Steyr's contribution to US military trucks

Posts about other Real 4x4's. Examples: Unimogs, Steyr-Puch G-wagens, Tatra, MAN, ex-military, etc. Please keep posts related to rare 4x4's, Euro/military/industrial and portal axle related off-road trucks. (This is not a Jeep forum)
Jimm391730
United States of America

Re: Steyr's contribution to US military trucks

Post by Jimm391730 »

How do you plan to get that truck CA licensed?! You had the only TD legal in CA, its not fair that you can have two! :mrgreen:
Jim M.
712W and 710M
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

What, preparing to move out of California now? Or is this to be another museum piece?

Nice looking truck...
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Dan, those are generic vents, no markings at all. I use to see them on LRs all the way back in the '60s.

Jim, I never worry about little things like that.

Ed, THIS is a museum piece. :mrgreen:
264 total miles. And the the one thing that may be obvious to our British and Euro friends is this is a 2.5TDI 5 cyl ATL Pinzgauer :mrgreen:

And don't be fooled by the paint. NATO green looks the same no matter how old it is. It'd look the same next to my Vampire

Though I wonder how it would look with a wax job. :roll: :wink:
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Yeah, you want to wax it to protect it from all the rain.
Less than 500 miles. What a find.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

I’m kind of surprised no one looked at the dash carefully.
The mileage is quite obvious, but never questioned about the 3 warning lamps in the upper right.
The truck has ABS , Traction control, and EBD

The doghouse is huge and only has 3 small access doors. One at the rear for checking engine and trans oils level. The second in the front for adding oil and a third next to the right side seat (which must be removed for access), that I don’t know what’s behind it. For anything else, both seats must be unbolted and removed to unbolt the entire doghouse for removal.

A few things that may take getting use to, compared to the Pink Cow. The brake pedal feels soft, but may be the ABS... and the other is my head hits the roll bar pad!!! Something to be said for old worn seats with a big butt cavity already worn in the cushion. :mrgreen:

Middlebury_Pinz
United States of America

Post by Middlebury_Pinz »

Congrats Dave,

It's a beautiful truck and looks like a great project.

Mike
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

I’m kind of surprised no one looked at the dash carefully.
And you've got two blank gauge covers.
I'll bet neither one access's your brake fluid reservoir!
BTW, what is "EBD"?
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

This is one beautiful truck.. This morning, I took it for it’s first road test. A very pleasant experience to drive, but I was listening and looking for problems rather than enjoyment, which was hard not to do. :mrgreen:

After thinking about it, this truck isn’t fitted with a hour meter, even though being a FFR ( Fitted For Radio). It is fitted with a 2nd set of batteries for electronic gear. A small inverter had been installed.
As with other TD Pinzes, the brake fluid reservoir is at the end of the dash and the cover has a cutout for checking fluid level.

EBD is Electronic brakeforce distribution. Wikipedia’s explanation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic ... stribution

I also found that my head doesn't just rub against the roll bar pad, it actually wedges tight against it. :? ...mmm maybe for some reason, my posture improved and I'm sitting up straight now :roll: :mrgreen:

This truck must demand respect subconsciously. A 710 owner stopped by to see the truck... when he climbed out of the rear, he picked up a rag and wiped his footprints out of the back. :shock: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by David Dunn on Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mopar
United States of America

Post by mopar »

Look Like a sweet find Congrats!!! How is it compared to the Pink cow?? Different engine right. How does the power feel?

1974 712M AKA the Banana
1974 710M AKA the project truck
1987 718M Now Sold
1975 Volvo TGB1111 Now Sold
1973 Pinzgauer 712M x2 Now Sold
1963 404S Now Sold
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Thanks. It was an unbelievable find (it found me :D ).. right time, right place and right people that had some idea of my history and collection.

It's been 2 years since I sold the Pink Cow, so a little difficult to remember for comparison. But I went from a 2.4TD 6 cyl to 2.5TDI 5 cyl, from 5 speed manual to 4 speed automatic and from 4 wheel disc brakes to 6 wheel disc brakes w/ ABS,EBD and ETC :shock: :lol: . I knew I could slam on the brakes on the Pink Cow and put the passenger into the windshield :mrgreen: . From the little that I've driven the 718 so far, I don't think the electronics will let me screw up :lol:
I've never driven an auto in a Pinz before, but this does run out well on the street, but it is still new and needs to be broken in

edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

David Dunn wrote:I also found that my head doesn't just rub against the roll bar pad, it actually wedges tight against it. :? ...mmm maybe for some reason, my posture improved and I'm sitting up straight now :roll: :mrgreen:
The curse of the automotive industry, vertically challenged design engineer’s intent on getting even with all the people they’ve spent a lifetime looking up to.

I find it astounding how many vehicles I don’t fit into comfortably; at 6’2” I don’t think I’m so tall that car buying should be such a pain. :cry:

So like the car salesman says just before I turn my back and look for a different dealer, ”just scrunch down a little you’ll get used to it”. :lol: Rant over. :shock:
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

Dave

does it have a single led on the dash in one of the plastic panels?
I won a dash off ebay ages, ago now and that light was the warning light for the ecu module.

I just work on everyone else's pinz's now as sold all mine off as needed something pre 1989, so I got an Acmat https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... d7d4183e48

Currently it's a TPK-4.20-SM3 (desert patrol truck) but going to a workshop this week to become a TPK-4.20-VCT (command car).... I need to update my signature... :oops:
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Hi Mike
Yes there is a single yellow LED right above the steering wheel. I had assumed it was the glow plug lamp. It comes on for a moment and goes out among a clatter of cycling relays from behind the seat.

A couple of pics of the doghouse

BTW,if you noticed. There are no scratches on the doghouse from the seat belt buckles. :D

I thought I was out of the Pinz owner’s world when I sold the Pink Cow. Who would have thought the truck those funds helped financed would have been responsible for bringing me back into the fold, and with among one of the rarest of the Pinzgauer in private hands :D
I've taken a vow not to drill or modify anything on this truck, but I do see 2 holes in the doghouse where I can fab and install a pair of cup holders. :mrgreen:

At the time I had bought the Pink Cow, it was thought of as the holy grail of Pinzgauers (for US owners). This one I fondly refer to as "The Green Grail". :mrgreen:

Because the Flying Dump Truck was directly responsible for the new Pinzgauer, I thought it would be fitting that it's introduction should be in this thread.
I'll start a new thread in the TD section for the only vehicle I've put in my sig line... besides, Vince limited the # of characters so I can't list them all. :roll: :lol:

fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

Yep pretty sure that LED has something to do with the ECU. I need to dig through my collection of books and see if I have any of the last stuff made. I haven't looked at the stack of books for yonks.

I like your flying dump truck also :D
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

UniMogs...article referred to in March 2014 edition Automobile (Automobilemag.com) is about the truck factory and the various uses of the 'Mog.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford