What's the most aggressive off-road tire?

Hafi mods and resto work reports

Moderator: TechMOGogy

OhioPinz

What's the most aggressive off-road tire?

Post by OhioPinz »

What's the best off-road tire available for the Haflinger? 12"? 13"?
HafWit

Post by HafWit »

This has been discussed before here and on the Yahoo group. In most cases you are stuck with a snow/ice tire to get aggressive tread in these small sizes if you also want it to be DOT approved. If you plan to use the tires off-road only, skid steer tires are another option. There are some European tires like the Semperits that are next to impossible to get here, but that would work too. I have some Nokian Hakkepelita snow tires that I like for on-road and off-road duties, but for purely offroad it is hard to beat the skid steer tires. If you get Fiat rims in 14 inch size, there are some real off-road tires available from the big manufacturers, but they are so tall that they will rub with minimal terrain.

Good luck!!

Greg
HafWit
a.k.a. Phlyphysher, Greg, & Clamphysician
1967 Swiss Haflinger, 1975 Volvo C303
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

I had adapters made to accomodate Rhino wheels. They are 25" tall,do not rub and do a nice job off road. Drawbacks; not DOT legal,feel "lumpy" at low speeds,a bit too shiny for my liking. Pluses are you can find sets for under $200 including wheels everywhere,in either aluminum or steel. Just another option.
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
griff1218

Re: What's the most aggressive off-road tire?

Post by griff1218 »

I picked up some DOT legal Hercules Polar Trax from Les Schwab tires. I am running 185/80R13 on fiat wheels and they have been good with no issues. I have run just about every terrain other than deep sand. I did learn they only have them around during the winter months.

For all out off road I would go with the tractor lug tires. I have seen on a couple different rigs at nwmf and they seem good.

Scott