Intro from Malaysia - WR7002 - C304

Volvo TGB and 30X (303/304/306) mods and resto work, news, resources and non-technical stuff
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Re: Intro from Malaysia - WR7002 - C304

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

I'm curious what your under-diff clearance will be with those tires. What is the width on those?

And its just not fair that everyone else can easily get tall-skinny tires. I have 33x10.50's (same as a 255/85) on my Gwagen and I'm stuck with basically one brand in an AT (BFG) with maybe one other option that's hard to find anywhere in the US.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

VinceAtReal4x4s wrote:I'm curious what your under-diff clearance will be with those tires. What is the width on those?

And its just not fair that everyone else can easily get tall-skinny tires. I have 33x10.50's (same as a 255/85) on my Gwagen and I'm stuck with basically one brand in an AT (BFG) with maybe one other option that's hard to find anywhere in the US.
Underdiff clearance approximately 425mm or a little more - they are 12.5" wide. I have to fit beadlocks to deflate them in use we cannot use truck tubes they rub internally and puncture (blow).

Beadlocks from OZZTRALIA being organised slowly.
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

Not much progress with 2 workers down for 3 week a new welder starter last week so the new window wipers fitted they are waiting for a new custom made brass bushing.

Steering is next to have the alloy surround fitted.

deadline is 15 August I have 2 big trips planned.
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

Wahooo progress - Builder has stated next friday will be sent off for sandblasting and painting so I have 1 week to sort out the final colour scheme.

The steering column is getting final shroud and mount finished this week.

new Window wipers all fitted

Pics tomorrow - I hope with new sneakers on also.

It will probably not make the Orphanage trip on 13-16 September damn but i estimate end of september it will be finished.
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Post by Heinkeljb »

Lets hope you new estimate of a finish date is correct or it will be next year(?) before it is finished.....

We need more pictures, it's a really interesting build and I know lots of others are also enjoying your trials and tribulations over it.

Does "trouble" go with you on your trips? Would be really something to have a cat along instead of the more normal dog.

John
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

Heinkeljb wrote:Lets hope you new estimate of a finish date is correct or it will be next year(?) before it is finished.....

We need more pictures, it's a really interesting build and I know lots of others are also enjoying your trials and tribulations over it.

Does "trouble" go with you on your trips? Would be really something to have a cat along instead of the more normal dog.

John
Haha no "Trouble" was a stray cat (4-5eeks old) who sat on my lap at the local bar and I took him home me and him soaking wet. Unfortunately he got hit by a car last week - he gave us 2+ years of wonderful companionship.

Pictures I have none this week as I expected to receive friday - I will get my employees to take pics this week when they drop the donated and now repaired boom box off to be installed during the rebuild

I believe it is being stripped this week ready to sandblast and paint on friday. I cannot get there for next 7 weekends.
-wife birthday weekend
-4x4 trip
-guide on a fishing trip
-4x4 charity trip
-corporate team building 4x4 trip
-kayak trip
-orphanage 4x4 trip
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

Looks like you have a busy calendar over the next seven weeks :D ....you'll need a holiday after all that 4WDriving :D

Rebuild is looking good, it's really coming along.....I look forward to seeing more pics.
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

1 August 2014

Progress pics of the Volvo power steering setup.

New steering wheel grafted in and power steering unit grafted into the steering shaft by an engineering shop.

Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Post by Heinkeljb »

I am sorry to hear about "Trouble". I am sure life will be less interesting with out him.

Build is looking good, but it's going very slowly at present. Maybe it will suddenly all come together and you'll have a working truck again.

John
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

What is the large panel in front of passenger for?
Will passenger be able to see the road/trail?
Power steering will be a nice addition!
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

Sorry if I missed it in an earlier post but I am interested in your power steering - can you either point me to a link or describe it - obviously Volvo but I assume that is the hydraulic power steering box welded in the steering column. If so, what Volvo is it out of.

I have a Landrover FC101 which has a similar layout to your vehicle and I am wanting to put power steering into it but the normal way of doing it involves cutting the front chassis to put the power steering box in but I am not prepared to cut the chassis. Your standard steering column and power brakes look very similar to what I have so am interested in what you have done.

Thanks

Garry
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6
1971 Jaguar Series 3 E-Type Conv
1957 Landrover 88" Station Wagon
1957 Landrover 88"
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

Yes "Trouble"" is a very missed cat no more broken windows from him breaking out, no more ripped up doors when he cannot get out, no more opening the sliding door if we leave it a few cm's open, no more climbing the curtains and wrecking the kitchen chasing squirrels. No more crying at the door 7am to come back in after breaking out. Yes I miss him he had character.

My new assistants

"Fury"

"Fury" the 12 week old kitten thanks to my employees for giving it to us and being "hugged" by "Cheshire" the 11month old wild kitten yes the measuring tape stealing cat.

Last edited by geckoadventure on Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

TechMOGogy wrote:What is the large panel in front of passenger for?
Will passenger be able to see the road/trail?
Power steering will be a nice addition!

The large panel is for switches )start/stop and lights etc) and locker switches it replaces the existing panel which is flush on the existing dash. Inside is the fuse box and wiring as the original fuse boxe area now contains the air cond fan and ducts.

The panel will have 23-27 switches on it. It is designed to be reached from the drivers seat by me when strapped into the 4 point harness.

You can see over it easily it does not impact vision inless you are only 1.00m tall (3feet).
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

Garrycol wrote:Sorry if I missed it in an earlier post but I am interested in your power steering - can you either point me to a link or describe it - obviously Volvo but I assume that is the hydraulic power steering box welded in the steering column. If so, what Volvo is it out of.

I have a Landrover FC101 which has a similar layout to your vehicle and I am wanting to put power steering into it but the normal way of doing it involves cutting the front chassis to put the power steering box in but I am not prepared to cut the chassis. Your standard steering column and power brakes look very similar to what I have so am interested in what you have done.

Thanks

Garry
Allow me to make a description if I can try.
  • The Original Volvo steering column was removed. New one positioned in same place but a little higher as i'm 6'2".
    Nothing below the steering column was changed unlike a lot of conversions here which install a Diahatsu steering column and steering box - ugly and looks unprofessional.
    A power steering unit from USA was installed I believe rock crawling conversion company - Brett has done a similar conversion to his racing rear engine powered LANDROVER and it works fine.
    If the power steering fails i'm back to "normal" effort to steer as nothing has really changed from the original factory unit.
    The 14B-T engine has a power steering output so connection is easy
    The new steering column is from a Honda Civic or similar it has same dimensions
    It was sent to a professional engineering shop to have it all fitted they cut the civic steering column in half and then splined and grafted the power steering unit in.
    Next is a alloy cover around it all to protect me and keep it looking same "age" as the rest of the vehicle.
    I will recover the steering wheel to have a Volvo symbol later.
    I do not have the power steering unit website I used to have it i will get it again.
Happy to answer more questions if this is not enough.

Brakes
1. removed all factory stuff and the additioanl stuff put in place as it was in the rear cabin.
2. fitted front discs and calipers brakes off a Toyota LC II (LJ79)
3. fitted from discs and calipers brakes off a pajero front to the rear
4. fitted a new Merc C200 Brake booster and unit under the dash

yet to test out the C200 unit but the old unit was awesome to stop softly push the brakes down and they would lock up and stop so dam fast simply impressive for a 2.8tonne truck.
Last edited by geckoadventure on Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

geckoadventure wrote:A power steering unit from USA was installed I believe rock climbing conversion company.

I do not have the power steering unit website I used to have it i will get it again.
Thanks for that information - if you are later able to provide a link or advice on the actual power steering unit I would appreciate it.

Cheers

Garry
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6
1971 Jaguar Series 3 E-Type Conv
1957 Landrover 88" Station Wagon
1957 Landrover 88"