(OT) Garfield is coming to So Cal ... ;)

Posts about other Real 4x4's. Examples: Unimogs, Steyr-Puch G-wagens, Tatra, MAN, ex-military, etc. Please keep posts related to rare 4x4's, Euro/military/industrial and portal axle related off-road trucks. (This is not a Jeep forum)
David Dunn
United States of America

Re: (OT) Garfield is coming to So Cal ... ;)

Post by David Dunn »

That's a MK1 Supacat in the video.... pretty much an overgrown Argo. An air cooled Citreon gas engine, semi auto trans and skid steer only steering.
The MK2 and newer are lightyears ahead of the MK1 with the Ackerman steering and the MK2A and newer with the VW 1.9TDI ( MK2 had a VW 1.6D).

That Supacat was on ebay over a year ago (twice), and I had a thought to bid on it until I asked my contact at the factory that answered back " why the hell would you want that?... especially with having the MK2A's"

Read the threads on "Supacats" and "Lockheed-Martin"

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6796&p=47943&hilit= ... tin#p47943
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3733&hilit=supacat+ot

And Pinzmeister, where are my pics of the WMIK? :wink: I also heard rumor that more were coming up for sale
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
sdp6x6

Post by sdp6x6 »

was also looking at this one but its very pricey
http://www.milweb.net/webverts/60278/
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Philip always has a Cat or 2 for sale. I hadn't seen a MK3 with a softtop before. I have the framework from a MK2 that I plan to fit to my second Cat.
MK3's will bring top money, as they are current manufacture... still typically over 11000GBP... MK2 alot cheaper.
Then there is shipping from the UK

pinzmeister-uk
Great Britain

Post by pinzmeister-uk »

Hi David.
I'm going out to my mates farm tomorrow to get some pictures of a Mk2 Ferret he's selling, I'll get your pictures of the WMIK while I'm there.( He's just ordered a gas firing 50cal. to put on it!!)
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Hi Nigel
Ah, another bird to kill with one stone :) ... Besides the pics and dims of the WMIK, a friend over there wants to add a propane simulator to his 30mm Rarden gun on his Scimitar.... I'd appreciate any info your friend has on a manufacturer of them.
I also heard our favorite MoD seller has some ATMP gunbuses on their premises :mrgreen: ..... wonder if they'll be tendered, or auctioned?....did you say you wanted a Cat? :roll: :wink: .... I'll take the WMIK :mrgreen:

Cheers

undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Dave,

I apologize in advance for the hijack, but...

Here's a link to my friend Tom's oxy-aceteline powered main gun: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SRhtnx0 ... r_embedded

I don't know if you're set on propane, but he could likely share info on how he set it up if you wanted.

Paul
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Hi Paul,
Their aim is for re-enactments. Propane makes flash and noise ( at the rate) to simulate the weapon.
A volunteer at the museum made one for their 40mm Bofer.... I haven't seen him to get the info of the mechanics

undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Well, generally he only shoots it off for the flash and boom too. I had the opportunity to fire it several times this summer at the Iola military show. I just wondered if there was a reason why propane would be preferable for this use?
pinzmeister-uk
Great Britain

Post by pinzmeister-uk »

Hi David.
Got some pictures for you, didn't get chance to get the tape measure out, ( this is British winter, blowing a gale, freezing cold and raining. ) I'll do it next time I'm out there, probably next week. I believe all the WMIKs have been released now, don't know if it's correct but I'm told they only made 12. I managed to get the in service record for my mates and it turns out it was issued to the SBS ( special boat service ) and replacement cost was just under £80k. :mrgreen: I don't need a Cat as I can borrow this one whenever I want, it's a Samson I'm after. :lol: The company he's using for the gas firing 50cal. is WTAC have a look on http://www.wtac.org.uk they were very helpfull ( but not cheap )
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

sdp6x6
Here is a video walk-a-around of the softtop ATMP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvbJcWBPwAA

David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Hi Nigel,
You didn’t happen to notice the manu date or chassis number, did you? At £80k , they were more than what ATL were selling 716s for in 2003 . :shock:
Those are some good starting pics to scale from :) … I assume you have hi res ones you can email. I see more baskets there than what were shown at tender. Were the rear trays part of the kit, or were they fab’ed for it? I’ve already found places in the design where I can “take liberties” with the mounting to avoid drilling new holes in the body. The MK3 has a readily dismountable ROPS and usually real seats ( mine has Velcro cushions that tear out and make a comfy bed on the wings :D ), so I need to change a few things to allow for the cushions to fit ( and me)

Back in ’06 I was looking at a very clean Samson, with a complete kit, and at not much more than what a clean MK3 Cat goes for today…. But common sense got hold of me… but I should have gotten the Pole Cat that was for sale in Scotland… just didn’t have anyone to go look at it.

Cheers

sdp6x6

Post by sdp6x6 »

David Dunn wrote:Philip always has a Cat or 2 for sale. I hadn't seen a MK3 with a softtop before. I have the framework from a MK2 that I plan to fit to my second Cat.
MK3's will bring top money, as they are current manufacture... still typically over 11000GBP... MK2 alot cheaper.
Then there is shipping from the UK
Any available around here? Are these streetable for road use?
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

... Are these streetable for road use?
Depending on what you mean by "streetable" and your DMV :lol:
Garfield sports a "Special equipment" plate aka husbandry ( farm) use in this case...lots of farms in Los Angeles :roll: :lol:
I went for this to keep LEOs off my case and not be mistaken for the "run of the mill" ATV.... a 4200 lb ATV :lol:
The Supacat has all the equipment for the street: headlamps, tail and turn lamps, horn, mirrors, seatbelts AND steerable wheels ( MK2 and newer). Speed and condition of the road is important. The suspension is the tires and too much air pressure will cause them to bounce ( also dips/bumps in the road).

The Supacat in the video was the last one I've seen for sale in North America. I've been teetering on selling my 2nd Cat ( with a set of tracks) and the SC "tub" trailer, but it won't be cheap

totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

David:
How does the cat work with tracks, if the front wheels steer?
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Skid steer :!: :mrgreen:
Cats can do both. The handlebars turn for the Ackerman steering, and each handlebar is independent, and pulling back on one side will brake that side of the vehicle... with tracks, the handlebars must be locked and skid steer is only available.