Power

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

Ark

Power

Post by Ark »

I've read up on the Pinzgauer for a little while and the question of power always seems to come up sooner or later. Some people talk about going to the trouble of dropping a diesel in while others get larger jugs or different carbs. None of these options really put out that much hp when compared to some other vehicles. I've heard different reasons not to put huge amounts of hp into the pinz such as traction or originality, but I've never heard what it can handle. For example, if I could somehow get a supercharged 426 in there and hacked 44 inch tires on it, I would imagine that the drivetrain would get shredded the first time I let the clutch out on asphalt. So, what are the limits of the drivetrain? At what point do axle shafts start snapping? Or, for that matter, at what point do bearings start getting excessive wear after only 1000 miles? Just something I've always wondered.

Post by 2012 »

isn't there someone in the us (southeast?) who was involved in the original engineering? that's the data needed.
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

I suggest you go drive a Pinz if you are interested in one or you will be wasting your time and money. A good running Pinz (710M )will do 65mph(fast enough for an overglorified tractor) :roll:
As far as what the driveline will take, I wouldn't push much past 125hp .
If you take the time to search the Yahoo groups Pinz database, 110-140 is the max power input recomended by the designers :shock:

Also remember, these trucks use drum brakes and have independent suspension. Not a good combo for massive horsepower :roll:
Last edited by Jim LaGuardia on Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."

Post by 2012 »

also, the difference between braking in my 712 amb and a 710m i drove was, at minimum, DRASTIC. my 712 stops on a dime. given, the comparison involved only 2 pinz's, but there's that data for you.
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

I think the reason the braking is so much better on the 712 is because of the inverted leaf springs in the rear. When brake is applied the leading rear tire is forced down with more force due to the linkage to the trailing rear tires wanting to lift up, thus giving improved braking power like the front tires with the CG shifting forward. And 6 sets of brakes don't hurt either.

Miles
Ark

Post by Ark »

Now, wasn't there a company a few years back who offered engine upgrades for the pinz? If I remember right, they claimed they could get something like 250 hp out of a modified stock engine. Based on what Jim was saying, I would think that would be a good way to ruin some expensive parts. My memory is a little weak on this one so I don't know if every detail is right. Has anyone ever heard of one of these things being used?
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

If you take the time to search the Yahoo groups Pinz database, 110-140 is the max power input recomended by the designers
Jim is correct! ... According to my sources at SDP, 125 hp (I guess plus or minus a few) was always touted, as the maximium power the factory designers allowed for, to maintain reliability and integrity of the drivetrain / components.

BTW...Don't forget we are talking DIN hp (althought there isn't a lot of difference)
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
EuroPinz

Post by EuroPinz »

well guys - I have to say that Jim is again right on all the points. Especially the hp the Pinz can handle but more with the fact that one need to drive a Pinz first.
Most people that put such a big engine in a vehicle and such big tires is to impress people - and believe me, simply park a Pinz next to a Hummer and it allready is impressive - but when one goes offroad with a Pinz, that is when one will really enjoy the original engineering of the Pinzgauer.
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

I run my 710m's fully loaded at very high altitudes. I don't ever feel that I need more power. It seems like an American phenomenon-(trying to stuff big engines into everything). Just DESIGN it better to begin with and there is no need to throw a hemi at it! The Swiss have built a better mousetrap!

P.S.-Big horsepower is for drag racing. Not four wheeling!
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

P.S.-Big horsepower is for drag racing. Not four wheeling!
Just look what a Haflinger can do "off-road" with 28 bhp 8)
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com

a comment from the dark ages (current moment)

Post by 2012 »

however, it WOULD be nice to drive something like a pinz off road that could drive something like a mercedes g500 as soon as the front tires touched pavement. it would also be nice for it to be mass produced and cheap. just an idea - waiting for a designer.... 8)

spaceflight was once deemed impossible. many ppl agreed with the "authorities" because the scientific "authorities" stated it as fact.

"the reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. :shock: "

-george bernard shaw