ALTERNATOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

ABSOLUTSECURITY

ALTERNATOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by ABSOLUTSECURITY »

Well nobody helped on the last post!!

ARGGGG! :x :x :x

ANYONE KNOW OF A BOSCH REPLACEMENT ALTERNATOR??

OR HAVE A PART # FOR AN ORIGINAL ONE _ I cant read it clearly on a blown up picture but it looks like 1125884 and looks like a Porsche 911 type.

Glynn
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

The Pinz alternator being 24v is very similar physically to the 12v unit installed in the Porsche.

I would imagine if you got a spare unit you could "diddle around" to try and make it a higher output 24v machine. I do remember CWRI several years ago had love affair with a few experimentals units made up as you are presumably experimenting with.

They weren't as I recall a raging success so you might want to contact Patrick for his views on the experiment
Dennis
OOOps no customer bashing now
ABSOLUTSECURITY

Thank you

For the reply! :D :D :D

You wouldnt happen to have Patrick contact info would you!

I am trying to get a blown/burnt out PINZ ALT to have my auto electric guy rebuild or find a part # to cross ref so I can get the ball rolling!

I know the windings are going to have to be a smaller gauge wire and I could run into problems with overloading the unit but my guy is really good and I just need to get something in his hands and then I can get some others put together so everyone that wants one can get one and get out of this 35 amp rut instead of going to 12 volt conversion or strapping another unit and running two systems!

I think there is light at the end of the tunnel!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:

Glynn
lindenengineering

You can phone CWRI on 303 346 8462
I believe his e mail is Coldwarremaketing@mindspring.com or you can go to his web site simply by googling Cold War Remarketing.
Best of luck with the project.
Dennis
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

Glynn....The problem is that at a $1000.00+ for a new alt. its worth rebuilding these. And not many people that have a spare are going to be willing to give it up, I know I wouldn't give up my spare. You may check with the Pinz shops or Mechanics, but even then you have a rebuildable product so you may have to buy one as a core return. I'll let you know if I see any on ebay, but they don't come up very often.

Good Luck...Miles
ABSOLUTSECURITY

Thanks Dennis and Miles!!!!!!!

I guess I am going to have to look for a Porsche 911 alternator and see what we can do with that unless I get lucky and find a PINZ original to work on - I really dont want to pull mine out of a perfectly good working Pinzi but that may have to be!

I will post what I come up with if and when I get it going - just imagine an 80 or 100 amp alternator maybe with remote diodes (cool charge) in 24 volt !!!!!!!! :wink:

If anyone comes up with a cross reference on Bosch alternators before I do please let me know!

Glynn
lindenengineering

Well I can image a sketch artist doing a 100amp 24v alternator doodle.
It would be an alternator sweating like mad unless you address the engine/wiring harness limitations on the current set (excuse the pun!) !
Dennis
ABSOLUTSECURITY

Thank you Dennis

I talked to Patrick and got some more sage wisdom exactly like yours. Between the two of you I have came up with a perfect plan!

I am still going to rebuild the Pinz alternator that was loaned to me via this forum ! THANK YOU Brian! And install a new regulator! Thank you Patrick! And upgrade the wiring! Thank you ! Dennis. Just so the Pinz has a better charge for the running batteries. Then I am going to mount an auxillary alternator and auxillary bank of batteries to run inverter, lights,winch,and etc. Thank you Patrick ( and Dave I think he told me that first but my mind was lost in new Pinz ownership haze) Then with all that accomplished I shopuld be where I NEED to be! I will post pics when the project is underway as well as complete to share the experience!

Thank you for all the assistance everyone that responded and helped with their wealth of knowledge!

:) Glynn
russ

Post by russ »

Could always water cool it like the BMWs now. DOH! Won't work on a Pinz unless you have a snorkel! :D
ABSOLUTSECURITY

cool chrage

russ wrote:Could always water cool it like the BMWs now. DOH! Won't work on a Pinz unless you have a snorkel! :D
Is actuallt a remote diode setup that eliminates diode burn out from over heating! The diodes are mounted remotely on a heatsink instead of in the alternator - I have that setup on my work truck with a 225 amp alternator.

G