RHD steering parts

Issues pertaining to the TGB/C30X series engine and driveline issues
THE 109

RHD steering parts

Post by THE 109 »

Can anyone help with sourcing new RHD tie rod ends?
I think LHD ones are available in Europe but I haven't seen anyone advertising RHD items.

Thanks in advance,

Eric
Stekay
United States of America

Re: RHD steering parts

Post by Stekay »

Can't say I'm familiar with them but my instinct is they'd be the same as a LHD unit on the opposite side. Just a thought. :roll:
'76 710K
Warren

Post by Warren »

http://www.alibaba.com/volvo-parts-c303 ... urers.html
Hi Eric try contacting this guy through alibaba (Progi), I contacted him with a similar request a little while back because I was researching converting LHD to RHD. He did get back to me asking for photos of the parts I wanted but as I am converting I couldn't provide photos of parts I didn't have, I therefore didn't follow up any further. He has pretty good photos of all the C303/4 steering joints as well as some other parts and might be worth a try.
Regards Warren.
1985 712 K
2x1978 tgb 1314 amb
2xSubaru Brumby (Brat) ute
1993 Nissan GQ
THE 109

Post by THE 109 »

Thanks Warren,

It looks like they are available but we'll wait and see what he says, I've emailed him to see what the deal is.
Some are minimum 10 pieces per order which I'm guessing are LHD, the others are 30 minimum.

This could be a good thing for all the Volvo owners in Aus.

Cheers Eric
chosenview

Post by chosenview »

If you do go down this route I've always thought if would be goo idea to put a grease nipple on the top. I drilled an old one and could not see why it could not be done. Not brave enough to do it on a brand new one though

Steve
THE 109

Post by THE 109 »

I finally got a quote on new tie rod ends from A-PROGI in Taiwan, they have a minimum order of 30 pieces for each type which gets expensive real fast.

The double joint as fitted to the left knuckle is approximately US $715 each and the single joint around US $540 each.
Multiply that by 30 for each type and add US $300 for shipping and you would be looking at around US $38,000.

Somehow I don't think most people can afford to go down this route, I know it counts me out.

Cheers Eric
Warren

Post by Warren »

WOW! That is ridiculously expensive, he couldn't possibly have a market at those prices
1985 712 K
2x1978 tgb 1314 amb
1993 Nissan GQ
THE 109

Post by THE 109 »

They're keen to make a sale, they have lowered the minimum order to 15 units but won't budge on price.
What would people be prepared to spend on these?
Just want something to tell them, I was thinking around the $200 mark would be reasonable.

Eric
Warren

Post by Warren »

Hi Eric, you have probably already seen that FMV4x4.com have all the LHD joints on their site, 98 euro for the double joint ($144 aud) and 75 euro for the single ($96 aud), I know it doesn't help much except as a comparison as to what to pay for the RHD equivalents. I agree with your $200 estimate for the double joint it should really only be a little more expensive than the LHD stuff, but in the end we don't have a lot of choices when it comes to suppliers particularly for the RHD markets, I have to say I'm surprised but pleased to learn that anyone (Progi) is bothering to manufacture it. That being said have you tried asking any of the Malaysian Volvo enthusiasts that use the forum? geckoadventure for instance. As the Malaysian military Volvos were all RHD their might be a parts source that they know of for said steering parts.
If Progi had realistic prices then using the Forum we might be able to organise a group buy to achieve the minimum order if it were only 10 or 15 but they are a long way off ATM. Happy Hunting.
Cheers Warren
1985 712 K
2x1978 tgb 1314 amb
1993 Nissan GQ
THE 109

Post by THE 109 »

OK, here's the latest from A-Progi:

They are asking how many of each tie rod end we need at a cost of $200 US each.

This is a far more realistic price than the original $715 and $535, it seems they are also willing to drop the minimum number to what we ask for within reason. I'm thinking long term it would be a good investment to buy a couple of sets each, what do you think?

Eric