Heating Options

Hafi mods and resto work reports

Moderator: TechMOGogy

Garrycol
Australia

Heating Options

Post by Garrycol »

Here in Canberra and the local area it gets pretty cold in winter (and really hot in summer) so heating in the Haflinger would be nice. I am aware of the exhaust based heating option but I do not have that and it would take a bit to refit. Therefore I am looking for other options.

I can buy cheap 12v heaters off ebay that might work Ok in the small cabin but they pull 200w so that is likely to be a bit much for the small 240w generator. Likewise I can buy a small diesel burning heater out of a caravan that could fit under the dash but that might be a bit of a fiddle to get in and running safely.

Yes I could just rug up more but some sort of basic heating would be nice so any other suggested options would be appreciated.

Thanks

Garry
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6
1971 Jaguar Series 3 E-Type Conv
1957 Landrover 88" Station Wagon
1957 Landrover 88"
M Wehrman
United States of America

Re: Heating Options

Post by M Wehrman »

Get a heated suit like they use for motorcycles,low draw and warm! Some are even rechargeble.
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

google "electric vest" I've been using them since the 80's for motorcycles and open window winter driving. Keep the trunk warm the hands and feet stay warm. :D
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

I remember back in the 70's when I brought my first Haffy and it had no heating I tried everything to warm the vehicle.....I even ran a 4" flexible tube off the oil cooler exhaust into the cab, but that was a failure too! :D
I don't think I was ever warm in that vehicle in winter till I purchased a secondhand Eberspacher and from that time on I never looked back.

Personally I'd fit a new/used small Eberspacher or Webasto....both are available in Australia these days.
The BN2 Eberspacher was a factory/Haflinger Sales and Service option and can be fitted in the front passenger footwell (this is where they were originally fitted) quite easily.
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
NoahDL88

Post by NoahDL88 »

I'll second, or third the heated vest idea. Rode into work nice and warm in 5c today. My jacket pulls 90 watts, so if you have a passenger, the total would only be 180, which isn't much better, but if it's just you it won't be bad at all.

This is assuming the Halfy runs 12v not 24.
1972 710K
Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

Thanks for the input - the idea of a vest is attractive as I could use it in my Fc 101 as well - it has a heater but is also very breezie.

There are now some cheaper self contained diesel burning heaters that would also work.

My priority is to put the Haffy back on the road so when I achieve that goal I will then look at the proposed options. While it may not get as cold around here as areas of Northern America it certainly gets a cold as most of winter UK.

Cheers

Garry
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6
1971 Jaguar Series 3 E-Type Conv
1957 Landrover 88" Station Wagon
1957 Landrover 88"
NoahDL88

Post by NoahDL88 »

You don't have to justify cold, it's all relative to what you're used to. Coming in from 130f to an air conditioned 80 and you'll feel real cold.

Good luck with the halfy
1972 710K
NM_Mogman

Post by NM_Mogman »

I was recently at Couch Offroad and, they were trying out these pretty badass Russian Diesel Heaters. I do not know the details but I believe that they were going to sell for under $1k. The unit is about the size of a 12V air pump but, man, did they put out some HEAT!!! I was told they can run all day & night on about 1/2 gal. of diesel, 100% duty cycle. I keep meaning to call for more info but, life gets in the way. I want one for my 404.0 DOKA, and an extra for the Haffie I will someday own.

I am in NO WAY affiliated with Couch Offroad, nor would I ever be compensated for any sales. I just hope these units might work for cold season wheelin!

Phil