Shock Cord Rubber for Soft Top

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

NM_Mogman

Post by NM_Mogman »

I was wondering where the best place to get the rubber shock cord for the soft top would be? I have a few pieces that have rotted and need replacement. Also, where do you get the crimper and crimps for these. Any help would be appreciated. I am in Rio Rancho, NM just outside of Albuquerque.

Thanks in advance,

Phil
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

I'm not sure about the best place but I've always been happy with Swiss Army Vehicles. They carry the shock cord (SAV2500) and the ss crimps (SAV2550). You don't need a special crimper. I use a pair of channel-lock pliers and they work fine.

Expedition Imports probably carries these also and they are good place to do business with too.

Hope this helps.
Paul
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

I've found one of the best things, is to go to a bearing supplier and buy 8 mm dia O Ring cord.... it's relatively cheap and it looks exactly like the original product if your fussed that way! :wink:

As to the crimps you can reuse the old ones or they are relatively simple to make yourself....prefably out of stainless steel!
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
PinzEOD

Post by PinzEOD »

I got mine from McMaster Carr (www.mcmaster.com). They have the cord, crimps and crimping tool. As far as the tool goes, I've found a "tile nibbler" works perfectly for the task. It's a lot cheaper than the real tool, and the pincher edges do not close all the way so the crimp comes out about perfect.
Mike Newton 1973 712M (sold)
I do not like this word "bomb." It is not a bomb. It is a device that is exploding. Jacques le Blanc
Douwe

Post by Douwe »

I had ordered the rubber cord from swissarmyvehicles but it didn't fare that well after a year. I don't know if I had it too tight or if they had an inferior type of rubber.

I ended up replacing the rubber and clamps with the following from mcmaster which is working well so far (only 6 months).

bungee: 3937T32
clamps: 54105K38

-Douwe
NM_Mogman

Post by NM_Mogman »

Thanks for all the replies so far. I wonder if the cords are too taught they will wear out too fast from the tension? I will have to check in the manual to see if there is a specific length that each section should be.

Phil
ms1223

Post by ms1223 »

I used "o" ring material from Motion Industries. Make sure you specify the rubber has UV protectant in it. First batch lasted a couple of months and cracked.
Swifty in Illinois
Swifty 72 710M