Intro from Malaysia - WR7002 - C304

Volvo TGB and 30X (303/304/306) mods and resto work, news, resources and non-technical stuff
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Re: Intro from Malaysia - WR7002 - C304

Post by geckoadventure »

10 February

Morning starts with washing the dusty parts and yeah playing with the puppy.

And the finl result is washed parts eventually and a half washed puppy

Lunchtime and I have the radiator and the intercooler bolted down everything is connected except hose clamps it all takes time including cleaning out threads etc.

Then late arvo it's all hands on deck to mount the two rear panels while I have been testing that all the front panels are fitting and doing final trimming and I take the second hand 80 Series muffler out for a scrub

At the end of the day what do we have well it's starting to look pretty good. It's time to head off to my chinese mums place and collect wifey for the longg drive home.

Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Looks like real progress! Keep the momentum up!
Jim M.
712W and 710M
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

19 February 2016

Friday morning dashed up the 190K to the workshop and arrived just after the workshop opened at 8.10am

Idea was to run arround and get parts etc ready for Saturday and Sunday

After much running around and forgetting parts I pulled the wiring loom out after shoving the wire eating pupppy outside we layed it out for the morning.

So a the end of Sunday what do we have apart from my employee ringing me and saying my RED truck as funny noises from the rear after they took it offroad. So we pack up early for the 20k run down the road to check it out then another 175k home. Fark TOW TRUCK back to Kuala Lumpur turns out the rear locker
tore itself apart after it was stripped today (Wednesday).

We have a wiring loom sitting in the truck all cable tied up and a few connections done. Rear taillight has a broken bolt and rsuted insides so I need new ones from sweden first.

All the wires hanging out of it. The cabin is not on as there is still issues with the engine area. The 12 alternator took me a day to get it to fit properly and belts fitted inluding 2 trips to the spare parts shop to get them correct.

Little Joe has some fun with the puppy after spending 2 days stripping paint.

Then we have a pile of parts to paint or electropaint and anodize.

Oh yeah then the 2 weekend helpers the stripper and the wire man.
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

Sunday 6 March 2016

A quick dash up to IPOH. 1hour 15 mins a new record time and the 190k slides by early in the morning air - go ISUZU.

Finally I have the pesky alternator installed after a couple of days effort

Then it's time to lower the cabin bottom onto the chassis after lunch.

And hey 2 hours later we have it sitting on the chassis

The junior driver Joe

OK so I'm happy is installed

Then we install the service ladder for fun

Monday 7 March 2016

I decide to cleanup the items I have been cleaning up at home and get them painted. Grill, Engine cover, PEdals, Air cleaner, front prop shaft etc

Es gives them a coat of axle undercoat black

Then the cabin had to be removed as the turbo cooling sill not worked out properly and the power steering hoses need to be installed.

I pack the doors to take them back to Kuala Lumpur to work on next weekend. Then it's time or the long haul back to KL.

Sunday 12 March 2016

Doors sitting in the ISUZU at home. I am in 2 minds strip the complete outside of the doors or and and add another coat off paint. I decide strip and reunderccoat and top coats as I don't want 6 layers of paint

Doors ready for stripping

A pair of doors now ready for final sanding and a minor repair and then painting.

Stripping the paint revealed 2 war wounds from it's days as a RIOT squad truck I assume from the grills. They will be further sanded down as part of the character being left on the truck.

I have a growing list of parts to get or deal with. Tomorrow is the dash parts to the powdercoaters.
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Post by Heinkeljb »

Real shame this could not have happened two years ago! You seem to be able to get on and do all the work the "so called" mechanics the garage employed haven't managed to do....

Keep it going = truck should be running by May at this rate.

John
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

Heinkeljb wrote:Real shame this could not have happened two years ago! You seem to be able to get on and do all the work the "so called" mechanics the garage employed haven't managed to do....

Keep it going = truck should be running by May at this rate.

John
It's ok they are under staffed the main guy who did a lot of the work on my truck is now quite sick with many days off work in the past 12 months. I wish it was closer to home it would be easier to get finished at present.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Its very easy to remove those handles. I did mine and had them powder coated. Better than new.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

VinceAtReal4x4s wrote:Its very easy to remove those handles. I did mine and had them powder coated. Better than new.
Thanks for that I will look at that this morning.
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

19 March 2016

Saturday morning finds me and an assistant Rob at the workshop before 8am collect the keys

greet the happy puppy an then go have breakfast and discuss the plan as Rob has to be back in

KL by 4pm.

Rob preparing the dimensions for the cutting out of the service hatch panels and the

surprise. They are to be laser cut and prepare in the coming weeks.

By lunchtime I have quite a bit of the soundproofing done in the cabin.

It's too hot for the workshop puppy he just lies around stealing stuff and breaking it. 39c

is very hot lol.

Then it's time to take Rob back to KL and then dinner refuel and the nite drive back up. End

of the day 570k travelled.

20 March 016 (Sunday)

I also apply paint stripper to the one door I have to work on and commence to get rid of the

body filler. The black is the rust converter.

More soundproofing work continued.

I gotta get rid of these holes. ooks like the welder has to come out and I have one more to

fix and the roof needs a repaint we found a istake which needs fixing.

Even the front of the window is being soundproofed.

The dogs collection of damaged kit.

Then I mounted the doors and checked alignment - opps some bending required.

Then I install the front windows again and try and find the seal rubbers cannot.

21 March 2016 Monday

The overhead instrument console is layed out getting it ready to take to Rob to get measured

up to get laser cut.

Then it's time to do the console instrument layout check with the new steering wheel. The

console will be remade its not right.

I move onto the overhead console and lay it out until im happy with it. It's also to be

laser cut.

Then the afternoons progress is slowed by the arrival of Nazir who has come to collect the

Volvo's old engine for his C303 restore project. Happy restoring Nazir I will come and visit

you in Taiping soon. That is a cool old Chev pickup he has.

Then the final task for the day is to swap the sneakers and empty more junk from the

workshop wow 7 pieces removed in one day.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

More please!
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

So what is the "happy box" that is mounted in the overhead consul next to the Icom radio?

Great photos and work BTW - very impressive and nice to be able to see everything involved in building a top notch rig. Hope the rest of the build continues at this new pace!
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

Haf-e wrote:So what is the "happy box" that is mounted in the overhead consul next to the Icom radio?

Great photos and work BTW - very impressive and nice to be able to see everything involved in building a top notch rig. Hope the rest of the build continues at this new pace!

Ok the happy box. lol

"Happy box"=Music=Stereo lol see im a mathmatician lol

Lol new pace so much its costing me oil change in the poor ISUZU every 6 weeks. Gotta change the oil tomorrow while I visit the Volvo for day trip. The ISUZU dealer is 2k away.
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Post by Heinkeljb »

Your making up for all the lost time earlier in the build! Keep it going and you will actually get to drive the Volvo this year..... :D

John
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

26 March 2016

First task connect the Powersteering inspection reveals the banjo bolt is missing hmmmmmmmmmm I

know just the shop. A quick run down to the parts street gets me the parts I need 8mm 12mm and

10mm hoses and connectors etc

Then the task of fitting the turbo water inlet. Since we had to chop the top of the thermostat
housing off which contained the turbo cooling inlet and outlet taps. We have a donor location
from the left side of the engine unfortunately. Worked it all out another trip to the hydraulic
shop and the same assistant lol.

On the way back I drop into a chop shop collect 12 military boxes and 6 special ones. Reveal on
these later and also pickup a diesel filter and housing as this was missing from the engine
when I bought it.

More puppy damage a new scraper destroyed before I even used it.

Then the arduous task of removing the broken sump bolt. Drill it out then try and find the
eaziouts I bought in the morning. Searched for ages could not find. In frustration I climb the
office stairs and then spy a pile of rubbish near the Landrover and investigate yes the eazi
out packaging destroyed along with the plastic case.

Recover the eazi outs and finally have the errant bolt out. Victory finally. Now sump can have
the oil temp sender fitted and fit it back.

Turbo cooling hoses connected. The turbo shielding needs work. Will install this one and build
another fancier one out of alloy in coming weeks as this one has transport damage.

The left side of the engine almost completed change al of the vacccum hoses to new blue silicon
until I ran out more needed. Only 2 pipes need sorting out still. Power teering pump hoses all
connected - mounts to cabin but that may change soon as engine needs to drop out as a complete
unit from the cabin.

Hometime 7.15pm and long horrid drive home ensures in the dark. The brakes stink by the time I
get to the restaurant in KL by 9pm from the heavy braking from 150-170kph constantly.

Next visit we will be changing the wiring loom to split it with a military plug at the cabin
and hopefully filling the engine with oil and starting it. Well it's the goal.
The consoles may also be cut and eady for test fit. The dash's will also be fitted and the air cond parts.
roobar_and_custard
Australia

Post by roobar_and_custard »

Serious progress happening here!! It's really coming together well and looking great now.

Keep going - I can't wait to see the finished product. :D