Made a mirror mount with what I had...

Volvo TGB and 30X (303/304/306) mods and resto work, news, resources and non-technical stuff
MadMax

Made a mirror mount with what I had...

Post by MadMax »

...some of which ended up being pieces of steel designed and tested to go under the heat shield of one of the space shuttles, because AMERICA!

I got the steel from my SO's father, who worked for General Dynamics Space Systems Division for many years. Its T3 something tungsten alloy something alien something something. I think if the rest of the truck was put in a smelter at just hot enough to melt everything to liquid, that steel piece will basically be floating on top and kindof warm.

I had a mirror which came with the truck in a box of parts, so I sanded, refinished it, but was missing some of the mounting hardware. All I had was the top retaining plate with the cup in it, but nothing else. The mirror has a solid arm mounted on the back with a ball on top.

I drew up this highly accurate schematic

Basically, a yoke which would fit underneath the ball on the mirror arm, held in place from above by the plate and some fasteners.

The one thing I did not have in that drawing was the rubber grommet I popper over the round ball on the mirror arm so I could use compression to hold the mirror in place. You can see the edge of the rubber grommet and the way the steel yoke comes together under it, the mounting screws pulling it all together.

Thats not rust in there yet, that's "character" still. Not much of a view afforded by the rear window, but it's something I felt it should have. It works perfectly, and the rubber grommet holds it well in whatever position with no noticeable vibration when driving.
Where science and technology fail, art survives.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Re: Made a mirror mount with what I had...

Post by TechMOGogy »

You know you can buy the whole assembly for $3.00 on ebay right?
Ha - just messing with you, looks like a fun project.
Did you use your fancy Russian water welding thinga-ma-bob to cut the metal?
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
63rover
Canada

Post by 63rover »

I found a suction cup to the wind-shield type. Unfortunately it fell off on the first significant bump. Now it is back on with some high quality silicon in the cup. No problems now. $5 at the local surplus store. (Princess Auto)
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

I glued a suction cup windshield mount with a small, convex "child monitor" mirror (for checking up on children in the back seat) to the center of our 710M's windshield. Small, and works well for the visibility available.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

I did not use the multiplaz welder thingy on the steel. I just used a hacksaw and a couple of drill bits. The steel cuts easily enough, it has amazing response to heat, however. I think it is actually some type of ceramic-metal hybrid, honestly. When struck, it sounds and feels exactly like glass or tile.
Where science and technology fail, art survives.