My build

Volvo TGB and 30X (303/304/306) mods and resto work, news, resources and non-technical stuff
chosenview

My build

Post by chosenview »

http://www.pearman.cc/blog/

offered for abuse
mopar
United States of America

Re: My build

Post by mopar »

Very nice!
I will be following intently as I want to hear all the details!!!!

1974 712M AKA the Banana
1974 710M AKA the project truck
1987 718M Now Sold
1975 Volvo TGB1111 Now Sold
1973 Pinzgauer 712M x2 Now Sold
1963 404S Now Sold
roobar_and_custard
Australia

Post by roobar_and_custard »

I'm sure you'll get plenty of abuse - there is always an opinion on the "right" engine. :roll:

As you know, I have a matching plan brewing, so I shall be watching with great interest...
For now, just a couple of questions:-
1) Does the V8 bell housing fit to the 300tdi with no modification? I didn't know you could do this and 40mm is quite a useful gain.
2) Is the 300tdi at the right height in the pictures? It looks very low compared to your new engine cover.

Looks a great job so far! Keep going and more pictures please.

Cheers,
Ian
chosenview

Post by chosenview »

The 40mm saving is at the transfer end not the bell housing.

The cab mods are far too severe. I could have dropped it way lower. As it is I'll put some sort of sunken tray in to use the dead space. I wanted the area removable for access to the engine. The old access was hopeless.

Steve
roobar_and_custard
Australia

So I'm off looking for a V8 gearbox now to pinch the back end from - good tip!

Have you thought of moving the handbrake to the rear axles? I wonder if it is possible to replicate the rear disc onto the back of the Axle PTO? Might save you having to move the cross member, and as you cut the handbrake out - time to get radical?

Otherwise, it fits really well. Quite surprised really. I expected to move the brake booster, but also in my mind had the engine over the front axle, which you seem to have avoided.

Nice work.
Ian.
chosenview

Post by chosenview »

The handbrake has been a right pain. Not so much the brake but the lever. I just don't have any place for it.

I decided the cross member had to go, and it's gone. Angle grinder away. The transfer box was up so tight that if I ever wanted to get it off I'd have to drop the whole engine drive train.

I have a replacement pipe that will go in a foot or so back.

For the lever I have gone for an electric trigger from a jag xf. Apply a current and it pulls the cable, reverse the current and it loosens it. Also has the added security advantage that you need to know where the switch is to use it. I did worry about it applying at 50mph but decided I've never done that with a manual one why would I do it with an electric. To be safe I'll put in an interlock. Even more security

Steve
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

nice job pity you have not put the pics and description up here though. how long to finish?
chosenview

Post by chosenview »

Been 3 years so far. Probably be another 3. I only get to work on it a couple of hours a week.

All the photos are on the blog site. Www.pearman.cc/blog

Steve
chosenview

Post by chosenview »

Hi

I should have taken a photo of the drop arm before I removed it for the g wagon power steering. Would someone be willing to post a photo of theirs. I want to see how far the steering box comes through and where the clamp closes.

Ever grateful

Steve
roobar_and_custard
Australia

Hi Steve,
No idea if this helps, but thought you might be interested anyway - Peter may jump in too as he is often on this forum.
http://members.westnet.com.au/profpinz/ ... eering.htm

Looks very similar to your set-up.

Cheers.
Ian
chosenview

Post by chosenview »

Thanks Ian.

Playing about with the box has proved its more important to have the box placed with regard to the steering column. Also need to be able to undo the shaft case. There was a risk I could have welded up the bracket too close to the bolts that hold it to the box.

So seat position is fixed and I'm working on where the steering column and box need to be in relation to that

Take care

Steve
http://Www.pearman.cc/blog
roobar_and_custard
Australia

Hi Steve.
Been following your blog and progress is looking really promising. Any thoughts on how you are connecting up the shifters?

Thanks for the tip on the gearbox shortening. I too have now grafted the back of a ZF V8 box onto a 300tdi box, and slotted the LT230 transfer case onto the back. It was a bit harder for me though as I made 2 boxes into 1... :?

Keep going, so there is more for me to copy. :roll:

Cheers.
Ian
chosenview

Post by chosenview »

Do you mean the gearbox shifters? They are just cables that I need to make up when I know the length

I have just scored a hydraulic pto winch and am very much hoping it'll fit to the lt230 I've bastardised