left to right swap

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

Steve

left to right swap

Post by Steve »

I've looked through the archives and couldn't find anything on the subject, so...

Gents,

What is a general opinion about swapping out the tires, left side to right, and vice versa?

There's about 3/4" difference in tread depth on each tire. Yes, I'm still running the original Maloyas. Hoping to get by until summer when I can get something less extreme.

I drive about 90% of the time on paved roads.

Thanks,

Steve

1973 712M
Protoman333

Post by Protoman333 »

didnt see a reply on this yet and was here soooo...

i leave them alone until the tread starts to wear a lot on the outsides (i actually try to leave about 0.25 inches of lug...maybe a little less than that but not much) than i swap them from one side to the other as you stated. when the "fresh" side of the tires equals the worn side, its time for new tires.

i never let mine wear much further than that as i have had a lockup on the front drivers side that d*mn near flipped me, and i was only going ~ 10-12 mph or so. it locked up for a reason completely unrelated to trhe subject but it was a little preview as to what might happen with a blow out and not something i want to repeat because of incompetence. iow, i would be stupid of me to let my cheapness win out and use up as much tread as possible before changing them out only to then have a blow out because i let the tires go too far...
Chris
'73 710m
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

First, get rid of those awful and dangerous Maloyas. Second, if you insist on putting yourself or others in peril please do not drive over 40mph.
As for rotation, you must dismount the tires and flip them on the rims for proper wear.
Not trying to be mean, just can't stand seeing people endanger themselves and others over substandard non DOT rated tires that handle like crap on the road.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Because of the swing axles, you need to dismount the tires and reverse them on the rim to wear the other side.

As far as being cheap, a set of tires is a lot cheaper than a funeral... or hospital .

Jim, As those Maloya tires were never intended for anything other than use in Europe, Maloyas would never invest in getting them certified for use in the US ( DOT label). The old military bar tires would be a good counterpoint here. Tough as nails, but dangerous if you needed to react to something in an emergency.

Dave Dunn
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
75pinz

maloyas suck

Post by 75pinz »

But they don't suck any worse than a 9.00 x 16 NDT. I think they would be a good choice if you were always chained up off road. I am completely unimpressed with my radial Trxus tires and marginally happy with my Bighorns. The Bighorn is twice the tire the Trxus is though. I have two 6x6's here, one with the Trxus and one with the Bighorns, both brand new, both in 255 85 16's. Both the Bighorns and the Trxus tires seriously handicap the Pinz off road compared to the LTB Swampers that were on my last truck, Todds112's truck now. But, I bet they last longer and they do have better road manners.
andy

Post by andy »

75pinz, I guess I'm showing my ignorance again, would you please care to expand on how the Trxus tires handicap the Pinz off road? Those are what came with mine and since "ignorance is bliss" I have been satisfied with what they have done for me so far. Probably over half of my driving is on real crappy ranch roads that are little more than tracks with lots of hills and loose rock. They have lasted over a year for me, which on my F 250 is unheard of, a set of tires on it lasts about 9 months. Those were usually Goodyears and now Toyos.

So, if I can get better tires I'd appreciate knowing how and what.
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
www.deerleaseservices.com
75pinz

clarification

Post by 75pinz »

I was comparing them to the off road capability of the 34 x 10.50 LTB's I had previously. I think the Trxus tires have less traction than the Bighorns. I don't really love the Bighorns but they are better than the Trxus tires.
Steve

swap

Post by Steve »

All,

I want to thank everyone that posted on this subject. I guess it didn't register that the stock Maloya's weren't DOT approved (or so dangerous).

Mine have been in daily use for the better part of a year now, and have given me absolutely no trouble in rain, snow or ice.

Now I'm going to ask what your recommendations would be for a street tire that would also be good out in the country. Again, 90% of the driving will be on paved roads, while the remaining 10% will be on steep (no more than 45°) gravel roads.

Thank you all again!

Steve

1973 712M
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Steve, with you one mile drive down Douglass to and from work and the speed limit being 35mph not sure Maloya's are going to fail you any time soon. :D
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Steve, with you one mile drive down Douglass to and from work and the speed limit being 35mph not sure Maloya's are going to fail you any time soon. :D
Steve

Post by Steve »

Erik,

I'll have you know that it's 2 miles, one way! :lol:

That 3/4" difference in tread depth is a bit bothersome. I probably won't be able to spring for a new set until next spring and was hoping to make the swap and get by on the cheap.

I will leave them as they are until I get some feedback on what others have tried or use. I like the looks of yours, but not that wide. :wink:

Steve

1973 712M
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Because of the swing axles, you need to dismount the tires and reverse them on the rim to wear the other side.
Aren,t the maloya's Directional?
PinzEOD

Post by PinzEOD »

Even if they are (were?) directional, flip them on the rim and put them on the other side of the truck. :wink:
Mike Newton 1973 712M (sold)
I do not like this word "bomb." It is not a bomb. It is a device that is exploding. Jacques le Blanc
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

:oops:
JKarber

Post by JKarber »

Hi Steve,

Before my Colorado trip, I purchased a set of 265/75 trxus tires and have been quite happy with them. I know there are about as many opinions about what tire to get as there are available types -but I made my decision after looking all over this board, and reading what a lot of other offroad forums had to say about them. If you want to do a road test (and offroad) let me know -as it's time for me to pay you back for the ride in your 712.

My only regret on the tires was letting the tire shop tell me that they could balance it fine (two tries did not do the job). I told them about my learnings from the board on lug centricity and the need for and adapter -but they didn't seem to believe me. The weekend before leaving, I took it to another shop who took off the weights and threw in 4.5 oz of glass beads inside each tire and that seemed to fix the problem.

Also if you are looking for a cheap temporary solution, I have my five old maloya's sitting here downtown in storage. We could probably find a way to even out the tread on your 6 wheels on the ground with a total of 12 tires between us.