Haflinger body lift?

All things body or wiring related

Moderator: TechMOGogy

SDPintheLBC

Haflinger body lift?

Post by SDPintheLBC »

Does anybody know if this has a body lift?

Mark

'72 S.A. 710M
'67 S.A. Haffy
'73 S.A. Condor
HafWit

Post by HafWit »

I was told that a body lift would be very difficult on a Haflinger. What size are your tires?

Greg
HafWit
a.k.a. Phlyphysher, Greg, & Clamphysician
1967 Swiss Haflinger, 1975 Volvo C303
SDPintheLBC

Post by SDPintheLBC »

That is not my Haffy, just a pic I found - but looks lifted.

But I just purchased a set of 185/80r13 Hankook snow tires and some fiat wheels for the road. It would be nice to be able to use them off road.

A friend of mine has a tire shop and he said that maybe I'd be able to have some 13's retreaded with an aggressive off-road tread. If we could get enough interest maybe we could bulk purchase enough to make it economical?
Mark

'72 S.A. 710M
'67 S.A. Haffy
'73 S.A. Condor
HafWit

Post by HafWit »

There are several routes to consider when it comes to tires for these. I can't think of any one tire that would serve all purposes since the typical truck all-terrain tires are too tall for the Haflinger. You might be able to get the smallest all-terrain tire (on 14 inch Fiat rims) to fit within the wheel wells, but you would be rubbing on metal with the most minimal bumps. What seems to be a good compromise is to get some mud/snow car tires for 13 inch Fiat rims (I did that, and I see that you did too). On the original 12 inch rims, you can get various agricultural chevron tires, some of the original Semperit or Maloya tires ($$$), or if you want a purely offroad tire (i.e. not DOT approved), you can use skidsteer or loader tires (5.70-12). Dave Dunn got these for his Haflinger and liked how they performed at Calico. If you have any other ideas, please let me know. I did get some 14 inch rims for mine that I would like to find the perfect tire for.

Thanks,
Greg
HafWit
SDPintheLBC

Post by SDPintheLBC »

I've been looking at some 6-ply atv tires, but the load ratings are not high enough. Max operating pressure is low too. Although when you have them in your hand, they seem tough enough for a tank!

I'm going to look into the retread route.

Do your 185's rub at all?

Thanks,
Mark

'72 S.A. 710M
'67 S.A. Haffy
'73 S.A. Condor
HafWit

Post by HafWit »

I don't have 185s, but that is what Dave Dunn is using as his standard tire on Fiat 13 inch rims.
HafWit