Removing rear side panels?

All things Volvo body and electrical!
jlager

Removing rear side panels?

Post by jlager »

Does anyone know how easily the rear side panels come out? I want to have someone make some replacement panels and was going to take the old ones out that they can use for measurements. Before I get too into it though, I was wondering if anyone has taken theirs out and perhaps even have some photos of what they look like taken out? I haven't looked super close but I only see a couple bolts at the bottom of the panel.
Referring to the circled area in the attached photo.
Attachments
20170226_151713.jpg
20170226_151713.jpg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 9293 times
M Wehrman
United States of America

Re: Removing rear side panels?

Post by M Wehrman »

it's a curved square. :D should be easily duplicated by any good fab shop.. Originality is not a big issue with these trucks, as MANY have been chopped up for the awesome axles!
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
Uli-RT
Germany

Post by Uli-RT »

...if your sidepanels are waterproof now, I would not take them out.
The sidepanel is fitted in with a rubberseal and sometimes glued in.
You have to take care not to destroy the rubberseal, otherwise it will be difficult to get it waterproof again.

There should be only some bolts at the downside you have to remove. Rest fits in a groove with seal.
jlager

Post by jlager »

Uli-RT wrote:...if your sidepanels are waterproof now, I would not take them out.
The sidepanel is fitted in with a rubberseal and sometimes glued in.
You have to take care not to destroy the rubberseal, otherwise it will be difficult to get it waterproof again.

There should be only some bolts at the downside you have to remove. Rest fits in a groove with seal.
I took the three bolts at the bottom off but it's still stuck in there pretty good. Guessing it's the seal/glue holding it in still. Will probably have to cut the seal from the outside to get the panel out.

I'm taking them off because the previous owner cut out a large piece of the panel to put in windows. I want to restore it to original but need to bring the panel to a fabrication shop so they have something to work from.
Tamaz

Post by Tamaz »

Quite some time since your last post, but I had mine apart two weeks ago to replace the old rubber sealant that had cracked and was leaking.

Have you got your panels off yet?

The panel is slid into groves at the back and top part and held in place by the three bolts and sealant at the bottom (and maybe back) edges.

If you remove the bolts and cut out the rubber paste the panel needs to be slid forward about 1/2" before tilting it out from the bottom and pulled down.
sidepanel01.jpg
sidepanel01.jpg (333.59 KiB) Viewed 9055 times
sidepanel02.jpg
sidepanel02.jpg (239.98 KiB) Viewed 9055 times
jlager

Post by jlager »

Tamaz wrote:Quite some time since your last post, but I had mine apart two weeks ago to replace the old rubber sealant that had cracked and was leaking.

Have you got your panels off yet?

The panel is slid into groves at the back and top part and held in place by the three bolts and sealant at the bottom (and maybe back) edges.

If you remove the bolts and cut out the rubber paste the panel needs to be slid forward about 1/2" before tilting it out from the bottom and pulled down.
sidepanel01.jpg
sidepanel02.jpg
This is great, thank you so much! I had not gotten my panels off yet (delayed by other issues) so this is very helpful. What did you use to seal them back up again?
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

Use a PU sealant.
jlager

Post by jlager »

This worked well and I got the new panels in. Just need to seal and paint now. Thanks for the help!
Attachments
20170616_130818_resized.jpg
20170616_130818_resized.jpg (198.71 KiB) Viewed 8988 times
Tamaz

Post by Tamaz »

Nice job! I used some generic car body-paste that is UV-resistant, stay flexible even after fully hardening and is paintable.
jlager

Post by jlager »

Finished sealing and painting the panels and quite happy with the results. Took it out for some exercise this weekend:
Attachments
DSC_4172.jpg
DSC_4172.jpg (896.29 KiB) Viewed 8864 times
DSC_4175-Pano.jpg
DSC_4175-Pano.jpg (1.4 MiB) Viewed 8864 times
murrayjp
United States of America

Post by murrayjp »

nice looking rig
is the antenna working or for show