Front brake problems.

Issues pertaining to the TGB/C30X series engine and driveline issues
cavetroll
Great Britain

Front brake problems.

Post by cavetroll »

I have recently changed the front wheel cylinders and I can no longer get the drum back on properly. After changing the cylinders the drum will go on freely until there is a 1mm gap between the hub and the drum but only at the bottom, if i then tighten a wheel nut onto the drum it will pull in until there is no gap but it locks the wheel solid. Slacken it back off again and it spins. I have tried new shoes fromTatanka and these are the same. I have tried adjusting the screw on the back of the shoe to move it in or out but it dosen't seem to affect it.
Any suggetions welcome.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Re: Front brake problems.

Post by Jimm391730 »

The drum may have been worn by the old shoes not quite as wide as the the drum is; there may be a "lip" on the inside of the drum wear surface. So it turns fine until you squeeze the drum on the last millimeter where the shoes hit the lip. You could try turning the adjuster in enough to allow the shoes to fit a smaller diameter, then if all works well re-adjust them out as you turn the drum - the old shoes should find the same place as before, but you may need to have the drums turned to have a full width, smooth machined surface for new shoes.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
Jim Molloy
United States of America

Post by Jim Molloy »

Cavetroll,
Where are you located?
With the brake drum off, if you move the brake shoe ratcheting cam adjusters on the inner surface of the backing plate, do you see any movement of the shoes in or out?

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
http://www.northwestmogfest.com
cavetroll
Great Britain

Post by cavetroll »

I'm based in Kendal. I have managed to sort it out by taking 1.5mm off the end of the shoes, this seems to have solved the problem.
thenk you for the advice.