Fiat wheels on a Haflinger

Hafi mods and resto work reports

Moderator: TechMOGogy

pinzinator

Fiat wheels on a Haflinger

Post by pinzinator »

Here's how I went about replacing the skinny stock Haflinger wheels and tires with wider Fiat wheels with Michelins. Fiat is the only company I know of that shares the 4 X 98 bolt pattern and has nice wheels, but unfortunately uses 12 MM lugs. The Haflinger uses 10 MM.

First, find a set of Fiat wheels on Craigslist, these were in Seattle. Search for X/19 wheels.

Get the wheels sandblasted.

Powder coat with RAL 6014. I did this at home.

Have lug nuts made. There is no lug nut available in a 10 X 1.5 that will fit the Fiat wheel, no one makes them. The stock acorn nuts will not work safely, regardless of what you might hear from 'experts'. I made an AutoCAD drawing of this lug nut, contact me off line if you would like a copy in .PDF.

Get some good tires. Off road tires aren't made in 13", so I settled for all-weather Michelins. I can always mount the stock wheels and tires any time I want to.

Ready to go! I can't say how they ride, as I have an inner tie rod removed and won't have a replacement until tomorrow.

Overall view. Not much I can add to this photo.

Here's a spare set of wheels I also found on Craigslist, in case I ever get bored with the current set. I will powder coat these the color of the body.
HafWit

Post by HafWit »

The Haflinger uses the 4x98mm bolt pattern. It is the same bolt pattern as used on a variety of vehicles in the past. Most common is the Fiat, but others such as Abarth, some Alfa Romeos, and other rarities used the same bolt pattern. I have 12, 13, and 14 inch wheels for my Haflingers. The problem is in finding tires that will not rub. There are very few tires with good tread for off-roading that will fit and yet not rub when traversing uneven ground. Many people opt for snow/ice tires for better tread, but the sacrifice is in tire life in warm climates. Alternatively, skidsteer tires can be had that will fit the 12 inch rims--these have great chevron tread for offroading--but they are not DOT-certified and can't legally be used on road. I have some standard tires on 12 inch rims for road travel, snow/ice Nokian Hakkepelita tires on 13 inch rims for routine use, and skidsteer tires on 12 inch rims for pure offroading. I have not found a good tire for the 14 inch rims for offroading--there are many good tires that fit the rims, but they are too tall.

Cheers,
Greg
HafWit
a.k.a. Phlyphysher, Greg, & Clamphysician
1967 Swiss Haflinger, 1975 Volvo C303
HafWit

Post by HafWit »

I didn't look closely at first at your overall picture of the Haflinger--it is funny that you opted to do several things the same way I did. We have the same overall color and the same desert camouflage top. Are those also round Unimog mirrors? Your Haflinger looks great.

Cheers,
Greg
HafWit
a.k.a. Phlyphysher, Greg, & Clamphysician
1967 Swiss Haflinger, 1975 Volvo C303
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

Yes, those are Unimog mirrors that I bought years ago and never used. As for the color, seats, and top, I just copied the way I did my 710M, which is just a larger version. If our Haflingers are similar it is coincidence.
BobbyD
United States of America

Post by BobbyD »

What is that particular color of "sand"

Thanks,
Robert
1971 710K S
N2PNZ
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

Here is the paint code.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

..... The stock acorn nuts will not work safely, regardless of what you might hear from 'experts'. .......
I just saw that comment... pretty reckless of Rick...

There are 2 styles of rims used by Fiat..Steel rims that the Haffy lug nuts fit. and the later "up model" alloy rims that require these custom "shoulder" lug nuts .

Be sure of the type of rims you are using and don't think they are all the same
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
fesm_ndt

Re: Fiat wheels on a Haflinger

Post by fesm_ndt »

A daft question as I Liked this thread.

The larger 12mm lugs cannot be fitted to the Haf hubs?
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)
indigoth

Re: Fiat wheels on a Haflinger

Post by indigoth »

fiats ... another of my interests.

the wheels for the spider 2000 and the 124 series all share the 98mm bolt pattern and some wheels did come in a 14 inch size. fiat afficiandos say they all have similar back spacing ... can't say as i've ever tested them all on my X1/9.

regardless, fiat wheels are somewhat readily available.
fiatplus.com
and
midwest-bayless.com

both have pretty good selections that are both inexpensive and mondo-costly.
years ago, I had a spider 2000 that had these (http://www.fiatplus.com/turbo-alloy-roa ... 79426.html) wheels on it. they were one of the more common versions ... 14" dia, 6" width.