Steering wheel removal

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

todds112

Post by todds112 »

I have investigated 1000's of crashes in the last 17 years. I have seen every mechanism of injury you can imagine. Without getting too graphic, I have seen people impaled on the most unlikely, and likely, vehicle parts. I have seen crashes with very minor damage resulting in fatalities. I have seen people walk away from horrible mangled unrecognizable wreckage.

I have come to some general realizations: Seat belts (no matter what kind, where placed, etc.) WILL greatly improve your chance of survival and limit injury. Size matters (generally the bigger vehicle wins and occupants are better off), and LUCK MATTERS MOST.

Sad but true. I have seen so many bizarre things, I have to say I am a firm believer in, "When it's your time..." That being said I do EVERYTHING possible to keep it from being my time (slow down, wear seat belts, don't drink and drive, etc.)
1973 712M
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

Gents
Having worked for several large manufacturers in my lurid career much at engineering levels we had the opportunity to not only look at how our products performed in all sorts of crash situations but also observe how the competitors were doing as the competition.

Going back to steering wheels the modus operandi is/was to make sure the wheel deforms but doesn't shatter/fracture thereby causing contingent injury to the occupants.

Having browsed over replacement steering wheels at several local "Speedshops' it is clear that some definately don't comply to any regulation. I asked one assistant in a 4wd shop about type approval and he looked at me like I was from Mars. It is clear that caveat emptor applies in the US when it comes to altering a vehicle and the rules are very relaxed when it comes to severely altering a vehicle for use on the public highway by unqualified people. Often this add on stuff comes with disclaimers about "for off road use only". Its a legal way of limiting product liability in the event of an accident/injury in these litigious United States.

This is not so in many countries. Eurozone territories are very restrictive on many items including tyre sizes and I remember us as a "factory" adding an axle under a bus for Australia required fresh Auzzie engineering approval before it could roll a wheel on Auz highways.

Replying to the post about seat belts, yes they did get a "pass" by the TuV but a big note was the concern about the lack of anything in the rear on "M"'s. Now we have seen posts about DIY belt mods on this forum and some are good and then some are bad. I saw what looked at first glance as "credible" only to raise my eyebrows when I saw how the longtitudinal rail was attached to the side structure.----BY 1/4 bolts into sheet metal, and that was meant to arrest 4 occupants in the event of a roll over etc.
Frightenening!

Safety and crash survivability innovation are a result of insurance company pressure, basically it comes down to money. Ford the masters of doing the least for the most "bang for the buck" are a prime example. Just a few examples like that bloody awful landcrab the Crown Vic. Prone to crushing its fuel tank in rear enders the police version gets some reinforcement whilst its ordinary Joe public version get nowt.
The same goes for the Exploder, I challenge you all to find the max weight advisory. Here's a clue, get a magnifying glass and thumb through the handbook. Its there.
Take any Euro vehicle and it is plastered all over the place. So why would Ford USA hide such an important piece of info. Well as they say the devil is in the details. Do the math, four strapping fat & healthy American males say 250lbs each now add all the luggage crap on the roof in the back and add Bowser for good luck drooling in the back on a camping trip. Now compare that against the tiny details in the handbook. Crickey. No wonder the US auto industry needs an army of attorneys and Congress lobbyists.

My brother (who is also in this auto industry) came over to the US for last Christmas. On the ride back to the house he was shocked at the lack of protection on Semis & Big rigs to guard against doing severe injury to occupants of cars & light vehicles. Where's the trailer side underun rails, where's the deforming trailer anti underrun bumper on that trailer, Struth! what's that maniac in the Mack doing in the outside lane at 90 mph doing?

I glibly replied trying to make money. The maxim still applies. The Pinz is a great truck but crash worthy it aint, so drive carefully and give thanks that it won't do much more than 60 mph with the wind behind it!
Dennis
OOOps no customer bashing now
todds112

Post by todds112 »

Got my new steering wheel and put it on today. I really do like the newer wheel. It's much more comfortable and "grippy".

That being said, it was a major PITA to get the old one off. I tried everything. Puller, hammer, even tried to get a bottle jack in there with some wood blocks. That thing wouldn't budge! In the end I got out the trusty reciprocating saw and cut right through the hub, then used a cold chisel to spread it. It FINALLY popped off. Unbelievable! So much for keeping the old one. :roll:

Pcolette, you were right, mine had the tappet attached to the old wheel. The new wheel didn't have any holes to mount it. Had to mark and drill them. Used the same size self-tapping screws. Mounted up easy, horn and everything switched over fine.
1973 712M
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Todd, glad to hear you like the feel of the new wheel. I'm really happy with mine.

Sorry you had such a hard time removing the old one. I guess my "lucky" mallet helped me more than I thought.

I'm really surprised your new wheel didn't have the tappet holes pre-drilled. You would think all the wheels would be the same - maybe I expect too much. :?

Paul
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
todds112

Post by todds112 »

Yeah I think, "Expect the Unexpected" should be the Pinzgauer moto. :roll:
1973 712M