Diesel Mercedes Gurus!

Posts about other Real 4x4's. Examples: Unimogs, Steyr-Puch G-wagens, Tatra, MAN, ex-military, etc. Please keep posts related to rare 4x4's, Euro/military/industrial and portal axle related off-road trucks. (This is not a Jeep forum)
kdiqq
United States of America

Diesel Mercedes Gurus!

Post by kdiqq »

So I'm looking to replace my slowly dying GMC Sonoma sometime in the future and I keep coming back to the 300GD as a DD. I know that military 300GDs only come with a 4spd, but a few folks online talk about having a 12v, 5spd, A/C 300GD... What's the story on those?! Where do they come from??!! I'm shocked these diesel G wagens are so scarce in my area. Also, is a turbo trim available? Not looking for good power, but a nice decently fuel efficient 300GD would be killer. Even with a 5spd should I be concerned about highway-ability?
1977 Austrian 710M
TechMOGogy
Canada

Re: Diesel Mercedes Gurus!

Post by TechMOGogy »

Many add TD 617a's out of sedans
When you do that I am not sure if there is still room for the AC pump
Vince would be the best guy to talk to
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

AC, if ever found, is weak and usually an add-on. Not worth the trouble in the W460 series Gwagens (1979-1991). None came with a 5-speed. None came with a turbo engine.

You can add all of those things but some of it is far more complex than online forums might have you believe. A daily driver from the 80's is just that; it's an 80's car and will have issues a car of that age will have, on top of being a military 4x4 underneath. For me, even a decent daily driver is a 4cyl. with AC that can cruise in comfort at 75 on the highway and gets at least 28mpg (gas will go back up, and way up sometime).

An 80's diesel G can not do those things, or even get close. The turbo engine adds some more HP but its not that much in the real world and doesn't make you cruise on the highway much better. Adding a 5-speed requires finding one first, then adapting the mid driveshaft. You are looking at over $2000 in mods alone there. The 5th gear will only be useful on level highway. Any kind of grade and you downshift, and this is assuming you stayed with a 31-32" tire at most. I run 33's on my turbo 300GD and even a slight grade has me downshifting to 3rd. A 710M is really about the same as far as speed/power goes, believe it or not.

You can basically accept it for what it is: heavy, top speed of about 65/70 red-lined, 18mpg at best (and anyone who claims much more is simply lying or driving at 40mph all the time), poor AC even if you install it and spend $1000++, will need parts and service more than a 15yo Japanese car, is not typical car/pick-up quiet inside, rolls into corners and parts are way higher than your GMC parts.

Or you can spend many $1000's and invest 100's of hours into modifying one and get partially what you want, OR you can just buy a 2000+ model W463 G500, for less money in the long run, which is fast as hell, gets 11-13mpg, has AC and tons of other nice things, is super safe, and can do 90mph easily.

And this comes from someone who has owned three G-wagens and currently drives a '79 300GD 617A, but not everyday, nor would/could I.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

kdiqq
United States of America

Post by kdiqq »

Dang. Honestly, that was the answer I was expecting... I just love the idea of a Jeep-sized 4 door with a diesel engine. Looked like the Merc was the best offer. Plus the military background and Puch affiliation made me geeky for it. Any civ versions with diesel?
1977 Austrian 710M
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

I have a civilian version '89 Puch 300GD. It is a bit slow and I don't have AC but I do enjoy driving it. It does have the 5-speed trans which is nice.
More info here: http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/v ... =5&t=10055
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Both versions are the same mechanically. The civ versions just have different headliners, seats, trim, etc.

Correction on the other post, some may have come with a 5-speed but its a rare option. I don't recall what the deal was on that from new. Regardless, if you see one, it's likely a Getrag but it's 5th gear may be a 1:1; it has a granny 1st. The common and desirable conversion is the Mercedes "Iron box" which was used in the Merc. vans back then. It's an overdrive 5th and mates up to the 617 easily but they aren't the kind of thing sitting at your local junkyard. They are longer than the stock trans. which is why you have to get a shorter mid shaft. They also need new shifter rods and shifter, and the speedo and vent connections need modified. Nothing that $$$ can't solve!

kdiqq
United States of America

Post by kdiqq »

Based on the info I was able to find, the 5 speed is an overdriven 5th. Not terribly overdriven though. .085x. And still sport the same axle ratio. If I find the link again, I will post back here. Man I want a G wagen badly. But I will only settle for a diesel... or maybe an AMG...
1977 Austrian 710M
Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

Aussie mil G - wagens are turboed, have 5 speed autos and A/c on some :D

http://www.army.gov.au/~/media/Army/Our ... ooklet.pdf
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6
1971 Jaguar Series 3 E-Type Conv
1957 Landrover 88" Station Wagon
1957 Landrover 88"
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Regarding the last post: They aren't 460 models. The newer mil G's that can not be imported here (and are seldom for sale anywhere) are much newer 461's.

What did you mean by "the 5-speed"? Are you talking about a conversion on a certain truck you are looking to buy?

kdiqq
United States of America

Post by kdiqq »

VinceAtReal4x4s wrote:Regarding the last post: They aren't 460 models. The newer mil G's that can not be imported here (and are seldom for sale anywhere) are much newer 461's.

What did you mean by "the 5-speed"? Are you talking about a conversion on a certain truck you are looking to buy?
It may be a newer model. The website I was looking at (and am failing to find again) just said on 300GDs, there was a 4 speed and a 5 speed available (as well as an automatic) and the ratios for both were listed. They did not comment on years available. When I search for ones for sale, the only 5 speed I can find is an auto that was pulled from another vehicle. :(

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk
1977 Austrian 710M