Part I, the import.

Issues pertaining to the TGB/C30X series engine and driveline issues
aclark79
United States of America

Part I, the import.

Post by aclark79 »

After finding a TGB 1111 on the German C303 forum I thought I had a deal struck and arragned my shipping... fortunately and unfortunately the deal fell through. We were communicating in German and Google translate and I couldn't get the seller to tell me how he wanted the money delivered! Then I discovered he had sold it on the local forum, without saying anything to me about it! Ah well, while I was pretty mad at the time it left me to keep searching and then I found Michael Bach at Bach Int.

http://www.bachint.dk/shop/vehicles-19c1.html

who had two TGB's and two C303's in stock plus a ton of C306s, TGB 40s and more. Not only was the 1978 TGB 1111 in excellent shape appearing to come out of military surplus with everything but the spare tire intact, it had 2600 Km on it and was 4000 euro cheaper! Suffice to say I bought it and it got picked up today and will be in the States just after I get back from work on August 9th. It's going Ro-Ro ship on the Wallenius out of Bremerhaven which means it will be inside the ship chained down as opposed to inside a conex.

I'll be making some threads in the near future about examining it, cleaning it up, driving it and enjoying it!

Michael was super easy to deal with, spoke excellent English, let me keep the truck there for almost month and a half after purchase without any charge and has more trucks available that appear to be in excellent shape.

Thank you everyone on here who I asked for advice or asked questions of, I really appreciate it.

TechMOGogy
Canada

Re: Part I, the import.

Post by TechMOGogy »

Wow - nice truck!!
Looking forward to your update threads once it arrives
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
roobar_and_custard
Australia

Post by roobar_and_custard »

Bach International is a great recommendation. I know of several people here in Aus that are struggling to get hold of TGB11s for similar reasons to yourself.

Good luck with the importation. :D
aclark79
United States of America

Post by aclark79 »

Thanks guys. I plan on posting a lot of pictures as I receive the truck, inventory and asses, clean and upgrade / refurb as necessary and go wheeling.

Bacht Int couldn't have been easier to deal with, the shipping company on the other hand, it's like pulling teeth to get information on the shipment...

If you're in the market for a TGB 11111 or a C303 in excellent shape I'd check out Bacht, if you want a 6x6 they seem to have a ton on the website, but they are listed inder trucks instead of vehicles.
aclark79
United States of America

Post by aclark79 »

So, soliciting advice.

The truck arrives in Tacoma at the port on the 9th of August. I will be staying with my folks up there and then driving it down to Portland Oregon via I-5 (in the slooow right lane with some orange flashers added for the trip).

The truck as advertised is in excellent shape mechanically and shouldn't pose any issues, however I'd love to hear what people recommend to look for, for common issues or problems. This is my first Volvo and it's going to be a learning experience. I have both USAA and AAA so worst case I tow it.
aclark79
United States of America

Post by aclark79 »

The truck is confirmed on the Ro-Ro and headed to Tacoma. Arival, August 9th. It's taking the loooong way there.

The truck is on the Wallenius Asian Vision, a South Korean flagged vessel. Having just departed South Hampton in the Uk and headed to the Panama Canal.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/detail ... IAN_VISION

VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

This will be fun.

Bring some ear plugs for the drive back. Check all fluids before it goes anywhere; you 9 places to check for oil alone. Check each portal hub (no pun intended), diffs, all the grease nipples need grease (shafts, front knuckle joints) transfer, trans., engine and a tiny bit of ATF goes in your carbs... and check your brakes and fluid behind the dash before you get on a crowded road. Make sure you have enough coolant; the Volvo's don't have any room to play there.

If you have the money, those tires need to be changed asap to modern 315/75's radials. The stocks might look cool but are useless unless you are parking it on a farm, and scary on rainy roads.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

63rover
Canada

Post by 63rover »

Take Vince's tire comments seriously! Military paddle tread and variations are like tractor tires, great off-road but very, very scary when you get on wet road and it feels like you are on ice.

Sounds like a great truck! It must be worse waiting for it than waiting for Christmas as a kid!

Enjoy!

Clive
aclark79
United States of America

Post by aclark79 »

New tires are the very first thing I will be getting for the truck.

Checking all the fluids and levels is going to be the biggest challenege before taking it home. I may end up delaying a day before heading home in order to make sure it's done right. Thankfully I'll be in my month off phase of work so I don't have any reason to rush other than wanting to be home.

I am planning on wearing ear plugs and probably investing in some ear protection with the local blue tooth or radio walkie talkies. I'm told its not as loud as other trucks but that's by comparison to what, a really loud thing? I'll wear earplugs to be sure.

I've got a copy of the owners manual in english and will be studying it while I'm here at work and hopefully I can figure out all the places to check fluids and where all the nipples are. Thankfully my parents place isn't too far from the Port of Tacoma so a short drive is in order before I'll really get to crawl all over it.

Waiting really really sucks, especially because the shipper didn't get it organized to make the boat trip which would have had the truck already in the US.
aclark79
United States of America

Post by aclark79 »

VinceAtReal4x4s wrote:
If you have the money, those tires need to be changed asap to modern 315/75's radials.
Any particular recommendations on tires?
aclark79
United States of America

Post by aclark79 »

The manual:

I've started on the manual. Now I haven't printed the massive maintenance manual PDF's, but this is my short term manual. I've also ordered the hard bound one, but of course I didn't arrange to have that one meet me when I get back in country to pick up the truck (before heading home).

I have yet to find a TGB 1111 specific manual (other than one, one page spec sheet) that details any of the differences. Anyone know of one?
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

I had the same issue with tyres for my LR FC 101 - the original bar treads were a shocker. I now have BFG Mud Terrains KM2s 315/75R16 on it and it runs really well. While MTs they work really well onroad and are quite quiet. For my truck they are a bit wide and not as tall as the originals but do work so well.

So the BFGs are a plus for me.

However - as long as your current tyres are Ok I would leave the tyre choice for the moment - get the truck home - use it a few times to see its strengths and weaknesses, investigate alternative tyres like have been suggested here and then make your decision. It took me a long while to investigate and decide and do not regret my decision at all.

Garry
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6
1971 Jaguar Series 3 E-Type Conv
1957 Landrover 88" Station Wagon
1957 Landrover 88"
aclark79
United States of America

Post by aclark79 »

I live in Portland Oregon and the truck is coming into the Port of Tacoma. I won't be changing the tires until I get to Portland, but I'm not to concerned about coming south on I5 at around 55 mph. The weather looks like it will be great, although it's pretty early to say.

I had BFG's on my Tacoma and liked them, but frankly I didn't have anything to compare them too! It's what came with the truck and I was happy with it so I kept the same style when I had to get new tires. I don't plan to go cheap, I think it will be worth getting really good tires at the beginning rather than upgrading later.

If I'm honest most of the driving I will do will be in town on paved roads or on forest service roads. I do want to get out on the jeep trails and as much off roading as I can...

Damnit I'm excitted!

I talked to the dealer I bought the truck from (Bacht Int) and confirmed that the coolant and the oil levels were check and at normal, however they didn't change the oil, filter or waters when they got it from the Army... so that will be the first thing to change.
muttandjeeps

Post by muttandjeeps »

Sent you a PM....
1990 Puch "G"
1974 710M
1982 712A - The farm truck (moved to Montana)
1971 710K (moved to Mass)
1975 710M (moved to VA)
1974 710M
1975 TGB 1111 x2
1980 Unimog U1300