Engine wanted

Issues pertaining to the TGB/C30X series engine and driveline issues
dokatd
United States of America

Re: Engine wanted

Post by dokatd »

I have a set of the gears previously available from House of the Flying spanners. Same ones I believe Kamo is selling now. of course their website appears down now as well. Hopefully they just forgot to pay the server bill. I don’t specifically recall the ratio, but it’s the only set around from what I have seen. Regardless, the truck is capable of 70mph and greater (80mph if you wanted to push the engine redline) but honestly I still like staying in the 60mph range. Acceleration is extremely strong. If you want to leave the average road goer behind at a light it easy. 0-60 in 15sec or less from what I can tell with my phone GPS and Mississippi counting. I’m running the stock replacement clutch from Tatanka right now, if I went back to the racing clutch I am absolutely sure you could cut that 0-60 time a bit more. All that said, I’m not doing this specifically to go fast, I just want to cruise at 60mph regardless of wind or hill. I have easily achieved that now. Cruising downtown the Dallas North Tollway is now more of a reality and I can actually pass people with confidence.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Interesting! How's the noise level with that motor? MPG?

By the way, you can always go back and upload pics to the posts that lost the links.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

This site doesn’t allow pictures to be directly uploaded right? Noise level is similar or even quieter than stock minus the intake noise. I haven’t installed an intake silencer box yet so the filter is fairly loud. I am looking at installing a Donaldson filter box to silence the intake.

I haven’t taken the time to figure out the odometer correction so I can figure MPG yet. I suspect it’s somewhere in the high teens or very low 20’s.
Jim Molloy
United States of America

Post by Jim Molloy »

While I believe House of Spanners made several R&P sets including a 5.99:1 6x6 set to match the road speed of the standard 4x4 trucks, their fastest R&P set was either 5.0:1 or 5.1:1. What size tires are you currently running? Please remind me...where you planning or have you already upgraded your brake system to hand your enhanced road speed? Are you now running stock clutch disc/pressure plate and TOB with a standard bell housing/actuating arm/cable?

I am truly thankful that my typical driving environment does not warrant/require the high road speeds that yours apparently does. I can happy cruise down our local country roads and rural highways and my top speed of 55mph in my stone stock TGB1314A 6x6 is just fine. I just cannot imagine what it would be like to be driving a Volvo C-series truck of either the 4x4 or 6x6 configuration at 70-80mph. I keep seeing the image of the Swedish military photo of a TGB11 in a full stoppie. Rear end pitched up at something approaching a 45 degree angle.

Looking forward to seeing your continued progress.
Take care.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
http://www.northwestmogfest.com
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

No this site is all about uploading pics directly. When people link photos they inevitably get deleted by the hosting sites. Doesn't happen here.

dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

So I looked it up and I have the 5:1 gear set.

I’m running a 33-34” tire

No brake mods have been done, I have never really felt the brakes to be lacking in the 303 so long as they are in good condition

My drive train is stock from the flywheel back. This includes the bellhousing, clutch, throw out bearing, bearing fork etc. my conversion simply makes the R2.8 mimic the Volvo engine and runs dual flywheels.
dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

Went back to upload photos, but I apparently need to resize all the photos since IPhone photos are to big.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

The site will now accept 5mb files. That is pretty huge for a photo. Can't imagine why a phone would need to make a pic bigger than that. Yet another reason for my hatred of cell phone tech. ://

Maybe try it through Tapatalk like a lot of guys use now if they are viewing this site on their phone (I much prefer a regular size screen!)

dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

Downloaded Tapatalk and immediately deleted it. I’m pretty sure I did the same thing back a few years ago when it first came out. I’m not up for the social media style posting etc. I prefer my forums like I prefer my trucks, Old looking but still running great.
Jim Molloy
United States of America

Post by Jim Molloy »

Just to be clear, I was not questioning the capability of the standard Volvo TGB brakes when faced with speeds originally expected to be encountered by both Volvo and the Swedish military. My concern would be how well the brakes would function when the road speed is pushed up into the 70+-80mph (pushing engine RPM redline) range.

If an average modern sedan with modern brakes and designed to travel at very high highway speeds has a stooping distance ("thinking" or reaction time distance plus braking distance) of 40 feet at 20mph, one can see the numbers increase dramatically as speed increases:

20mph = 40 feet

30mph = 75 feet

40mph = 120 feet

50mph = 175 feet

60mph = 240 feet

70mph = 315 feet

80mph = 400 feet

Average "car length" is 4500mm or 14.7 feet.

If we look at just the top four speeds above, the car length (CL) stopping distance translates as follows:

50mph = 11.9 CL

60mph = 16.3 CL

70mph = 21.4 CL

80mph = 27.2 CL

Again, the numbers above are for a modern small-to-mid-sized sedan. For a series of trucks which carry the names "Cross Country" (from the manufacturer) and Terrangbil (from the primary initial user), I suspect the braking system of these fantastic Volvo trucks are not as capable of responding to a panic stop and speed compared to any and every modern sedan cruising above the speed limit on public highways. What those trucks CAN do, however, is slide up over the back end of a littler car that suddenly merges into our lane as we are going to pass and does not instantly accelerate to match our velocity...and we cannot brake fast enough. Idiots pull in front of tractor/trailer rigs and slow down expecting the truck driver can stop on a dime...every day. Some of those same idiots die as a result of that erroneous assumption...every day. While the most critical piece of an airplane in motion in the air is a properly functioning engine, the most critical equipment on a motor vehicle in motion is a brake system that functions beyond expectations when things go bad. I have confidence that the standard brakes will slow our TGB1314As from 55mph and our TGB11 from 62 mph safely on a consistent basis. I have no confidence it their ability to handle the 70-80mph range. With modern discs at each hub, that might be different. Happily, I will not be testing that concept.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

There is no doubt that the stopping distance on the TGB series trucks is not up to modern standards and great care should be taken to avoid emergency braking. The reality though is that the C303 has enough braking power to lock up the tires at high speeds. So take that for what it is worth to you. That said, I drive mostly large heavy military trucks and as you are more than aware these trucks require a significant amount of attention as compared to modern vehicles. I regularly drive everything from motorcycles to Unimog’s series 404 thru 435 along with the Volvo and even a Toyota FJ60. I rarely have to emergency brake because I leave a huge margin of safety. With all those vehicles, I find the C303 to have far better brakes than the 404 and even the FJ60, but not quite as aggressive as my Unimog 416 or U1300L. And the C303 is only slight under my wife’s Gwagon but that’s purely disc brakes and ABS.

Please keep in mind that the range of braking performance In describing above ranges from down right dangerous to excellent.

Furthermore, any of the above vehicles brake performance is of course dramatically affected by loading the truck up with trailer etc which can easily put their stopping distance well above the C303 empty at 70-80mph.

And don’t worry Jim, I didn’t take your original brake post as aggressive.
Jim Molloy
United States of America

Post by Jim Molloy »

Thank you!
Mine was not meant to be aggressive either. Just a reminder to all.
I have no doubt about your driving skills and understanding about driving these vehicles at speed. You are absolutely correct about the importance of maintaining adequate (some people might think excessive) braking distance. Better to have too much than too little. Like you, having spent years driving everything from two wheels to six wheels and with and without trailers, I believe defensive driving is paramount. On a motorcycle, you are invisible in the eyes of some. In a Volvo or an Unimog, your are an interesting and novel distraction. Either way, others around you may not be at full attention.
Keep up the good work.

Jim Molloy
Wasldersee Farm
http://www.northwestmogfest
dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

What kills me is how many people think it’s a good idea to cut off a 13,000lbs truck like my 1300l. I drive extremely defensively so these people rarely pose a hazard, but I do on occasion like to inch up on them at a stop light right after they cut me off and remind them how bad their decision could have been.
Jim Molloy
United States of America

Post by Jim Molloy »

Very good thought! One of those priceless "teaching opportunities" that forward control truck drivers can impart upon the reckless and uneducated. A true potentially life saving eye opener.
Take care.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
Lee6x6
United States of America

Post by Lee6x6 »

Haven’t been on in a while. Awesome progress on the R2.8 conversion. I had the same thought except my engine runs good and I can’t stand putting the Volvo down for a major project cause I enjoy driving it. Dokatd I did PM you as well regarding your engine for sale. Love to see your rig in person one day....