can you drop a drop a diesel engine into a pinz?

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

Alan
You are absolutely right!
I get about 3 calls a week on average from Pinz owners looking for a repower project.
The latest one I hear is a Suzuki engine and auto box

The maxim on this activity has to be is the donor engine better than the original in ALL aspects.
To date I have yet to find one for the Pinz.
Dennis
OOOps no customer bashing now
wd8cdh

Post by wd8cdh »

lindenengineering wrote:I get about 3 calls a week on average from Pinz owners looking for a repower project.
The latest one I hear is a Suzuki engine and auto box
<snip>
Dennis
Hi Dennis,

That's hilarious since a lot of Suzuki Sammy and Tracker owners want to repower their vehicles. Can you imagine a 1.3L Sammy motor in a Pinz?????? :roll:
Ron Schroeder
WD8CDH
'73 710M
lindenengineering

Hey Ron
Good statements. I suppose when you own a Pinz you want to be different. Some want to way out there and de-rate to a Sammy engine.

I like my Rangie for a road car, nice and long legged, but a Pinz facinates me. Even after all these years of working in this industry the innovation and design are a marvel. Off road I just like the way the truck just feels and talks back to the operator. Good for confidence that!

Tonight I used my Pinz to pick up a moped for a Pinz contact in Arizona, as I snicked O/D and went round the Denver ring (E&C470) at 70mph I thought for something 30 years old this aint bad as it vibroed, rattled and roared its head off.
(abit like a Series 3 LR)
So why on earth would you want to change something so balanced and well thought out, well I already answered the question.----Just to be different.
Dennis
Rap!st

Post by Rap!st »

excellent:)!!
lindenengineering

Well how's about this for wanting to be different?

Last night I attended the RMP Meet 'n Greet, great family fun thing organized by the club. (I like that about the Pinz group emphasis family)

One of the members and a good customer Darren and I discussed the merits of an "Electric Pinz". I had whimsied this some time ago since the driveline layout ideally suits an electric traction motor and control pack.
The bed centre section would accept a decent amount of batteries, junk the "ancient" fuel tank for more batt space and there you have it... Run silent through the woods and trails of Colorado----Except for the whine of the diffs!
Range probably in the order of 300 miles, throw the canvass off and place a bimini style top on the truck, mount on some "sunlight converters" and you have a free refill system. Now that should be attractive to you cheap and cheerful guys. Besides its taking advantage of all this global warming those CO2 puffers are creating!
Down side, well if you got too rambuncious and turned it over, the acid from the cheap batteries low tech (read cheap and cheerful) might cause an enviromental hiccup.
Who knows I might get famous, sell a million units, get stinking rich, buy a big fancy car (Hummer perhaps!) and get puffing GOBS of CO2 into the atmosphere
Oh I'm whimsying again.
But that is different and food for thought the next time you blokes neglect the oil level, blow the engine and scratch you head on what to do next.
Dennis

Post by 2012 »

"..."sunlight converters" and you have a free refill system." ?

how much power are you thinking this electric motor might want?
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

How about 460-480volts DC :shock: I have trained on GM electric vehicles during my 20+ years as a GM tech, from the EV-1 to the electric S-10 pick-ups, and none of them EVER met the 300 mile mark on one charge.
All the early EV's had issues like hydrogen sulfide gas build up as well as a few fires from the charge plug.(Tech's get P.I's not released to the public)
I have a friend working on Nickle hydride batt systems for electric vehicles, he says give it another 2 years for Batteries to properly evolve and it may be feasable :wink:
One other Item is 800lbs in batteries :shock:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
lindenengineering

Jim Old mate, there you have it. Qualified by putting GM in your post!

At least Ford recognises its problem by putting a circle around their problem and announces the fact by displaying it on the grill of every product they make bearing the name.

Ah the motor industry. Here's quizzer, who's logo was a multiple whoosh and went backwards, now that defied logic to me?
Dennis
EuroPinz

Post by EuroPinz »

Hello Dennis & Jim,

You're probably both right - but the idea of an electrical motor - even with just 150 miles distance wouldn't be that bad. Here in Europe we do not drive as long distances as you do in the USA and I for myself own a Pinz 712 SAN - of which I take the SAN box off - and use my PINZ most of the time like a PINZ 712 Transporter. This allows me 3,000 Lbs of added weight which then would certainly not be a problem to have quite a large battery rack in my PINZ. - Especially considering the gasoline prices here in Europe, the Kyoto protocol that most of the EEC countries have signed and the actual war in Lebanon going on, jumping the gasoline prices even higher.

Post by 2012 »

what's a 712san? got pix?
EuroPinz

Post by EuroPinz »

712 SAN in Europe is what you call in the USA a 712 AMB
(Sanitäter = Ambulance)

Post by 2012 »

ah! that's what i have!

how do you take the box off?
Lightningpinz

Post by Lightningpinz »

Hi Euro Pinz. Here is a sight I have been looking at.

http://www.electroauto.com/gallery/vp914.shtml

They have done Porsche 914's, vws, geo metro's, and small American pickup trucks. The 914 has 19 6vor 8v batteries if I count right in the kit. It has the following specs: Top Speed: 90+ mph
Range: 80-100 miles. Yes the weight and aerodynamics are better than a Pinz, but with 3000 lbs of batteries, the range might be conceiveable. They do design reviews and consultation.
EuroPinz

Post by EuroPinz »

2012 - to take the AMB box off is quite easy - except that the box is bulky and about 1,100 Lbs heavy - depending of inside equipment.

Step (1): On each side of the box - on the outside underneath the wooden rail you will find 3 rubber plugs. Take them out and unscrew the bolts. That is 3 on the right hand side and 3 on the left hand side. They are equally distant from each other.
Step (2): Behind the driver seat you will find a large electrical plug - unplug it and stow it away in the small door from the AMB box - located close from that plug. Unplug the small banana plug (=license plate light).
Step (3): If you have a heater in your AMB box - locate the fuel line and disconnect it and slide it away in a sense that it will not be ripped off when you lift the box.
Step (4): In your spare tire compartment you should have 4 ???? (oh boy how does one call these?? my english is not perfect!) like a donut with a bolt on the bottom (galvanized metal).
Step (5): Climb on top of your box (no worries it will hold your weight) and unscrew in each corner of the box the bolts and replace them with the ?? donut shaped ?? bolts.
Step (6): Attach a rope, wire or chain to all four ??donut shaped?? bolts and lift the box VERTICALLY at least 10 inches.
ATTENTION: The box needs to be lifted vertically as it has 2 guide bolts on the front, underneath of it.
Step (7): Once the guide bolts are clear of everything drive your PINZ forward.
Step (8 ): Set your box down.

All in all - it takes me about 1/2 hour to do that - knowing there is a beer waiting for my afterwards.

I have the original documentation from the Swiss army about this AMB box - just a few pages BUT NOT IN ENGLISH. I could photocopy these pages and snail mail them to you. Using the internet you could use the free translation service on ALTAVISTA.COM to translate it for yourself.
EuroPinz

Post by EuroPinz »

Thank you LIGHTNINGPINZ - I will contact them and see if they (we) can come to a solution - who knows, maybe I'll have the first electric powered PINZ. Of course I will have to clear with my country's technical vehicle inspection station if I am allowed to do that. They rather see a vehicle being used with it's original setup and are very particular about it. One never knows, they might accept an ellectric powered PINZ.
The other solution would to be to put a fuel injection system in it - if it gives better gas mileage! I am following (in this forum) very closely what JIM is doing on his PINZ with the fuel injection system.

Regards
Jack