Lockheed-Martin versions of Supacats

Posts about other Real 4x4's. Examples: Unimogs, Steyr-Puch G-wagens, Tatra, MAN, ex-military, etc. Please keep posts related to rare 4x4's, Euro/military/industrial and portal axle related off-road trucks. (This is not a Jeep forum)
David Dunn
United States of America

Lockheed-Martin versions of Supacats

Post by David Dunn »

As many know, I have a fondness for Supacats. I knew of their relationship with Lockheed-Martin and found this video of their version of Supacat’s HMT.
http://www.lockheedmartin.com/products/ ... deo01.html

I also happened across the SMSS, though quite a bit different than the Supacat ATMP, I couldn’t help but notice that it does have a strong resemblance to the ATMP, and at 3800lbs, not much lighter.
http://www.lockheedmartin.com/products/smss/

I especially like the 2nd video, the ultimate r/c vehicle…it’d be a great shopping cart at a flea market….. just tell it to ‘follow’. :mrgreen:
http://www.lockheedmartin.com/products/ ... ideo2.html
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
stiffler4444
Canada

Re: Lockheed-Martin versions of Supacats

Post by stiffler4444 »

I would program work as my "alpha point"...sleep for the 25 minute commute...... :lol:
1972 710m
GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Post by GenevaPinz »

Thanks for posting, David!

Quite impressive to witness the giant leaps in technology that lead to "autonomous" machines.
At the same time, when I compare this "new" Supacat to the pictures of you driving Garfield, it's a bit sad to admit that the great innovation between the two is basically removing you from the picture! :lol: :wink:
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

GenevaPinz wrote:Quite impressive to witness the giant leaps in technology that lead to "autonomous" machines.
At the same time, when I compare this "new" Supacat to the pictures of you driving Garfield, it's a bit sad to admit that the great innovation between the two is basically removing you from the picture! :lol: :wink:

I have been doing some searching for something of the mechanics of the SMSS, but it seems they push the points of the robotics :? :lol: . It definately lacks the features of the ATMP Mk2 and newer ( that make them so road friendly), and in one video clip, the narrator runs into the path of the SMSS and it stops... I would be pretty sure I wouldn't have... :roll: :wink: :mrgreen:

One unique thing I did see was the uses of lockout hubs on all 6 wheels.... I wonder if ones for a LR would fit mine?

pinzmeister-uk
Great Britain

Post by pinzmeister-uk »

A friend of mine just bought this as a present for his son, I spent a couple of hours getting it running and had to give it a road test!! Great fun. :D :D
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Cool, I was forwarded the info on that cat while it was on the tender sale... had wondered where it went, and if I could get dimensions.

I just got home and spent the day starting to clean up the softtop framework to fit on of my Cats and printed out the pics of that Cat with the WMIK to see if I could build it. NOW that you fest up to having carnal knowledge of it :roll: :lol: , I'll leave it to you to get me the info :mrgreen: ... or maybe he'd be willing to sell the WMIK

pinzmeister-uk
Great Britain

Post by pinzmeister-uk »

I'll get you some more detailed pictures and measurements, it's only tubular steel but it's quite intricate. I don't think he'll be willing to sell it, he's having too much fun with it, looking now for the 50cal for the ring and gpmg for the swing away mount, allready found smoke dischargers.
pinzmeister-uk
Great Britain

Post by pinzmeister-uk »

Just an extra point David, found a place that has brand new superwinches on supacat mounting frames, they still have 5 in stock.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Hi Nigel,
A few pics of the weapon mount kit would be great, with some basic dims of the materials and the radius of the bends... I can determine most everything else by interpolating known components.
I definately don't need another cat .... since I own 20% of the CF Supacats :roll: :lol: Having the kit would make things easier.....I have an offer for a ring and the M2 and the M240
Mine do have their Superwinches with them... and to add to their uniqueness, The CF Cats have a 24v system ( with 2 6TL batteries....nothing like tank batteries for a 1.9TDI :lol: ).

Mac

Post by Mac »

Wow, that thing is sweet. What does an SMSS sell for?
1974 710M
1951 M37 for sale
2003 BMW 330i zHP
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Nigel,
If I can't make the WMIK, maybe you can source me a L119 or M119 :mrgreen:
Since I probably won't get the CVRT I've always wanted

Santa hates me :evil: :lol:

pinzmeister-uk
Great Britain

Post by pinzmeister-uk »

Hi Dave.
I'll try my best for you :D , I'm also looking for a CVRT, I'm fancying a Samson. But it will need to be more like the lottery than Santa for me to get one. :(
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Hi Nigel, surprised you can still see to read :lol:
Ah yes, a Samson... I was eyeing a real nice looking one a few years back, with a complete kit, no less. It was off the beaten track for any of my friends in the UK to check... same with a Pole Cat on the furthest north end of your "rock" :wink:
I'll need to get rid of 4 vehicles before adding another though.. :roll:

Did order the carton of ink for your printer? :twisted: :mrgreen:

Mac,
No idea what the military will pay for... but we know it'll be too much :lol: ... but MK3 Supacats can go as low as $11000, and up to $22K ish on the used market.... depending on shape. A friend in the UK was offered a demo at a big discount a couple years ago... at $80k, and that is without a brain like the SMSS :shock:

pinzmeister-uk
Great Britain

Post by pinzmeister-uk »

Hi Dave.
Decided I need 2 copies of all 3 manuals, so I've downloaded them onto disc and i'll take it to my local printers 10 minutes walk away. They are very cheap plus I think I'll be watching my printer for a good couple of hours to do that lot. :D
I was offered a Samson a while ago, pretty much complete, but needed a full chassis up rebuild and he wanted way too much for it considering the amount of work required. So I'll keep looking. :D
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Aaah, a reading copy for the outhouse :mrgreen:

I need to buy clean runners... it not like I can run down to the corner tank spares house. That's why I picked up the 2nd cat.... turned out to be in too good of shape for spares... and the combined hours on both my cats are less than that one :shock:
I wonder if the Canucks ever utilized them :?