Hafi Heavy Cleaning - lots of photos

Hafi mods and resto work reports

Moderator: TechMOGogy

rustywheel2004

Re: Hafi Heavy Cleaning - lots of photos

Post by rustywheel2004 »

Hi Dan,
The color of your 2nd Haf and Mike's side boards is the RAL7013 Matte Olive. Although the images appear as slightly different hues, you have to consider lighting conditions and camera model color shifting. My Haf looks deep orange with my Fuji digital camera but the proper red with my Leica digital camera.
The color you indicated as "Original" in your photo of the rear engine bay door is L275 which coincides with your Wagenstammkarte sheet.

Cheers,
Steve
Attachments
L275 Light Biege.jpg
L275 Light Biege.jpg (21.69 KiB) Viewed 858 times
1971 NA 700AP
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

rustywheel2004 wrote:Hi Dan,
The color of your 2nd Haf and Mike's side boards is the RAL7013 Matte Olive. Although the images appear as slightly different hues, you have to consider lighting conditions and camera model color shifting. My Haf looks deep orange with my Fuji digital camera but the proper red with my Leica digital camera.
The color you indicated as "Original" in your photo of the rear engine bay door is L275 which coincides with your Wagenstammkarte sheet.

Cheers,
Steve
I agree about camera's (and computer monitors etc) Steve - the 2 pictures I posted previously (posted here as pic #1) are of the same Hafi - my 1971 olive green, RAL7013. So the rear door pic is from the 1971 olive green hafi and really shows the difference lighting and the type of camera can make!
1971 Olive Green Pathfinder - 2 Pictures.jpg
1971 Olive Green Pathfinder - 2 Pictures.jpg (51.44 KiB) Viewed 969 times
The Hafi that I am rebuilding (and got the Wagenstammkarte for is my red/yellow one (picture of paint under window bracket rubber below) - pic #2 - you can see the red, then yellow and the light (what I think is L281) original paint. Note: the dark areas around the edges is just 40 years of dirt and has now been cleaned off, I just don't have a new picture.
IMG_0651.JPG
IMG_0651.JPG (1.3 MiB) Viewed 969 times
From what I can tell it is very "white/grey" and to me looks exactly like the one SAV just sold? (Pic #3)
Which I assume is L281 as the L275 looks much darker to me.
shfull (22).jpg
shfull (22).jpg (92.79 KiB) Viewed 969 times
And just for reference here is a picture of L275 Light Beige (pic #4)
L275 Beetle and Hafi from Museum.jpg
L275 Beetle and Hafi from Museum.jpg (50.08 KiB) Viewed 969 times
Thoughts?
Again, I am not doubting anyone I am just trying to figure this all out!
Bottom line - in the spring I will just go get it color matched and be done with it - it would just be good to have some modern pictures to be able to confirm all colors so someone else can easily paint their Hafi an original color.
Cheers,
Dan

I also made up this - granted it is from internet pictures and everyone's monitor is different but I will post it anyways.
Top: Light Beige L275
Middle: Grey-White L281
Bottom: Birch Green L511
USA Colors.jpg
USA Colors.jpg (5.32 KiB) Viewed 969 times
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
rustywheel2004

Post by rustywheel2004 »

Hi Dan,
Wow! Your picture #1 really exemplifies my comment about different cameras and lighting conditions...I would never have imagined these were from the same truck. Your #2 picture very much tells me that your truck was L281 but this is contrary to the description on the Wagenstammkarte. Yes, picture #3 is most surely L281 (Francis Landry also has a Haf in this color). Picture #4 is L275 on the VW but I'm not sure on the Haf as this truck may be illuminated by sodium lights. Perhaps Constantin can confirm as I'd imagine he has seen it in person.

However, remember that L281 was not only used as a final finish on some Hafs. It was also used as an initial coat on all the NA Hafs that I have encountered. It is most easily found when you start stripping the asphalt undercoating from the platform underside. It is possible that someone had sanded your windscreen support down to this layer during one of its respray episodes. It is also possible that your front cowling may have been replaced due to an accident during the truck's lifetime. I'd take another look around your truck's parts to find evidence of L275 if I were you as this is what the Wagenstammkarte is telling you.

Just to confuse others who may be following this thread, there are two codes for the red found on NA Hafs. For 1968 and prior it is L36Q. From 1969 and up it is LA3A. The earlier code is a "richer" red while the later code has a hint of orange in its tone. There is no change in description on the Wagenstammkartes which span these years and is described simply as "Rot" (ironic when you think about it :lol: ) which is German for Red.

Cheers,
Steve
1971 NA 700AP
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Restoration Garage - not sure if it is a show just in Canada or if it is shown across NA?
http://www.history.ca/restorationgarage
Regardless, I just dropped off all body parts I could remove: bumpers, windsheild, skid plates, tool and battery boxes, rear engine hatch and door, spare tire and gas brackets, rear seat doors, seat frames, side boards, roll bar, rims and a few other small items. These will all be straightened, acid dipped to strip to bare metal and primed.
It was going to be a winter project but with my very limited indoor working space it will be much better to have them do it.
I will paint everything in the spring and hopefully be able to finish up main body work too.
rustywheel2004

Post by rustywheel2004 »

Hi Dan,
Well that's certainly the fast way to "Get 'er Done" 8) .
Yes, I've seen the show. Those guys sure know how to ask for $$. You might take the title of World's Most Expensive Haflinger away from me, haha!
Here's a picture of the underside of my "Rot" Canadian Haflinger with the asphalt undercoating stripped off. You can see the coat of L281 that is beneath the LA3A red.
Cheers,
Steve
DSCF0039a.jpg
DSCF0039a.jpg (73.19 KiB) Viewed 948 times
1971 NA 700AP
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Thanks Steve, but I never expected you to go strip down your Hafi just to show me the color :mrgreen:
Seriously though, that is a great photo to have showing the L281 color.
They can be insanely expensive there but they also do "regular" work and ended up being surprisingly similar in price to one quote from kijiji and another from a local blasting shop (he would not prime so I was not sure what the point was!)
I should have them make a Haflinger out of Magnesium like they did for that Bugatti - it was only 6 years and something insane like 3 million $.
It was actually at the shop and is very impressive but a bit nuts IMHO
For those that have not seen it:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zTI5seuGi2 ... TI5seuGi20
rustywheel2004

Post by rustywheel2004 »

Stripping the Haf down was no problem...always glad to help a buddy :lol:
The Bugatti is beautiful and the workmanship is marvelous but it just isn't the "real thing" so somehow it makes the $3M cost seem insanely ridiculous.
Now if you want to own a very rare and true original then I'll let you have this one for a mere $3M :D .
P1000100aa-091111.jpg
P1000100aa-091111.jpg (98.31 KiB) Viewed 957 times
Cheers,
Steve
1971 NA 700AP
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

If I can get my Hafi to look 1/2 as good as yours I will be a happy man.
I honestly don't know of one that is in nicer condition!
Thanks for posting as it inspires
Cheers,
Dan
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Some "new to me" items headed North shortly
5 Mayola's with rims (will be selling the rims once I sort through them all)
P1280169.JPG
P1280169.JPG (95.62 KiB) Viewed 905 times
BN2 with all the bits since mine came from the factory with one
P1280438.JPG
P1280438.JPG (106.88 KiB) Viewed 905 times
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

So it seems that these 2 pictures are of the same truck - now I am not sure what color this truck really is!
Hard to see it the way I posted the 2 images but they have same front antenna
Attachments
US Haflinger Paint Colors1-001.jpg
US Haflinger Paint Colors1-001.jpg (58.47 KiB) Viewed 898 times
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

In the lower photo many things seem to have too much yellow, looking at the ground around the Pinzgauer in the background and the canvas top on the truck next to the Pinz I’d find the colors in the upper photo to be more what I think is correct.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
cascade.king

Post by cascade.king »

This just in..
The wheels are silver.
You're welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike
1971 North American 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

cascade.king wrote:This just in..
The wheels are silver.
You're welcome.
Yes, I know I am being anal about this but from what I can find no one really knows this stuff along with pictures of Hafi's to back it up. So your all suffering through my attempt to find out.
That or I just don't listen to experts that tell me the correct info :mrgreen:

Edzz
I agree, I think it was camera and lighting that made the 2nd shot look so yellow
rustywheel2004

Post by rustywheel2004 »

Hi Dan,
The Pathfinder in the Puch museum is L281. The lower photo apparently is displaying the effects of lighting/camera abnormalities.
Cheers,
Steve.
1971 NA 700AP
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Post by Heinkeljb »

Dan,

Bite the bullet and go visit the Hafi in the photo! You know you want to.... Good excuse (going to check the colour) for a holiday abroad. :)

Take a colour swatch with you, and mark the correct colour off in person. That way you'll only have one set of eyes that could deceive you!

John