Clutch Problem

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

Buzz
United States of America

Clutch Problem

Post by Buzz »

Hello Gentlemen,
Today I was running along a forest road when we stopped to show a guest how to drive the Pinz. When my guest said they were in gear but we were not moving I became concerned. Bottom line: when the clutch is let out, I get no response from the truck. I can shift gears all day long but they will not engage.
My belief is that it is time to replace the clutch plate. Do you agree? And if so, got any tips? - Buzz
"It's as stupid and wonderful as owning a pet elephant."
1974 Pinzgauer 710M
1990 Puch G Wagon 230 GE
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

First make sure the t-case is in gear, if it is the clutch , just pull the trans and replace the failed parts.
No rocket science here :roll:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

You may want to check the clutch hydraulics to see that it is not seized at the slave cylinder.

Miles
Buzz
United States of America

Clutch Problem

Post by Buzz »

I got under the truck and watched the linkage move to conclude that it was shifitng OK. All the linkage seemed right but the clutch pedal goes all the way to the floor to no avail. milesdzyn : could you elaborate on how I could tell if the slave is the problem? The truck is still out in the woods and I would like to manage the number of trips I make with spares. - Thanks, Buzz
1974 Pinzgauer 710M
1990 Puch G Wagon 230 GE
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Pull the trans inspection cover from the bed to access the release lever cover. Use a 10mm wrench and remove the 2 nuts holding the cover, pull cover off and look inside for disk fragments. You can now also see the release(slave) working.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

Thanks for explaining that Jim.

As a silly side note, going with the it couldn't be that notion. Could your guest have maybe grabed the wrong knob and put the transfer case into neutral?

Miles
JC

Post by JC »

It could be the master cyl. and it is very cheap and easy rebuild compaired to a clutch replacement.
Keep Smiling :-)
jgeesen

Post by jgeesen »

Does the pedal feel different than it used to? Lighter, heavier, more or less travel? I would be surprised if switching drivers would take out a clutch. I agree with the other posters to check the Hi/Lo lever - been there, done that. I'd bet my boss's job on it.
Buzz
United States of America

Clutch Problem

Post by Buzz »

The pedal feels the same or a little bit lighter (maybe). The high/low lever was the first thing I checked yesterday. The master C could be a candidate too. I will pull the inspection cover tomorrow and have a look. Too beat tonight to get into it again. I got it home from the woods today thanks to a tow from one of my friends. Then I did lots of yard work to get ahead on the time I will need for this project. Thanks for all the posts. - Buzz
1974 Pinzgauer 710M
1990 Puch G Wagon 230 GE
Buzz
United States of America

Clutch Problem

Post by Buzz »

Well, the slave is fine. On the other hand, calling all that other stuff "chips" is kind of an understatement. It looks like a coarse-haired dog exploded in there! Its a wonder it was working at all.
Definitely time for a clutch. Thanks again for the posts. - Buzz
1974 Pinzgauer 710M
1990 Puch G Wagon 230 GE
Foz

Post by Foz »

What tools are yall using in clutch removal / aligment?
Foz
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

When I replaced the clutch in my K I used the pilot tool that came with the Auto-zone kit,only thing I had to do is wrap the end with a few turns of aluminum tape to match the Pinz pilot brng. EZY!! Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy

Post by 2012 »

hope i'm wasting space here but ... the exploding dog was THE funniest things i heard today, omygod....
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

For an alignment tool , the splines are the same as GM 10 spline , MBZ(early 4sp),BMW 733i, or Toyota Landcruiser(60's to late 70's) 8)
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
Buzz
United States of America

Clutch Problem

Post by Buzz »

Thanks for all the posts.
On the tools, I actually own an original Swiss clutch disc centering pin. It came in a case of Swiss shop tools that I bought with my truck three years ago. The tools cost two cases of beer in addition to the cash price. With the exception of the "brake bleeding spanner, only for front wheel" this will be the first time I have used any of them.
On the "coarse-haired dog" comment, I can only say the dog was probably not a large one. Thats a really little clutch! - Buzz
1974 Pinzgauer 710M
1990 Puch G Wagon 230 GE