Part/Brand suggestions please! Need your help.

Issues pertaining to the TGB/C30X series engine and driveline issues
MadMax

Part/Brand suggestions please! Need your help.

Post by MadMax »

In the process of doing some tuning up, wondering if some of you could offer suggestions for a couple things:

1. I have a B30A from a 1975 164 sedan that had only 15,000Km on it when it was put in to replace the original truck engine. Does anyone know what, if any, differences there are in the two engines? Everything is already switched to 12 volt, but other than that I am not sure what I should be aware of. For example, the truck manual suggests 20w40, but the 164 manual for the b30a suggests 10w30, which is what I use, though synthetic to stabilize the viscosity at temps a bit better.

2. I am currently planning on replacing the wires and plugs with Bosch Super Plus 7997 and an 8mm wire. Is there a better/particular choice? I could not find an iridium replacement for the bosch W 200 T 35 OEM plugs.

3. swapping out the points (but keeping them) with a Pertronix Ignitor and flamethrower coil, but Ive seen coils from MSD, Accel, etc. as well. Stick with pertronix? Use OEM coil? Model numbers (there are so many!)

4. changing the fuel filter, should I stick with the solid can OEM style, or will using one of those glass, see-through filters work as well? I prefer that style visually to the solid can, but no idea if there is a performance difference.

5. I will be doing an electric fan swap using one of the flex-a-lite models with the hard plastic shround (someone here cut the sides of one a bit and it fit into the box channel very well, would love to know more about which model) but if there are other suggestions, please holla. The new setup would be about 300$, however, so I am wondering if just going with a 40$ fan from a lincoln or something down at the pick yard will be worth the possibility of the motor failing, etc.

Since this is really the first major mechanical/tune up anything I have done with it besides a new belt and oil change when I got it, what other routine engine/tune up items should I focus on? My budget is pretty tight, but I'm making a list.

Thank you in advance for any help! This place is invaluable, particularly to someone like myself who has limited mechanical experience (though very high mechanical aptitude.) I've never enjoyed a vehicle so much, nor enjoyed learning so much, even through my mistakes.
Where science and technology fail, art survives.
Klug
France

Re: Part/Brand suggestions please! Need your help.

Post by Klug »

Hi.

I thought the 164 had B30 (and B30E and B30F), not B30A.
The difference, I thought, was the camshaft: the B30A (for TGB/C30x) had a special one to give lower power but a more flat torque curve.
However, VolvoPedia or the 164Club (among other sites) disagree with me (looks like I'm definitively wrong): http://www.volvopedia.de/index.php?title=En:B30 http://www.164club.se/techdata.html#Engine

About oil, VolvoPedia suggests "10w40 or 15w40" (mineral).
Penta official recommendation for the AQ170 (in 2002) is: Volvo Penta SAE 15W-50 Kvalitet: API SG/CD, CCMC G4/PD2
Volvo documentation for the 1974 cars is here: http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/197 ... 164_03.htm
For the 1971 cars, it's here: http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/197 ... 3.htm#pg37

I'm using a 123ignition with a "standard" coil and I'm very happy with it.
Here in Europe, the coil could be "valeo 245025" or NKG 48302/48236/48339
MadMax

Re: Part/Brand suggestions please! Need your help.

Post by MadMax »

In the last few days I have continued to find conflicting information on the oil viscosity. I have seen info saying that both 10w40 and 20w40 are recommended for the b30a from the sedan, and mostly 20w40 for the engine when in the c303, though not always. I also find information that the 164 was available from 1969-72, 68-74, 69-74. None of the numbers on my engine block indicate anything that I can find on which year it was made....it really is beginning to make my head spin just trying to do basic maintenance on this bloody thing. The first thing every single parts counter wants to know is what year, make and model the part is for, which takes me 5 minutes to explain.

on top of all this, the gas tank now has a leak at the rear bumper mounting flange, so I have to drop the tank and solder it. ugh.
Where science and technology fail, art survives.