Starter problem

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

bernhard

Starter problem

Post by bernhard »

My new K seams to have a starter problem. When I hit the starter button I get the starter to turn but it won’t crank the engine. I changed the solenoid thinking it was bad but it still dose it. This is not all the time just about 25% percent of the time. If I look at the flywheel there are a few teeth that are a messed up. (see pic) I’m guessing when the starter is on that spot it just grinds instead of engaging. The only thing is if I wait a second or two it engages again. I would imagine if the teeth were that messed up it would get to that spot and never turn over. Anyone know what’s going on?

Thanks

Bernhard

Bernhard
1973 712M
1975 710K
2013 Tacoma TRD 4X4
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

Take a look at the starter.

There are a few folks who have fitted Unimog starter motors to Pinzies.
They look the same, they fit the same, but the bendix pinion is NOT the same.
Neither is the unit interchangeable by swopping the bendix.
I have come across a few "smarties" who have bought these NOS Mog starters only to have a big bloody surprise!
Dennis
MarkPinz
United States of America

Post by MarkPinz »

Hey Bernhard,

Am doing exactly the same thing to my 72 K right now, same symptoms as well.

Have had my K about a year now but progressively when I engage the starter button the motor spins no gear contact. A few off on's with the key & it eventually starts.

Pulled the starter & did a bench test with jumper cables. Every time contact was made the bendix gear kicked out & spun as it should? This normally would lead me to think there was an ignition switch connection problem & not starter? I aslo went ahead & ordered up some parts to do an overhaul on the motor & a new solenoid. The brushes actually didn't look too bad but quite a bit of dust / dirt was inside the motor.

If I remember right a fix for the chewed ring gear teeth on my old cars was to hammer off the ring from the flywheel & flip it around.

Anyway Hope my overhaul results won't end up at square one either?
Just get in and go....
bernhard

Post by bernhard »

Thanks for the input Dennis and Randy.

I pulled the tranny and am working on getting the flywheel off. The bolts won’t budge with a ½ impact and this is after soaking them in lube. Ill try tomorrow with a little bit of heat. Dennis I believe the starter to be original as this is strait off the Swiss lot. How can I tell the difference? Randy I also did the jumper cable bench test and everything worked. I didn’t think about the ignition switch. Sound like this is a likely problem as I don’t get a grinding noise just a spinning of the starter. Ill swap the starter button and ignition switch out of the M and see if this cures the problem.

Bernhard
Bernhard
1973 712M
1975 710K
2013 Tacoma TRD 4X4
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Those bolts are at 250 ft lbs torque and have blue loctite on them.
you need to lock the flywheel and use a breaker bar to get them off. Call me and I'll give you a quick run down on short cuts :wink:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
MarkPinz
United States of America

Post by MarkPinz »

Theres A nifty cheap tool for VW motors I use for locking flywheels. It uses a bolt from the bellhousing block mounts to index, then two big teeth on the tool engage the ring gear holding it steady for bolt removel / tightening.

Be back on mine today been out of town for a couple days. Have to take a closer look at the ring gear teeth as well been working in the dark outside after work.

Mark
Just get in and go....
wwcommando

Post by wwcommando »

I have the same problem with the starter, everytime it happens I cycle the ignition switch and the truck fires right up, leads me to believe I have dirty contacts in ignition switch. on the same note does anybody have a pinout diagram for the ignition switch? I was thinking about a more secure lock setup with maybe some 24volt relays to replace the switch.
Jeff
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

Pinzie and mog starters look identical.
The giveaway is the number of teeth on the Pinzie bendix In your case it's nine
Dennis