Shock absorbers

Issues pertaining to the TGB/C30X series engine and driveline issues
thedoeges

Shock absorbers

Post by thedoeges »

Looking to upgrade my shock absorbers. Does anyone have a suggestion for good shock absorbers for off roading and leaf Springs not ordered through Tatanka? Maybe something cheaper here in the US? Looking at Heystee parabolic springs...
Thanks.
Marcus
thedoeges

Re: Shock absorbers

Post by thedoeges »

On my quest to find an alternative for my worn out front leaf springs, I came across http://www.alcanspring.com/ . The owner is Bill and he has his shop in Grand Junction, CO. If he can't find the spring, he will manufacture it for $600 for the set of two. He does custom work, tweaking the springs to the individual's needs. He also is wondering if the spring of an older Chevy truck would fit, as the dimensions are very close. Do any of you have more specific specs on the springs, before I am shipping my old spring to Grand Junction?

Thanks.

Marcus
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

I bet you can find a match from the available range of models. The last expedition journal magazine had a good test of shocks and actually rated the rancho adjustables fairly high - their testing was done with a coil spring jeep though...
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

I found some ProComps (ES3000's) that fit and felt nice, but this was some years back. I assume they still make the same sizes. I wnated to try the 9000's but never got the chance. I think the 3000's were on sale (which happens a lot) so that's why I went with them. The best thing to do is to take a front and rear shock to a 4x4 shop who stocks those and Ranchos, etc. and get someone there who is used to matching. Sorry I dont have those part numbers around.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

ranicotra
United States of America

Post by ranicotra »

Does anybody have a part # for the Rancho RS9000 ? I'd like to order them online because of an Advanced AutoParts coupon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

I do not have the part number, but rancho has great catalogues on their site so that you can quickly and easily find the correct part number based on external dimensions. Most of them use the same calving ratio so that's not really a significant concern. A note though, ever since ranch departed from the old white bodied RS9000 I have seen issues from multiple people. Not saying they are bad, just be sure to keep your receipt in case. I used to love the old white bodies and still run them on one of my older mog's.
Klug
France

Post by Klug »

I had Procomp (ES9000) on my former Defender 90 300tdi.

They were cheap and OK on roads but not on tracks.
As soon as they get hot, they're useless. And they get hot quickly.

I sold the 90", bought a Range Rover Classic (softdash 300tdi) and did not made the same mistake.
I used Bilstein B6.
Not as cheap but a hell lot better (road and track).