Intro from Malaysia - WR7002 - C304

Volvo TGB and 30X (303/304/306) mods and resto work, news, resources and non-technical stuff
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Re: Intro from Malaysia - WR7002 - C304

Post by geckoadventure »

Latest update

Workshop done nothing to my truck for 2 months except move it to a new location in the workshop.

Work will commence next weeek.

I have given the deadline date 15 April 2012 as it is needed for a trip on the 27th and I need a weekend to test it all out (and hoping no issues) .

So next set of pics may be the unveiling of the finished product.
mad_as_hec

Post by mad_as_hec »

geckoadventure wrote:YEs they are MISTSUBISHI (MISSY BITCHY :wink: or MISSING BITZ)

common over here after the DISC conversion. Too many issues with the LR Brakes in the MUD so DISC conversion is done.
It is hard to tell from the angle in the photo, but they look as if they may have a better offset than the Mazda wheels, keeping the track width closer to original?
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

Why am I being to stupid I have a set here unless I already taken them to the workshop I will get a pic of them.

They are very close to the original offset. They come of the MISS BITCHY PICKUPS.
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

Went down to the workshop saturday to discuss whats left to do and the issues with this. ANy feedback on the ruining of the oriignal POLICE look is welcomed.
1. External "roofrack" sorted out (roof rack here as external rolll cages not allowed. I'm going to loose 6" behind the CABIN (this is a CAB/TRAY vehicle as delivered to the Malaysian Police).
2. The Radiator is being mounted on the LEFT Rear of the CABIN scoop from roof to pull air down. Radiator from USA to be imported. This when mounted will give me 4'10" of MUD before the MUD touches the RADIATOR :)
3. Intercooler to be mounted on the RIGHT side same height same reason and the AIR cond condensor also.
4. REAR canopy to be made of ALLOY over steel frame. front 1/2 of the rear will be a raised PLATFORM of approx 19" to allow 4 military boxes per side to be slipped in. Left side will have a slide out DRAWER for the COOKERS. The rest on the same side will have drop down panel for kitchen PREP. exactly same as I have in my TOYOTA TROOPy now so we know this design works.
5. The side panel for this side will be lift UP (from below the fuel TANK) to provide shelter to cook under and gas struts to hold up
The other 1/2 of the left side will be DROP SIDE and lift up and out for shade etc
6. The RIGHT side will be drop sides and lift up doors with gas struts.
7. The area between cab and chassis on right will hold recovery STRAPS and recovery kit and possibly the highlift JACK.
8. The rear will be swing down twin SPARES and drop rear and lift up and or off door for kayaks etc to stick out of.
9. The front where the Radiator used to be will be 40 liter water TANK (and pump to kitchen area) and a 12V SOlar battery and will be blocked. The built in fan from the intercooler will provide the air movement under the gearbox etc.
10. SOlar PANEL on the roof.
11. Inside cabin sound proofed and im looking at GREEN canvas over 6mm marine ply to finish it with nice fastenings (quick release). STereo and VHF radio and GPS etc and of course AIR COND.
12. 5MM alloy 5 bar checker plate for the rear floor. SInce I have over 200lb of winches (3 winches) sitting over rear axle saving weight is cruicial 8)
13. LED lights all 12V.

14. Paint job will not be military look due to ever driving it through southern Thialand I may become a target for the militants
Basically I can pack everything under the platform in 8 military boxes head off to the jungle and it will look empty in the rear :)

It's going to end up looking like a DAKAR truck reminiscent of the VOlvo 1983 entry :)

due to be finished 15 April 2012.
Last edited by geckoadventure on Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doccers

Post by Doccers »

I can't wait to see the finished photos of this project. :)
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

I am now at the point of starting to finish/build the interior of the cabin. I am planning to use stickon Soundproofing inside the cabin then a final cover of green canvas glued to 6mm marine with quality quick release clips to enable the panels to be removed. do you guys also use anything else for keeping the heat or the cold (haha cold in a tropical country) out or will a soundproofing layer suffice too keep the cabin cool with the now installed air conditioning installed.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Exactly what materials are you using for sound control? I assume you are starting with a base of dense, aluminized rubber-like (dynamat or comparable brand) material directly on the metal?
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

Vince yes I am using the standard Dynamat materials. WIll be applied after the repaint of the interior. I do not want to put much else in to stop moisture getting behind and causing rust issues.

MEantime im preparing the 6mm Marine PLY boards which will be covered in green CANVAS to cover the bare interior with some nice clips to finishe it off
michael mcauliffe
Australia

Post by michael mcauliffe »

14B-T engine dropped off for installation to replace the B30A engine . 14B-T is 3660CC 4 cyl turbo diesel from Toyota (Hino/Diahatsu). its 5" shorter than the B30A and a lot heaveri - does anyone know the B30A weight the 14B-T is approx 375KG.
Just a quick question :

How would the 14B-T diesel motor go in a C306 (6x6) ? Would it be underpowered ?

Also geckoadventure, how much would you say the motor conversion cost you all up and was the motor complete (with all components ready to install) ?

Cheers

Mick
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

michael mcauliffe wrote:
14B-T engine dropped off for installation to replace the B30A engine . 14B-T is 3660CC 4 cyl turbo diesel from Toyota (Hino/Diahatsu). its 5" shorter than the B30A and a lot heaveri - does anyone know the B30A weight the 14B-T is approx 375KG.
Just a quick question :

How would the 14B-T diesel motor go in a C306 (6x6) ? Would it be underpowered ?

Also geckoadventure, how much would you say the motor conversion cost you all up and was the motor complete (with all components ready to install) ?

Cheers

Mick
Mick

14B-T has 300NM+ of torque ample to push the Volvo along.

14B-T here is not cheap - $12,000rm ($4000USD approx) then the fitting (which was very very simple new engine mounts) and gearbox adapter plate. Probably has cost another 2K or less to fit and its RUNNING. However its 24V so you would have to do 12V conversion (starter and Alternator and air cond). However where you are a 1HZ might be the go or dare I say it a Nissan 4.2? FOr us a 14B-T is much cheaper to rebuild. Motor was complete and running and tested before we took it away.

The 304 and 306 not much difference except the DIFF ratio. Cannot remember of you can swap the 306 ratios to HIGEHR ratios. YOu will loose a little speed but we do not buy these for speed but function.

You might wanna consider dropping 14B-T and H55F gearbox in instead . If I bust the "Z" gearbox then I also have to go down this path and I must move the engine foreward as the H55F is considerably longer.

Im getting itchy to drive my truck .
mad_as_hec

Post by mad_as_hec »

michael mcauliffe wrote:
Just a quick question :

Cheers

Mick
Hey Michael, I have an aftermarket turboed 14b in my Dyna. It pushes 7000kg along at 110km/h quite easily (125 max), with far more frontal area than the C306. Although the gearing is the big issue. If you could fit the double-overdrive H50S gearbox (0.63:1) between the 14bt and volvo transfer, it would be ideal. About 2770rpm @ 110.
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

Has anyone heard of these guys before or used any of their KIT? I am looking at this model for the new DASH for the Volvo.

Dakota Digital - Digital Instrumentation and Accessories

Many thanks
Gecko.
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

Is there a tire inflation kit for a VOlvo?
Doccers

Post by Doccers »

geckoadventure wrote:Is there a tire inflation kit for a VOlvo?
I know Team Havast set up a CTIS system for their C304, but I haven't been able to find anything about it. I think it was a one-off system, but if you can find a contact for them they may be able to build one for you... I haven't been able to find contact info for them, but I haven't exactly looked very hard yet.
mad_as_hec

Post by mad_as_hec »

There was supposedly a C303 built by the factory with CTIS but never put into production. Dakota gauges look good. Very popular in the custom car world.