Intro from Malaysia - WR7002 - C304

Volvo TGB and 30X (303/304/306) mods and resto work, news, resources and non-technical stuff
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Re: Intro from Malaysia - WR7002 - C304

Post by geckoadventure »

mad_as_hec wrote:Option 3. Ranger overdrive,
http://www.high-impact.net/transmission ... rdrive.htm
Designed to go between bell housing and transmission, not sure how difficult it would be to adapt to the Volvo gearbox. Only thinking on that option, which adds 7.5" to the drivetrain length because the 14bt is 5" shorter.
Now thats nice. I do not see an issue with weight as this is 80lb so handling will not change much.

Can you PMme the price im interested as I can keep the ZF gearbox also :)
mad_as_hec

Post by mad_as_hec »

http://www.tellico4x4.com/index.php/cPa ... 80_87_3027

Various places sell them, shop around for the best price? It would all come down to being able to get a drive sleeve made up or matched to the ZF input shaft.
If it could be made to work, I could see the 14bt/ranger/ZF becoming a popular conversion option. 3100 rpm is an easy task for the 14bt to sit on all day at 100km/h with the 6:1 axles. 7.1:1 would bump it up to 3700 rpm which is slightly out of the "comfort zone" but still achievable. Beautiful thing about the Ranger is it sits IN FRONT of the gearbox, so the gearbox/transfer has no extra stresses put on it. Now I wonder if there is a way to stack 2 rangers end to end and move the gearbox back another 8".....
Last edited by mad_as_hec on Mon May 14, 2012 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
michael mcauliffe
Australia

Post by michael mcauliffe »

Now I wonder if there is a way to stack 2 rangers end to end and move the gearbox back another 8".....
Now that's just being plain greedy !!! :roll:

Mick
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

Work has started on the rear FRame see the arrow

The kitchen area layed out with 4 boxes. The farest away box will be a slide out draw for the cookers.

The cockpit with the air cond unit under the passenger front

The pilot seat with the mockup dash sitting in it. It will all be lifted about 50mm and the left side about 100mm during the rear dash makeup.

Over the weekend - Saturday I arrived at the workshop 11.00am and left 4.30pm
We discussed over 5 hours so much stuff

1. I sat in the pilots seat and we put a seat in and sorted out the DASH position and what it will look like - next time I go up a blank new DASH will be made which will allow any control to be reached while wearing the harnessss seatbelts. sinx im 6' 2" it has to be correct for me and the SHORT friends who will drive it. as it is a small very cockpit and we are not changign thelayout at all.

2. We discussed at length the new pipe bending machine (the quality of the bends is unbelievable not one crease) and the location of all components of the "ROOF RACK" the KAYAKS have to fit somewhere and the design completely including position of LED LIGHTS hanging off it. After watching a MAN DIESEL in the BRESLAU and a few VOLVOS (all cabovers) I changed the location of the LED light rack to on top of the roof as all VOLVO''s go a long way into the water/MUD on entry - oops (usually up to the bottom of the window). The whole roof rack will be tacked together in 2-3 weeks ready for my viewing.

3. The LED lights will allow FLOW of air over the roof to the RADIATOR scoop and INtercooler SCOOP.

4. The positioning of recovery kit was decided and including the highlift JACK and shovels etc

5. I cut and fitted the rear cabin panel then we looked at it and BRett said I can make it easier and nicer we use the new alloy composit material - he showed me and im hooked 3mm thick and LIGHT as and easy to work and even easier to clean and it will lighten up the CABIN - same for REAR CABIN also. The outside of the rear cabin will also be same material means I do not have to paint it - colours we are thinking of are GREEN or RED or bright PINK .

6. All electrics apart from the WINCHES and the STARTER and alternator will be 12Volts a 12V alternator to be fitted soon - I will now proceed to order all the parts slowly there is a list of about 30 items to be purchased - List later im still flabergasted after I starting writing it out

7. The rear cabin will be totally ALLOY protected by the "ROOF RACK" - man it will be light I estimate under 100kg. It will also be prepainted as it comes in COLOURED allow so all I have to do is pick the colour I like (BRIGHT YELLOW) and thats the final lCOAT . Then the cabin has to be paited to match only. Saves me about 2-3,000 in painting the rear inside and out.

8. 1 Month has been allocated to do the wiring alone.

9. Position of everything inside the cabin worked out Wiring BOX will be on the roof and flip down and a full length console for securing stuff. Air conditioning controller already installed.

10. Radio and VHF will be on the roof.

11. KILL switch for everything will be in reach of both PASSENGER and PILOT.

12. Rear floor will be wait for it a PLASTIC FLOOR - LIGHT 10mm thick and everything proof - it comes from NZ and is for CHEMICAL cabinet making More on this one later.

13. We discussed painting and underseal and soundproofing. Once the cabin is finished it will be removed and sent to Kuala Lumpur once I find a place to underseal it here. Then take it back to IPOH (it may even be painted in Kuala Lumpur first also since we only have to colour match it to the rear external panels). Then the internal soundproofing can be installed and then the alloy finishing and the fitting of the dash and the overhead consoles and the wiring can be completed.
michael mcauliffe
Australia

Looks like it's coming together nicely !!

Can't wait to see it finished :D

Mick
mad_as_hec

Post by mad_as_hec »

Looking good with the progress so far . Are the health issues still slowing you down? Any further details/Photos of the F5000 steering setup?
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

My health is now fine thanks I appear to be getting over the after effects with the cronic fatigue fading away and not so common, a recent medical checkup gave me the all clear. Hard to believe is 3 months and it took me that long to recover.

After this I went for my first kayak trip in 3 months and spent 2.5 hours paddling on flat water and pulled up fine.

No pics of the F5000 kit yet he has not bought it . I assume it will be bought in due course presumabky after he has mounted the radiator.

I saw another setup done recently to a VOlvo - Hilux steering wheel, ISUZU cabover steering box and used the 2.5 1JZ power steering pump and they welded a bracket to the chassis and reversed the steering arm - I was so disgusted at the "sloppiness" I did not take a picture. The steering wheel etc did not match the look of the volvo.

I hope to have a lot more progress in 3+ weeks.

This weekend visit sick realative and then go paddling sunday

Next weekend KL Marathon so helping the blind kids sunday morning - saturday at local 4x4 shop for lunch and a meeting and check on some spare parts stuff for the Volvo

Radiator due to arrive from USA on 30th week at sometime :)

Weekend after Cengal Besar 4x4 trip (malaysia's biggest and oldest tree (1330 years))

Then a day trip to a waterfall (8th July) then finally 14 July Weekend can go see the Volvo

We also have to find out why all the oil has leaked out of both DIFFS all over the floor :( pretty bad considering the crown and pinins were both replaced and all sealed up. Brett is quite concerned and is going to see why.
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

Finally some action

Builder rung me this morning

ENgine mounts rebuilt as they forgot to make them BOLT on and realised engine could only come out if CAGE/CABINs removed and out the top - oops. Fixed last nite.

12v ALternator being installed today

Battery box where the radiator used to be built and ready.

I will deliver the radiator to him tomorrow (Saturday) as they starting the CAGE next week. SO I will finally have progress pics to post.
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

20-07-2012

Got to visit the Volvo (C304 4x4) Saturday. It was in pieces again

Cabin one side of the shop. The new 12v battery box sitting in the front and another to be made beside it.

Through the rear panel into the cabin.

And the chassis on the other side

The Engines mounts redone so they can be unbolted.

The 12v Alternator is being mounted in reverse on a bracket so it faces back to the engine as there is no room for it to actually sit on the engine.

The new radiator built for a hot rod from Summit racing in the USA. If you think its big is 18" wide by 31" high

The final pic is the BUGGY look.

Another visit in 3 weeks when the exo cage is built.
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

3 Aug 2012

Update as at today I was told
  • Alternator fitted and ready

Cabin fitted back on to chassis
Nothing else done all week

Next week they have two workers doing the exo cage.

I will find out when I get picture sent next friday.
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

Saturday's visit a bit of a surprise the roof rack has started. The first two hoops done.

Two weeeks the exo roofrack will be completed.

Took a customer for a 4x4 trip along with me the VOlvo just blew him away he had never seen one.
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

michael mcauliffe wrote:Looks like it's coming together nicely !!

Can't wait to see it finished :D

Mick
Neither can I costing me a fortune in fuel and tolls running up and down.
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

A customer view of my world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qehtKIBk6X4
michael mcauliffe
Australia

Nice footage of your rigs and 4wding tracks in the jungle !!
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

Yay progress

The external cage/roofrack is taking shape.

The front view still not complete.

Side view

The rear tray floor frame is also taking shape.

The Radiator on the left and the intercooler hanging in place on the right will be the exhaust.