Was this a factory option? Does anyone know this vehicle?

Issues pertaining to the TGB/C30X series engine and driveline issues
mad_as_hec

Was this a factory option? Does anyone know this vehicle?

Post by mad_as_hec »

As the title says. I was trolling the Internet and found these photos, but no details. I know that the high roof is a custom (or is it?) but I was wondering if the looooong wheelbase 4x4 was ever a factory option, or if this was a custom stretched C303, or if it is a C304 6 wheeler with the middle axle removed?
This information is not critical to my existence, but I was curious. Not sure about the ramp over angles on this one.

VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Re: Was this a factory option? Does anyone know this vehicle

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Looks like a 303 chopped and stretched with a custom roof. Def. not a factory option, whatever the case.

There are long-wheelbase 304's that are 4x4's, but not that long (see the Mly. 304 thread)
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

mad_as_hec

Post by mad_as_hec »

Thanks Vince, I couldn't locate the thread. Do you have a link to it?
Cheers
Hec
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

This 304 version (non-6x6) is a rare form of 30X Volvo. I believe they only exist in Asia.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5697
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

mad_as_hec

Post by mad_as_hec »

THAT thread (my favorite)! Yep, that model was also sold in limited numbers in Australia (best report says less than 20). I know the whereabouts of 3 of the tray backs and 1 van.
michael mcauliffe
Australia

Post by michael mcauliffe »

I know the whereabouts of 3 of the tray backs and 1 van.
mmmmmmmmmmmm..........If they are in Oz, it would be interesting to know where they are ????

Mick
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

michael mcauliffe wrote:
mmmmmmmmmmmm..........If they are in Oz, it would be interesting to know where they are ????

Mick

Michael sent you a PM with a lead

:P
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

mad_as_hec wrote:THAT thread (my favorite)! Yep, that model was also sold in limited numbers in Australia (best report says less than 20). I know the whereabouts of 3 of the tray backs and 1 van.

haha I clicked the link and realised it was my build thread thanks michael.

I'm going to see it tomorrow I believe still no progress as they still not imported the nice new pipe bender to make the external cage. :(

Does not matter im going to fit the marine ply panel I made for the cabin to see if it fits and then get the window placement then I can take it back home and cover it in sponge and green CANVAS and buy the cup stainless screws to attach it when its all completed :)

After being really sick for the past 6+ weeks im looking forward to seeing the VOlvo as I came very close to never seeing it again.
mad_as_hec

Post by mad_as_hec »

michael mcauliffe wrote:

Mick
I can give you hints, but I'm trying to negotiate for one at the moment, in need of a new motor.
Geckoadventure, if the lead is David, we were talking about your rig today. He's helping me out.
michael mcauliffe
Australia

Michael sent you a PM with a lead
Sent an e-mail request - Cheers

if the lead is David, we were talking about your rig today. He's helping me out.
Yep, it is Dave.

Cheers

Mick
mad_as_hec

Post by mad_as_hec »

Dave has done a deal with Eric to swap a pair of 6:1 diffs for your old truck. Nice guy, totally helpful. He has spent a lot of time for me, chasing up the vehicle I want.
michael mcauliffe
Australia

Dave has done a deal with Eric to swap a pair of 6:1 diffs for your old truck. Nice guy, totally helpful. He has spent a lot of time for me, chasing up the vehicle I want.
I assume the Volvo C303's must be out there in general population in OZ, but no one wants to give them up !!

Mick
mad_as_hec

Post by mad_as_hec »

michael mcauliffe wrote:
I assume the Volvo C303's must be out there in general population in OZ, but no one wants to give them up !!

Mick
As far as I can work out, there were somewhere between 20 and 30 tray backs cab-chassis units brought into the country, the majority were bought as spray rigs on the East coast and about 10 (maybe) were bought for the Pilbara pipelline project. It seems as if both long and short (C303+C304) wheelbase 4x4 rigs. I have seen what appears to be a C303 wheelbase truck with a 4000kg (8800lb) GVM. I know where about 11 of these are currently, and there are a few owners willing to part with them for the right money. I will elaborate once I have sealed the deal on the one I am chasing.
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

michael mcauliffe wrote:

Mick
There are a few most of them in FARMS.

One guy has 6-7.
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

mad_as_hec wrote:
michael mcauliffe wrote:

Mick
I can give you hints, but I'm trying to negotiate for one at the moment, in need of a new motor.
Geckoadventure, if the lead is David, we were talking about your rig today. He's helping me out.

Yes it is David. Not sure what happend to the 6x6 he was working on seems to have stopped progress.