Volvo vs Pinzgauer Which is more of a "daily driver"

Posts about other Real 4x4's. Examples: Unimogs, Steyr-Puch G-wagens, Tatra, MAN, ex-military, etc. Please keep posts related to rare 4x4's, Euro/military/industrial and portal axle related off-road trucks. (This is not a Jeep forum)
Buford13

Volvo vs Pinzgauer Which is more of a "daily driver"

Post by Buford13 »

Hello Everyone,
I will be in the market and looking to purchase a 6x6 vehicle shortly, although I am thinking it will take several months to a year or so to find one.
I am wondering if anyone has had the pleasure of driving both a Pinzgauer and a Volvo 6x6.
I would be using the vehicle a lot, sort of a "daily driver". Mostly short daily trips around town with my wife and dog, general coffee and food runs.
I have heard that the Pinz is quite a bit louder and perhaps a bit most of a harsh ride.
Any info you guys have would be greatly appreciate. ( I am loeaning toewards the Volvo c304 - altough I am sure it will be hard to find one)
Thanks, Guy V. New YOrk
TechMOGogy
Canada

Re: Volvo vs Pinzgauer Which is more of a "daily driver"

Post by TechMOGogy »

Volvo would be harder to find for sure and spare parts are even harder to find.
Pinz has a whole network of suppliers and parts like Expedition Imports
Good luck with your search!
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
crcpinz

Post by crcpinz »

I guess it'll be hard to find such a lucky guy. I'm sure you will be pleased with either truck. Good luck.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
1976 710K
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000163282080
CentAr712
United States of America

Post by CentAr712 »

I wouldn't want my Pinz to be my daily driver and I can't really speak for the Volvo, but honestly I think both are probably a bad idea as far as a daily driver is concerned. I never take my Pinz on the freeway and that sort of makes it really impractical. Personally I think having another form of transportation first is a better idea, although in some peoples circumstances using a Pinz as a daily driver could be perfectly fine, just depending on the situation. Best luck!
Chris.
https://www.supanik.com/pinz
'76 712M Rapier Cargo (Swiss), For Sale
'83 MB W460 280GE G-Wagen, For Sale
mopar
United States of America

Post by mopar »

I enjoyed my pinz 6x6 as Somewhat daily drivers for around town short distance drive(under 30 minutes) my volvo(although a 4x4) was just much more work truck and rough arouind the edges and it was more a chore to drIve around town but it had 35"s. I loved both trucks and enjoyed off roading them but the pinz is my run around town favorite. I'm pretty sure steve who bought my 712 enjoys driving around as much as possible. One caveat though is expect to be treated like a rock star in either as you will get stopped and questioned about either where ever you go so always add extra time for that as we'll as a little longer drive time.
I'm camping on the kangamangus in NH and took my 2011 Cummins as the dvd player ac and shorter drive make for a more enjoyable time with a 5 year old and 8 year old childre. Just food for thought though because if it was just me and aand a buddy it would have been in the pinz.

1974 712M AKA the Banana
1974 710M AKA the project truck
1987 718M Now Sold
1975 Volvo TGB1111 Now Sold
1973 Pinzgauer 712M x2 Now Sold
1963 404S Now Sold
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

I say buy a Pinz as your truck, and drive a Volvo as your every day driver, the older 850's are inexpensive and good wagons.

Seriously I drove my 710k and my 712m nearly daily, though I only live 5 miles from work.
the 712 is a little slower but handled the road better then the 710.
Like Dan said, lot more available parts for a Pinz
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

My Pinz is has been modified to as close to a daily driver as I think you can get.

Commuting 26 miles each way to work averege 1-2x / week in my 712 now with the 2.7 and EFI is enjoyable in the summers, even spring and fall.
Great for evening outings to dinner or the local breweries and dives. Wonderful to take the office staff to lunch.
Webasto heater makes weekend winter expeditions fun in the snow. 12-14mpg.

For a daily driver however, I'm glad I've got my Toyota for quiet, smooth, comfortable and safe with radio, ABS and airbags and rain proof
windows, solid top and doors. Any problems quickly and easily fixed at the dealer, 26mpg.
HafWit

Post by HafWit »

I personally feel that the Pinz is a bit too noisy for regular use especially if you are driving long distances in it. The Volvo is quieter and is a little more capable for freeway driving. Both are fun, offroad capable, and get a lot of attention. The Pinz is easier and cheaper to get parts for (by far), but the Volvo is more adaptable to engine replacements and modifications. Neither is an ideal daily driver

Cheers,
Greg
HafWit
a.k.a. Phlyphysher, Greg, & Clamphysician
1967 Swiss Haflinger, 1975 Volvo C303
Buford13

Post by Buford13 »

When I say daily driver, I mean for short stints around town for coffee and what not. But I do take my dog, who will be riding in the back. I'm concerned about the noise more than anything I guess, I had heard that Pinz are extremely loud, and see a lot of people put in headsets. I don't know anyone with a Volvo c304 so I figured I would ask. I saw pics of yours MOPAR, that was a real nice truck. If the guy that bought it ever wants to sell, let me know
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Hafwit,

What do you mean by long distances? I have driven to Seattle from Denver at least 5 times and to MogFest in Sheridan from Denver twice. From Denver to San Diego at least 4 times.
Is that what you mean by long distances?
Used to use the pinz for daily driver for about 6 mo at least 35 miles RT. It is a bit slow but very fun to drive.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Buford,

Will heat be an issue? Pinzes generally have weak heaters, imho, although some improve on them with better hosing, fans, aux. heaters, etc. Volvos have hot water heat, like most other cars. How comfy do you want it?

Part/s availability. Pinz. parts are readily available, but as mentioned earlier, Volvo parts can be hard to get, with the exception of engine parts which reportedly are common with cars.

Expenses. Parts for both are probably higher than many vehicles. Add in gas mileage, and they are not overly cheap to run and maintain. Something to at least consider if you drive it a lot.

Loudness isn't necessarily an issue. From my experience with my 712, they are mostly annoyingly loud only at highway speeds (or as close to that as a 712 gets...). I bought an intercom, and rarely used it. But conversations at speed will lead to hoarseness. Really, you probably need to find one and get a ride to determine if they will work for you. Obviously, most folks here don't mind it too much.
Buford13

Post by Buford13 »

Yeah, I'll have to find an east coast military truck show with the hopes of seeing one there and hearing them run, or possibly get a ride in one.
I build 50's style hot rods as a business, and my driver is a 1930 model A with a 472 big block ford running about 500hp and after running open lakes pipe headers from car show to car show, I know the exhaust volume can get really old, really fast ( not to mention the exhaust fumes). I'm still considering buying a Pinz or Volvo 4x4 and getting a suburban for my longer drives.
HafWit

Post by HafWit »

Yes, those would be considered long distances. I think the Steyr-Puch Haflinger is the most fun (much more than either a Pinz or Volvo) for short drives around town to get coffee, groceries, etc. On top of that, it is by far the easiest of all to fit into small parking places.

Cheers,
Greg
HafWit
a.k.a. Phlyphysher, Greg, & Clamphysician
1967 Swiss Haflinger, 1975 Volvo C303
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

You have not mentioned if you are looking at canvas opted or steel topped trucks. Yes it may make a difference in some of the answers you receive.

As far as being able to hear my wife at highway speeds, no problem, did I mention she won the NY Met auditions twice?

Typically with my 710k if I’m expecting to be on the highway for more than a few minutes I use ear plugs.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

HafWit wrote:Yes, those would be considered long distances. I think the Steyr-Puch Haflinger is the most fun (much more than either a Pinz or Volvo) for short drives around town to get coffee, groceries, etc. On top of that, it is by far the easiest of all to fit into small parking places.

Cheers,
Greg
X2
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold