Cleaning out fuel tank

Issues pertaining to the TGB/C30X series engine and driveline issues
thedoeges

Cleaning out fuel tank

Post by thedoeges »

Hello,

Is there any way to clean out the fuel tank from floating debris without having to take the whole thing out? What fluid can I use?

Thanks!

Marcus
Johannes

Re: Cleaning out fuel tank

Post by Johannes »

I´m not sure of which fluid to use but there is some kind of paint on the inside that cause flakes in the fuel.

One solution to prevent stuff from blocking the rear filter is to put a larger filter and wider hose from the tank. It´s a good idea to keep an extra filter in the car if it still gets blocked. That happened to me once in a very bad situation. :(

I´m trying to find a plastic fuel tank from another car to replace mine with but i have not found any suitable yet. I´m hoping to find a large tank, around 100 liters in a shape that somewhat looks like the original one. Probably from a pickup or VW tranporter small bus, motorhome or something or that kind that has a large fueltank.
If you have any suggestions of which car to look for I´m thankful for some help.
Volvo x 3;

Volvo C303, 1976, army version.
Volvo V70 AWD.
Volvo V50.

Planning a C303-expedition with the family to Iceland 2018 with around ten other C303:s. Want to join us?
dadnova
United States of America

Re: Cleaning out fuel tank

Post by dadnova »

My Pinz did the same thing, paint coming off and clogging the fuel filter, I water blasted the hell out of it. My tank has the drain plug on the bottom to drain the water. Followed it up by blasting air into the tank with a leaf blower to dry tank before rusting. Cleaned out everything I could, no problems since.