Skogen - My C303 conversion & expedition build

Volvo TGB and 30X (303/304/306) mods and resto work, news, resources and non-technical stuff
Hoss

Skogen - My C303 conversion & expedition build

Post by Hoss »

I bought myself a Volvo C303 back in 2011, firstly because i always wanted a 101FC and then fell in love with the Volvo which i'm reluctant to say is better. Its definitely proven, this is mine in Finland before i bought it.

I wanted to make it into an expedition vehicle, and my plans have steadily expanded.
I did initially plan something like this example:

It already had a diesel conversion, power steering and a few other enhancements when i bought it, but needed a lot of tidying up. The Diesel was D24TIC from a Volvo 940, so not the quietest smoothest motor.
I had recently acquired a semi-decent alu/zinc replacement front cab, and am half way through painting that.

In the meantime i decided to change the motor for something more modern, quieter, smoother with more power & more economical - a OM606.962 which has been extracted from a E300 Merc.

And shoe-horned into approximate position:

So i'm currently in the process of making up new engine mounts and the gearbox to transfer box coupling.
I will stick with the Merc 722.6 electronic autobox, it supposed to be a superb and reliable unit. And rightly or wrongly i will keep the Om606 under ECU control. Have the whole loom out of the E300, just wading through it to see which bits i need to keep.

It will also get converted to discs, probably with CTIS. And i did have some musings on installing the ABS system from the donor Merc.

In the meantime the plans for my expedition vehicle have expanded. I'm going to get rid of the old rear body altogether and build a custom camper body. This will get me something larger & more fit for purpose. I plan to do it in steel box frame & alu panels.
Here is my latest model:

- Cab is in the process of being painted
- I've put in the hinges and pads to allow it to tilt up for access to the engine, just have to source a hydraulic cylinder and pump.
- have the foot handbrake installed from the merc donor
- started to make the ECU wiring

- Painted and fitted the upper cab
- Started on the rewiring
- Made new dash & switch panels
- Constructed a battery & compressor box
- Cab latch and support frame made

Pics below:
Cab top fitted
A nice set of new wooden bump strips
Comfy Audi seats, and the new dash panels
Auto shifter, hi/low, and difflock controls. Gauges are Vac & OBA pressure.
It's alive!!
Dual battery and compressor box
An Iveco cab latch and support frame

The modified inlet manifold under construction

-New inlet manifold welded

Eberspacher installed, Nice new yacht hatch fitted

The coupling shaft.
assembly
And fitted in place
roobar_and_custard
Australia

Re: Skogen - My C303 conversion & expedition build

Post by roobar_and_custard »

Well that's pretty impressive! I've seen some of your posts on LR4x4, but nice to see it here now.

I love the idea of the OM diesels, but know very little about them, and their availability here in Aus is pretty much zero. :( I'd love to hear more about the detail of this conversion.

So many questions...
What transfer case are you using?
What is your plan for disc brakes?
How are you actuating your diffs now? Vacuum still, with electric solenoids?
How have you managed the cab tilt and steering/shifter set-up?

This is quite an impressive project. More photos please!

Ian.
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

I think that diesel D24TIC from the Volvo 940 is the same engine as used in the later diesel Pinzgauers 716/718s - so it might be good to see if someone on the Pinz side of the forum wants it...
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

You really need an overhead console because you do not have room for enough switches, gauges, breakers, and other stuff! Nice work, looking good.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

roobar_and_custard wrote:Well that's pretty impressive! I've seen some of your posts on LR4x4, but nice to see it here now.

I love the idea of the OM diesels, but know very little about them, and their availability here in Aus is pretty much zero. :( I'd love to hear more about the detail of this conversion.

So many questions...
What transfer case are you using?
What is your plan for disc brakes?
How are you actuating your diffs now? Vacuum still, with electric solenoids?
How have you managed the cab tilt and steering/shifter set-up?

This is quite an impressive project. More photos please!

Ian.
Hi Ian
Thanks for your compliments.
I did quite a bit of research on which motor to fit and decided that the OM606 is a superb reliable unit. And sorry to say readily available in europe. Also 3 others had done the same or similar conversions, so i knew it fitted (see my LR4x4 thread for links).
-Its the original C303 transfer case, divorced with a self-made coupling shaft.
- I've done a lot of research on disc brakes, there are a few dodgy solutions from scandinavia with welded on discs.2 small companies making a kit, but i would loose dual circuit and some were under sized imo. One very nice well engineered from a guy in the UK but i would still loose dual circuit. In the end i will go for one involving machining down the hubs to a Japanese pattern and use Hilux discs and wheels with double landrover D2 calipers.
- Diffs are untouched but i have replaced the pipes and use an electrical solenoid in place of the manual valves.
- The cab is raised 40mm on rubber mounts and rubber mounted hinged made on the front bumper. Luckily the steering was easy. All i have to do is take off the wheel and the column slides down thorough the sleeve.
The shifter is electronic, but the park cable and high/low i have fitted boating control cables (push/pull)

I could write reams on what i have done and take many pictures, but that wasnt my goal. But of course happy to answer any questions and share what i have done.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Jimm391730 wrote:You really need an overhead console because you do not have room for enough switches, gauges, breakers, and other stuff! Nice work, looking good.
Hi Jim
I do have an overhead console, it houses the 4 radios. I'll get a pic later.
All of the switches i need are in place including spare slots if needed. If id put all of that up on the roof the cable runs would have been crazy.
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

hey cool build keep the pics and info coming