Kiravan -Unimog based RV.. thing.

Posts about other Real 4x4's. Examples: Unimogs, Steyr-Puch G-wagens, Tatra, MAN, ex-military, etc. Please keep posts related to rare 4x4's, Euro/military/industrial and portal axle related off-road trucks. (This is not a Jeep forum)
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Kiravan -Unimog based RV.. thing.

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

I thought I had seen it all but this interior/dash wins the all-time award. Looks like a two year build on the dash alone. Amazing.

http://kiravan.net/gallery/

And the man behind it talks here: http://www.ted.com/talks/bran_ferren_to ... ngineering

"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

rmel
United States of America

Re: Kiravan -Unimog based RV.. thing.

Post by rmel »

I'm holding out until the 2015 model is available :lol:
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Reminds me of "The Homer"

72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
cascade.king

Post by cascade.king »

It's missing.. something.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407791505.420194.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407791505.420194.jpg (147.83 KiB) Viewed 944 times
Mike
1971 North American 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder
cascade.king

Post by cascade.king »

.. and ..
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407791626.928500.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407791626.928500.jpg (43.2 KiB) Viewed 943 times
Mike
1971 North American 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

You know this is not a real vehicle right. It's a concept done in computer graphics.

Miles
Lots of Pinz pictures here.......
http://picasaweb.google.com/pinzgauer.depository.1

'73 Pinzgauer 712M
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Kind of thought that but I figured it was so obvious it didn't need to be said. Glad you did. Things like that that rival the moon probes are
just too expensive and so far out of reach that it is very much a concept without the build.

edit: based on the comments, it appears that I was wrong...it is real. Although, I still believe that is far too expensive for most individuals to own, it is still a fantastic vehicle.
Last edited by krick3tt on Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

milesdzyn wrote:You know this is not a real vehicle right. It's a concept done in computer graphics.

Miles
Oh really!

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/unimog/ ... built.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... world.html

He built the MaxiMog 1st
http://www.maximog.com
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

I reviewed a couple of the photos and do not think they are composites at all. The cab pic is definitely real.. too much detail and optical artifacts to be faked.

milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

I stand by my statement they are all Computer Generated, even the cab shot.

There is an error in the front fender surface mapping and the landscape is generated like that on google earth.

The cab has light generated on the cab roof lining that is not possible from the lighting that is shown, where is the up light coming from.

All the other photos of the living area are computer generated as well, sorry but if he built it they are not showing pictures.

Miles

'73 Pinzgauer 712M
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

I don't mean to sound like some know-it-all but I deal with images (moving images for movies in my case) for a living. The light you are referring to is coming from outside the front windshield. Likely a low wattage LED unit was placed there to back-light part of the dash for adding some definition/depth, which is very common in photography and to provide some light on the ceiling. I could go into other reasons having to do with accurate distortion artifacts given the ultra wide lens used and micro-flaring, etc. but I don't want to type all night! ;) ...but trust me, that isn't fake, and if it was, it would take more time than any grown man has to create. If you look into the guy who designed this thing and what he has done for a living in the past (like doing special effects work for studio movies in the 80's) you might believe it easier.

As far as some of the other images, maybe so and obviously the dash pic with the labels isn't real. Some of the others are real but played with a lot, or too much, so they look a little odd.

undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Here's another link, with less distorted pictures of the inside, and a write-up about the builder and his kid: http://www.wired.com/2014/04/worlds-big ... -id-636212

I agree that it appears to be real.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

From http://www.wired.com/2014/04/worlds-biggest-rv/

"As a half-dozen or so Applied employees watch, Ferren steps off a ladder, slides into the truck’s cab, and begins fussing with a black leather chair that’s been mounted in the back of the truck’s cab for Kira to ride in. One of Ferren’s primary concerns when designing the backseat was making sure his daughter wouldn’t endure an unpleasantly bumpy ride."

"Ferren leaves the chair for now and gives me a tour of the vehicle, starting with the front cab. Like his MaxiMog, the KiraVan is adapted from a Mercedes-Benz Unimog. Ferren and his team have gutted most of the original equipment, leaving only the steering wheel and a few smaller components. Among their numerous additions are a series of custom-made, overhead- and dash-mounted touchscreen cockpit displays, which monitor the vehicle’s health and navigational progress; a joystick-operated situational-awareness system, which allows passengers to see the view from any one of the vehicles’ 22 cameras and provides infrared thermal imagery of the road’s temperature; and an emergency-beacon locator-transmitter, which goes off automatically in case of an accident—if, say, the vehicle flips over."

"We step out of the cab and examine the chassis. He’d originally wanted to import a newer, extra-strength chassis from Europe, but when that proved to be a bureaucratic nightmare he decided to modify the existing model, which he lengthened and doubled for more reinforcement—a process that took months."

"We move on to the trailer, which at the moment sits toward the back of the garage. Walking through a swing-out door, I find myself in a bathroom with a sink, shower area, and retractable toilet"

"Much of the trailer is still under construction, but there’s already a wall of kitchen equipment, including a convection oven, a microwave, and an induction-cooktop stove."

So it is 100% real but that is not to say the images you looked at were not manipulated in some way
Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

big difference between a completely fabricated image and a touched up photo of something physical.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

First I am talking about the pictures in the first link by the original poster Vince, not any other links.

You can clearly see the error in mapping on the front fender and the two plates on the front bumper.

This is clearly CGI, also no tire tracks on either vehicle.

There for this is also clearly CGI as it is from the same image.

Again same image with night lighting effects very easy to change lighting when the model is already generated.

Same model rotated for top view, clearly CGI

Now since this image is with the rest of the other CGI images and the fact that the lighting is off, to me anyways, I assumed it was also CGI. Since some of the later posts with links seems to suggest that the Tractor portion of this build is complete then this may not be CGI after all. When the trailer is complete maybe we will see actual photos.

Miles

'73 Pinzgauer 712M