Made some new Rub Rails out of Composite PVC

Volvo TGB and 30X (303/304/306) mods and resto work, news, resources and non-technical stuff
MadMax

Made some new Rub Rails out of Composite PVC

Post by MadMax »

The old oak rails on my volvo were in really sad shape when I got it and have not improved in the time since then...

Noticing this, I decided to fabricate some new ones using a more modern material, composite PVC, which is very inexpensive and readily available at the local big box DIY store. (a 12'L x 1.5"x1.5" square runs about 20$ for two, another 20 for stainless hardware for mounting). Underneath the PVC, between the rail and the truck body, is a layer of rubber that comes in a roll for under 20$ and is used for lining the bottom of tool drawers. The rubber is permeable very similar to a diving wet suit but more dense, which lets the water drain and the air dry them through (as long as you dont over-compress them when tightening!). I used rubber-backed compression washers under the nuts on the inside, after pushing the bolt through from outside.

Here you can see a couple comparison shots of the new and old ones:

Here is how they look during the test mounting. They are white now but I will be covering them with "flex seal" rubberized coating (after a light sanding to give some tooth to the finish) so they will be black to match all the other details. Pardon the grey primer sprayed here and there, I am in the process of touching up the camo paint scheme and protecting some exposed areas (until I can remove all the paint and do a proper job of it someday.)

Notice the nice new paint job on the roof rack, which is now back on top of things after 4 years of waiting to get done.

I will be rewiring the front roof rack addition with LED bulbs in those holes to replace the halogens that were in there and not working.

I like the more chunky look of the rails vs. the older size. Remains to be seen how they hold up, but I imagine they will do well. I have used the CPVC material before for window frames and trim, its very workable, not as hard as industrial nylon or ABS, but nearly 1/10th the cost. If they do get damaged, not hard to replace, I have spares set aside.
Where science and technology fail, art survives.
MadMax

Re: Made some new Rub Rails out of Composite PVC

Post by MadMax »

Im also trying to decide if, before I paint them, I should run them through the table saw and put a down-angle on the tops of them to facilitate water drainage. Im not sure it will be that much of an issue, but would love input on this.
Where science and technology fail, art survives.
Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

MadMax wrote:Im also trying to decide if, before I paint them, I should run them through the table saw and put a down-angle on the tops of them to facilitate water drainage. Im not sure it will be that much of an issue, but would love input on this.
if the rub rail isn't wide enough to hold your beer (can or bottle) then there is nothing to lose with a down angle.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
Brickren
United States of America

Post by Brickren »