LED headlights

All things Volvo body and electrical!
TechMOGogy
Canada

Re: LED headlights

Post by TechMOGogy »

Would like a report on these in the snow.
I know some LED's don't generate enough heat to melt front/snow on the lens.
Trucklite has a model with a heated lens to solve this but would like to know if your are ok in the bad stuff!
Thanks,
Dan
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
GadgetPhreak
United States of America

Post by GadgetPhreak »

I had no problems with build-up in the snow. The light projected clean and evenly across the landscape and provided good contrast. I've since added Amber lens covers to my front mounted driving lights to add additional contrast when needed..

Here's some additional feedback I typed up for another member who PM'd me asking for input.

I'm running the VisionX Vortex 7" LED headlights. https://www.visionxusa.com/shop/7-vorte ... rrency=USD

PROS:
- Great light pattern, projects light evenly across the driving path with separate small LEDs that project downward facing onto the road right in front of you while also a nice even spread across the road in front.
- They make an optional harness (which I'm running) that allows you to leave the low beams on when you turn high beams on for maximum lighting.
- Easy install, they have a nice shallow cooling fin on the back so they fit really well into the stock location (NOTE: the previous owner had already cut and spliced into the stock harness for aftermarket headlights, which I then cut again and connected into the wiring on the VisionX so I can't comment on how "plug and play" they might or might not be

CONS:
- Cost, they are a bit spendy... but they are rugged and won't ever have to be replaced.
- The Halo rings that light around the perimeter of each headlight won't appeal to everyone...
- The looks are very modern compared to the rest of the vehicle, that works for my install as I've upgraded quite a few things so it fits in the overall look and feel. On a totally stock vehicle I suspect a Truck-lite LED would look more consistent. But again that's subjective.

Let me know if you have any further questions.
Ben
King County Search & Rescue | Regional Special Vehicles Unit
1972 710M - Building up for SAR use
Follow my build, learn more, or contact me: http://www.sarpinz.com
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Took the plunge and bought a pair of VisionX headlights. Gezzz, what a difference :D

Fits perfectly into the bucket and a direct connect to the H4 connector. These are
EXPENSIVE though, but based on comp's with TruckLite it's superior in terms of
lumen output and pattern. As far as I know JW's don't fit. I found a supplier that was
SIGNIFICANTLY less than anywhere else, $600/pair vs. $800 form most :shock:
https://www.streetsideauto.com/search.a ... ds=9892443

If you want the Low + High beans on simultaneously you can buy an adapter to do that. Or
re-wire your Headlight switch, relay, and/or H4 connections to ensure Low+Hi are on
simultaneously when the Hi beam switch is on, a wee bit of tinkering but this can be done.
On my 710, there have been many mods, in part by aka SoCal Pinz allowing both Halogen
filaments to be on in the Hi beam position--which made thinks easy for me. But that wasn't
a good idea with Halogen in the first place given all that heat and a short bulb life -- no
issue now with LED's.

The Halo can connect to the running light, if you like halo's. I havn't decided if I like them yet :?
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
Sonarman
United States of America

Post by Sonarman »

RMEL
The link you posted shows 800 per pair.
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Looks like they just jumped their prices up to match the other guys, e.g Summit Racing, etc. :shock:
Must be that Halo effect :wink:

That link was $600 when I posted! I still have the invoice at that price for the same exact part number.
I guess I should consider myself lucky.

At $800 a pair makes Truck Lite's look a lot more attractive :? It's good product too, juat a click below
VisionX IMHO.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Im curious to see how those lights look on a Pinz. Maybe you could pull the cover up just enough to take a pic of the lower front? :o
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

A peek under the sheets hmmm, dono Vince :P

I need to take a shot of that in the dark. But scroll
backward to GadgetPhreaks posting, he did the
upgrade before me. I thought that was a bold move
on his part, first these are mucho EXPENSIVE, second
could be a door stop if it didn't fit in the bucket. But