How to use six wheels ?

Pretty much anything 716 or 718 technical that is not driveline or engine related.
Ulysses

How to use six wheels ?

Post by Ulysses »

Hi guys, this may sound ignorant but we really need advice on how to use our drive selectors to get the best out of our six wheels on the 718 (Turbo diesel). What conditions and situations should we make what selections to get the best response ? Also, we have a single red (toggle type) button close to the left of the drivers seat (right hand drive) ... but are mustified as to what it actually does and don't want to damage anything by experiementing too much. All advice much appreciated.
David Dunn
United States of America

Re: How to use six wheels ?

Post by David Dunn »

The use of the front drive and lockers are discussed in the 710/12 sections, the TDs respond the same with two big exceptions, the front lockers will only engage with the rear locker already engage and the front drive automatically engages when low range is selected . The selectors are electro/pneumatic and are wired to best protect the mechanics from overstress

To over simplify use, front drive should be engage on loose ground and axle lockers when an axle looses almost all traction. None should be engaged on hard pavement ( there are exceptions ( very few))

As for the red switch, you’ll need to post a pic. Though there over 2 ½ times the number of gas Pinzes made, there are more variations on TDs. You should post the basic known data on your truck to your sig line (and your location in your profile) so to possibly help others to help you
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

Thanks. Will do.
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

Hi, sorry to be blind but can you please stear me to the posts about axle selection you mentioned in the 712 posts as I can't seem to track this down ? Much appreciated
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

I don't know which posts Dave was referring to, but in my 712W I start by engaging the front axle (for 6WD) as soon as off pavement roads could use extra traction, such as washboards, very loose dirt/gravel/sand, and steeper up and down hills (where in 6WD the front and rear axles are tied together, so during braking one axle can't lock up those wheels). As the going gets steeper and/or less flat side to side (washouts, off camber, etc.) I lock the rear diffs which ensures that whatever wheel with traction/pressure (being pushed up into the body by terrain) has positive drive. When off the pavement I'll leave it this way even for sharp switchbacks. Only for the worst of passages will I lock the front diff; but it can make a big difference. Steering is a pig this way (no power steering in a 712, alas) but the added grip of wheels that aren't spinning is significant.

As the route gets better and smoother, things are released in the reverse order. Since the 712 has no ABS I usually leave it in 6WD even for smooth roads during steep descents on loose surfaces as braking behaves better. There are exceptions to all of this, of course, and may differ a bit with your 718 but the general idea is the same.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

Thats great. The fog has lifted. Much appreciated.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Do a search on "use of lockers" or "levers", I know there is at least one topic with good detail to their use. But be forwarn, the TDs cannot lock only the front axle like in the gas Pinzes, the way they are wired won't allow it. Also, when you shut down a TD, the front drive is automatically engaged for more secure parking on a hill ( and there is a tread on that also.. where a 710 rolled down a hill... with the emergency brake on :roll: )

Jim, the majority of TDs do not have ABS, ETC or EBD. These are functions added by ATL along with upgrading the engine to the 2.5TDI ( somewhere around 2002/3 ?). If I was to hazard a guess, there were probably less than 800 of these Pinzes made
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

Thanks David, will investigate.