not the project I want I want/need right now. I will defenitly keep my ears and eyes open.
1974 710m
Ford excursion For sale
Toyota scionFor sale