Haflingertreffen Nordamerika 2014

Hafi mods and resto work reports

Moderator: TechMOGogy

Jim Molloy
United States of America

Haflingertreffen Nordamerika 2014

Post by Jim Molloy »

Hello to all,
After careful consideration and seeing the time slip rapidly away, the location for the Haflingertreffen Nordamerika 2014 is going to be shifted a bit inland as well as north this year. The Newport area is beautiful with plenty to see and do but the lodging situation is not very conducive to the needs of this group. We experienced the absolute luxury of what Der Ritterhof had to offer last year in Leavenworth. While the Oregon State parks can accommodate RVs and trailers, that places us in a situation of running up and back on the very busy Hwy 101. It was this very point that convinced me a change in venue was in order.

I had thought of perhaps a return to Leavenworth this year. Der Ritterhof is for our purposes, virtually completely booked at this late date. I fully expected to hear that but I thought it might be worth a try. Leavenworth, WA seems to be an ideal blend of the social and the scenic aspects of the treffen experience. We can all look forward to another Bavarian treffen in the future.

Here is the new plan.
Dates are the same: June 19th-22nd, 2014.
Base of operations: Waldersee Farm, Sheridan, Oregon
Hosts: the Waldersee Family and Zhentu the Magnificent as he visits the northeastern portion of his Blakastani realm

Thursday June 19th
Arrival, setting up camp, socialization, driving around the farm or around town
Evening meal details TBA

Friday June 20th
Up early with breakfast at Coyote Joe's in Willamina, Oregon
From there, driving northwest into the coast range/TSF with the goals to reach the Tillamook Air station museum and perhaps the creamery.
Lunch on the trails or someplace interesting along the way
Back to the farm via the forests
Evening meal TBA
More socializing

Saturday June 21st
Up early again with a drive to Amity by the back roads for breakfast at The Blue Goat.
Continuing the back road tour up to the Evergreen Air Museum
Local winery stops are not out of the question
Lunch either on the trails west of McMinnville or perhaps some other interesting place
Afternoon spent driving roads and trails along the Nestucca River
Return to the farm for more time well spent together.
Dinner on Saturday also TBA

Sunday June 22nd
Stay as long as you like
Leave whenever you choose

Now, for those who really want to stretch out their Haflinger fun even more, the weekend prior to the treffen is Sheridan Days. For more details, please go to:
http://www.sheridandays.com/index.htm
I know at least four of the Waldersee Farm-based Haflingers will be in this year's grand parade at 6pm on Saturday. When we have driven Haflingers in the parade in years past, the crowds have been very excited to see the little trucks. If you were so inclined, you could arrive the weekend of Sheridan Days and join in the town's annual fun including the parade, leave your Haflinger in the safety of the Waldersee Farm and return the following week for the 2014 Haflingertreffen Nordamerika event. You could also just stay the entire time during that interim week if you like.

There you have it. These are certainly relatively "last minute" changes of plans but I think they will prove to be a worthy alternative to what was originally scheduled. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Take care...one and all.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
Sheridan, Oregon
http://www.northwestmogfest.com
walderse@viclink.com