Axle housing removal and installation

Technical articles by owners, for owners.
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

I've had no problems at all with the Doetsch shocks. It isn't like they're suddenly going to make the Pinz ride like a Cadillac, I don't think any shock could. Springs have a lot to do with the ride.

Here's a few photos I took last week when I did the last axle on my Pinz. I'm glad the work is done!

This is the homemade spring compressor in place. Although difficult to use, it got the job done. Suspension work on the Pinzgauer (or any vehicle) isn't for the impatient. I left the spring in the compressor during cleaning and painting.
The home made axle puller in place. Like the other side, this front housing came out rather easily once it broke loose. The boot is ripped, but you can't see it from this angle.
The wheel drive unit ready for paint and a new scraper ring. I got smart and cleaned up the unit BEFORE removal. I primered and then painted with Pinz paint from SAV.
Here you can see residue from Loctite. I did not use Loctite when reassembling, as I don't off road like the military would. Loctite helps hold the housing in place if a raised wheel were to suddenly stop by striking the body of the vehicle or a rock, as the torque would tend to twist the housing, better known as "shock load".
This is the chisel I used to spread the housing. I inserted it between the two clamping bolt holes and hammered it in about 3/4". On the rears you have to loosen the brake line bracket, but don't remove it as it is a pain to tighten it back up, trust me on that.
The housing back in place. I replaced the brake hose and steering damper at the same time. To bleed the brakes I used a pressure bleeder, the kind that resembles a Hudson sprayer, you can see one on EI web site.
The test drive was successful! The front drive oil level has to be checked after the intital drive, I had to add an ounce ot two to each side. The rears were OK.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Re: Axle housing removal and installation

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Pinzinator, Do you still have the pics you had hosted on the other site that you can load here?
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!