tire alignment

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

critter
United States of America

tire alignment

Post by critter »

I just got my new shoes for my pinz (BFG 285 75 16) and the tire company was concerned about the way the rear tires seem to be cocked inward. Can this be adjusted or is this just the configuration due to the portal axes.

Bob
Charles

Post by Charles »

Hi Critter,
I suppose it depends on the amount of camber they were seeing. However, the Pinz is going to have more than the shop is probably used to seeing due to the portal axles and other things.

Seeya
Best Regards,
Charles
('73 710K)
PS: Keep your stick on the ice
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

The Pinzy has a unigue suspension and will ride on the outside of the tires-by design. There is no way to adjust this. I travel 95% off road with mine and under those conditions the tires are all wearing evenly. If you travel mostly on paved surfaces(?!), you will notice that the outside edges will wear much quicker than the insides.
A simple fix would be to add weight in the back to pre-compress the springs or cut a bit of the rear coils off to give it a more settled stance. I've noticed that the pinzy rides much better loaded than it does empty since the payload capacity is designed for 2,200 lbs.

Moral of the story: Load it up and get off the pavement! Otherwise you have the wrong tool for the job.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Twin Pinzies wrote:
A simple fix would be to add weight in the back to pre-compress the springs or cut a bit of the rear coils off to give it a more settled stance. I've noticed that the pinzy rides much better loaded than it does empty since the payload capacity is designed for 2,200 lbs.
One of the problems with shortening coil springs is that by my understanding is this will increase the spring rate and shouldn't be undertaken lightly unless a stiffer ride is desired.

Anthony
Wales
Buzz
United States of America

Tire Alignment

Post by Buzz »

Weight is the answer.
I keep the tire chains in the tool box and a couple 6 gallon jugs of water in the bed. I built a trailer to go with it and it rides better when that is loaded too. The more weight the better. It will ride better and quieter and the tires will last longer the more wieight you give it. - Buzz
"It's as stupid and wonderful as owning a pet elephant."
1974 Pinzgauer 710M
1990 Puch G Wagon 230 GE
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Independent suspension on the Pinz requires that the tires must be "reversed" on the rims to allow equal wear.
In short, when it comes time to rotate the tires, they must be dismounted and reversed on the rims.(about every 5000-6000 miles) :shock:
Once again no rocket science, just common sense.
I get 20,000+ miles to a set of tires this way :twisted:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."

Post by 2012 »

jim - what kind of tires do you have? what rims?