Disc brake conversion!

Volvo TGB and 30X (303/304/306) mods and resto work, news, resources and non-technical stuff
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Disc brake conversion!

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

I just talked to Martin who owns Tiger Expd. in Germany. They are working on a full disc brake kit for the C30_ series Volvo. No more info yet. Hopefully they get this worked out and available for sale.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgx6GIENPZI
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

geckoadventure
New Zealand

Re: Disc brake conversion!

Post by geckoadventure »

its already done.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

This looks like a better approach to me but I could be wrong. Are the other guys still around? OMT was one I recall but haven't heard much in the last few years.

Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

Interesting they went with a PCD of 5x130 which is the G-wagen and diesel Pinz pattern. Looks like the 13 inch discs are so large that 17 inch rims are required.

Do you recognize the rims they are using? They look like they are steel - says they have an ET of 65 and are 9x17.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

From them "mercedes/vw/porsche PCD, which is 5x130 with 84mm centering and M14x1.5 bolts.... The wheels in the video are our own design 9x17 steel wheels to fit this conversion. Most 16" steel wheels will not fit over the brake, but for example the 8x16 double Beadlock wheel by TIBUS fits."

Those are 37" tires. I question what that does to the power though.

Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

I suppose that with the lower gearing of the 6x6 versus the 4x4 it might be ok with 37 inch tires?

Real double beadlock wheels dont have to have a drop center like a normal rim - so the inside diameter can be larger.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

True but that's a good bit more tire mass and the taller gearing have to really challenge that B30 motor; it's already mostly maxed out on the 4x4 at 1:1 with 35"'s on the slightest hill, and that's with a lot less weight. I would also think the already bad mileage would drop further, probably down to 8mpg at speed.

Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

Even with the weight of the 6x6 I am surprised it needs to use twin calipers on the front - given the 6x6 performance a good single caliper should have been good enough. Nevertheless seems like a quality conversion.

garry
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6
1971 Jaguar Series 3 E-Type Conv
1957 Landrover 88" Station Wagon
1957 Landrover 88"
roobar_and_custard
Australia

Post by roobar_and_custard »

The Volvo 6x6 has a twin servo brake system which supports twin front calipers without having to "re-plumb" the brakes. The brake balance calculations also suggest twin calipers are appropriate for front to rear braking bias. The system balance then also allows for common calipers throughout.
The Pinzgauer manages this the same way.

Below hopefully helps - top is the Volvo 6x6 brake system, bottom is the Pinzgauer caliper set-up.
Attachments
Volvo 6x6 Brakes.PNG
Volvo 6x6 Brakes.PNG (626.74 KiB) Viewed 1475 times
tiagra

Post by tiagra »

Hi guys, this is Martin..

to end speculations: roobar* is exactly right. The overall layout is a complete Pinzgauer 716/718 copy, while retaining the (much better) circuit layout of the Volvo.

We use, just lik the Pinzgauer, identical (ok almost, there is a slight left/right difference due to differential piston setup) calipers all around to have the best spareparts availibility in case of failure: Just steal one from the rear and put it in front. With that approcach you can go anywhere. Same with the discs. Front almost worn? Put it in the rear and it will last a lifetime. Something like that.

As for overall dimensioning: Yes a single caliper could have done the job aswell. But which caliper with a single piston equivalent of almost 80mm do you know? Right... none. So we would have to use some special 6 or 8 piston caliper or some dual whatever floating type and have several problems: Wat to do with the dual front cirtcuit? What about or nice idea of identical parts? And so on. We use differential piston setup for even brake pad wear. So a caliper contains 2x38.6mm and 2x41.2mm pistons, resulting in an equivalent of a single ~80mm piston. For comparision: Pinzgauer would be at around 76mm. Not that far away. We use biggeer, vented discs and need to compensate for much larger wheels, that's the reason for a little more volume in the calipers.

I have posted some updates and answers to questions over in the swedisch forums, you might want to take a look aswell: http://www.terrangbil.net/forum/index.p ... 320/page-2

Hope this helps,

.martin
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

Roobar.......I thought those brake pics looked familiar :D
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
tiagra

Post by tiagra »

Ok guys,

we have finalized our supply chain and I have put up some preliminary info on possible kits. Feel free to comment on errors and missing info, I will try to add them. If you are interested in different confogirations or whatever, feel free to eMail me and I will see how I can help you. We are currently waiting for some feedback from German authorities regarding legalization in Germany, so we need a little more time (even though this topic is irrelevant for all non-German registered vehicles). After that we'll probably open a 3-4 weeks time frame for grouping definite orders. After closing date, all orders will go into production. Since we do not have the funds to stock this stuff, you will have to decide within that time frame, if you want to have on of these kits.

Here you go: http://shop.tigerexped.de/Spezial

Martin
tiagra

Post by tiagra »

As I frequently get the question about dual front calipers making sense or not, I have written a medium length answer with not too much math on the Swedish terrangbil forums. Might be of interest for some people here aswell: http://www.terrangbil.net/forum/index.p ... /?p=147440

Because there seems to be some interest from you Aussies: Shipping will be pretty expensive, so I am thinking whether we could find people to group purchases to save on shipping costs. Not sure how much sense it makes, since Australia is pretty large.. but maybe worth a thought. Checking shipping rates these days to get an idea about what we're actually looking at here.

Ciao,

.martin
tiagra

Post by tiagra »

Hello guys,

I have VERY good news: German registered cars will have the chance to get this setup legalized, we'll hold a special test session on Germn TÜV proving grounds in late October this year. All calculations look good and we are good to go now.

This means: We will start taking orders NOW and all orders that have been paid by September 1st 2016 will be part of this production run. It is uncertain whether there will be future production runs, because we always need a minimum number of cars to make it feasable. So if you are thinking about it, now is the time. I will try to personally get back to people who voiced their interest in the past, but not sure I can catch all of them. Feel free to share among your friends, this might be the one and only chance.

See ya, I am EXTREMELY happy now ;)

.martin, just back from talks with TÜV