Fuel injection revisited

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

I will be getting my system installed as soon as I finish up some work on a Hafie and a 6x6, and a front axle on Dave's Hafie :roll: , then it's my turn.
I will take plenty of photo's :wink:
You have to keep the injectors cool, they tend to malfunction after heat soaking if too close to the head :cry:
FFT
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

You can be rest assured that the Pinz if built with a gasoline/petrol engine would most likely be controlled by a full Bosch EFI system.
This ostensibly would be to conform to air pollution regulations.

For me that carburetor is dead, long live the EFI system.Dead buried and patted down flat!

The added complication is what drives this industry, we as a repair shop make our revenue from repairing these types of systems. In short its what pays the bills, and gives the most competant in this business salaries in excess of $60K per year. If it wasn't for all this technology we mechanics would be still earning minimum wages.
In the years to come this will drive a bigger salary as complication
takes the DIY repair out of the realms of the front yard tinker on a Sunday. In the UK I spoke to a mechanic who is earning more than his wife a trial lawyer and he only works 32hours per week.

I am of course digressing, several years ago I often asked new Pinz owners why they found this Pinz truck so appealing. Just about everyone interviewed said the same thing. "Its because its simple and I want a truck that I can repair myself without all those stupid scanner things that you guys use these days". I have a newer truck, like a Landrover/Toyota but I can't fix that its too complicated.
So the reason for these recent posts poses a salient question; arn't you guys hankering for the things you didn't want in a vehicle in the first place?
Dennis
OOOps no customer bashing now
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Hi Dennis,

Do I detect the trace of the luddite here? http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/PRluddites.htm
:shock: :roll:
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Ok, I promised pic's...............so here they are.
Spent Sunday helping Jim Mettler get his Beck injection installed and running :twisted: Image
Now it's time for mine :!:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

Hey Jim
Looks nice with
a clean up perhaps on the wiring looms here 'n there.

In short I have to state, I smell the aroma of a certain green paper in supplyinjg, AND fixing it as it gets older.

Paying for collegue for my youngest may not be out of the question.
Aint technology great?
Dennis
OOOps no customer bashing now
MASSIVE PINZ

Post by MASSIVE PINZ »

In short I have to state, I smell the aroma of a certain green paper in supplyinjg, AND fixing it as it gets older.
Nope...
With quality connectors and techniques as well as a good ECU the wiring can go for many, many years. A good example is some of the old VW and Porsche engines that used EFI as early as 1968, they are still going with the factory wire harnasses and connectors. One must keep in mind that this was long before the time of the GM weatherpack connectors that seal themselves from the elements very well, even when submerged.

I have some updates on my EFI arrangement that I'll be making in the weeks to come, I'm just back from two weeks at Le mans and trying to catch up.

Testing continues, but will be finished by Fall if we stay on schedule and can get the plenums in producytion. I have swapped plenums 4 times now, its a very critical portion of the arrangement..
Jake Raby
Owner, Raby's Aircooled Technology
www.aircooledtechnology.com
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

Sometimes I think we must remember that there is always a starting place for everything and anything for our trucks has the potential to be expensive,mostly due to the limited market. Also Dennis,I believe you're having Lucas flashbacks!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: TTFN,Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
MASSIVE PINZ

Post by MASSIVE PINZ »

Yep, you can snap an axle on a Pinz and the repair can cost more than buying a complete new wire harnass for my EFI arrangement... The coil packs come from a Dodge Neon and cost 71 bucks for all 4 brand new, from the Dealer..

Hell, rebuilding both carbs (Parts only) can cost as much as 4 brand new injectors that will last for 300K miles..
Jake Raby
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

I agree with Jake, dollar for dollar I think any EFI will be just as much or even less to repair than carbs.
Now if I can only find a blower that will fit :roll:
The 712W is set to be dyno mapped on friday.
The wire loom will be secured after the other options are installed.
It is nice to not smell gas in the cab 8)
For me, I just want a nice running truck, no more loose carbs for me :twisted:
As for the green.....................It's my favorite color :lol:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

Just for interest sake, I don't know if you guys have ever seen SDP's fuel injected and turbocharged prototype Pinzgauer motor....the vehicle was dubbed the 715 E.
It never came to be, because the petrol motor was phased out in favour of the diesel, and the result was the 716/718 TD
The setup and motor was detailed in the book "Puch Automobile 1900 - 1990" by Friedrich F Ehn.

Maybe when you add a turbo to yours Jim, you can reclassify it's designation to 715 :D

Last edited by Profpinz on Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
Foz

Post by Foz »

Nice work Jim... got pics of the fuel systems timing sensors?
Foz
MASSIVE PINZ

Post by MASSIVE PINZ »

The Turbocharged version of the Pinz does not surprise me at all. The stock cylinder heads have a 105% I/E ratio, which is indicative of a port balance that would be super complimented by Turbo.

I already have my Turbo header built and have chosen the Turbo that will be used (T2/T3 Hybrid). I plan on working with this in my spare time in 2007 after the EFI bugs are worked out and after the development of the Nickies cylinders is where I want it to be.

I need to keep the engine in my Pinz gradually developed to maximize the amount of tests that I can do back to back for observation.

The 3.2L engine is ready to be assembled, crank is stroked, Nickies are done head work and port work is complete and cam is ground. I hope to have this engine on the dyno by years end for some various changes and then be working with more stock based tests in the vehicle, ultimately awaiting the install of the Big Boy late next year.

I have definately been busy in my spare time with this, as you can tell. :shock:
Jake Raby
super vw

Post by super vw »

Wow, this is cool seeing you massage some pinz engines Jake! Are you planing on offering components or engine upgrade service on the pinz motors in the future?

BTW, This is Jonathan Rall from Bend, Oregon. we met at the Bug-O-Rama this last spring.
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Here is a pic of the crank and sync sensors 8) Image
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
Foz

Post by Foz »

schweet!
Foz