Blower Motor

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

critter
United States of America

Blower Motor

Post by critter »

I am looking for information on the blower motor for the air circulation in my 710 M. Obviously, mine is no longer functional and I have not, so far, been able to find a replacement. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Bob
hrafn

Post by hrafn »

Bob,

Search for "Blower Motor" on the Yahoo Pinzgauer Group site. Lots of stuff there.
Jay
W3PNZ
710K Kommandowagen
grayroad

blower motor

Post by grayroad »

try SAV. $168
critter
United States of America

Post by critter »

I have tried SAV. They have no more. And don't expect to get any soon.
AK NIMROD

Post by AK NIMROD »

I HAD ASKED PATRICK AT COLD WAR REMARKETING ABOUT BLOWER MOTORS HE SAID THEY SEND THEM OUT TO BE REBUILT. SO YOPU MIGHT LOOK INTO HAVING THAT DONE.
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

I am wondering if this is another "wiper gear revival'

I had a supplier make a replacement with more speeds etc some time ago but no-one seemed interested at the time.

If there is a genuine interest I will resurrect the project, so lets have some feedback.
Dennis
Linden Engineering inc
OOOps no customer bashing now
critter
United States of America

Post by critter »

I have also spoken with Patrick. He sends them in, however, he says repairs range from $50 to $500. Not sure I like that range. SAV told me that a new one from Steyr could cost over $800. I am up for any suggestions. I don't mind spending the money.
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Try searching the yahoo groups, I seem to remember a post referring to a Napa replacement :wink:
Also check the classifieds here, as Andre' still has parts from the 6x6 he is parting out 8)
His E-mail is garageape2000@yahoo.com
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
AK NIMROD

Post by AK NIMROD »

DENNIS- I MAY HAVE THE NEED IN THE NEAR FUTURE FOR A REBUILT OR REPLACED BLOWER MOTOR AS ROB, PREVIOUS OWNER OF MY PINZ , TOLD ME THE BLOWER WORKED INTERMITTENTLY, IT HAS WORKED FINE FOR ME THE FEW TIMES I HAVE USED IT. SO ANY INFO YOU CAN PROVIDE WILL BE APPRECIATED.
-THANX - PAT
Charles

Post by Charles »

You know Dennis,
My stock blower is totally within operational params, BUT I'd be interested in a blower that blows HARDER than my current setup. I think one main "problem" in heating for those of us in the cold Northern wastes is simply that the stock fans just don't blow enough air...
Best Regards,
Charles
('73 710K)
PS: Keep your stick on the ice
jgeesen

Post by jgeesen »

Mine was starting to get a bit noisy. This post got me motivated to look into it before total failure. Pretty easy to work on. Completely dismanteled it. Decrusted armature by chucking it up in the cordless drill and used med/fine sandpaper in my hand. Just enough to defunk the light surface rust and crud. I used the same sandpaper to touch up the stator, also. The bearings could have stood to be replaced, but did not have much 'slop', so I just blew them out and relubed them. I should have measured them or looked for the DIN # before I reassembled the unit - to speed up the project once the bearing start squalling - hopefully years down the road. The brushed were in great shape. It is much quieter now. It even winds down now - it used to stop almost instantly when I killed the power.
I also lubed the windshield wiper pivots. The right side was in dire need. Last time I used them the con-rod popped of. Lucky me it didn't strip the motor gear.
John
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

Gents
Here's some observation and comments on the heater/vent blower fan arr'.

The unit is called a "sirocco" style fan assembly and was state of the art when it was first specified in the 1970's by many MV manufacturers. Prior to that fans tended to be like your desk top vent fan & built with the traditional aircraft style turbine fan in a round housing.

The Pinz unit on the other hand is built with an alum squirrel cage fan assy and that is part of its problem since the rotating mass tends to put alot of stress on the armature bearings. You can often hear those bearings when they are exhibiting wear since the steel turbine snail body tends to act as a sounding board amplifying the rotating racket the fan is kicking up when worn. Crud and rust all contribute to a general slow down in the fan's efficiency and as JG has described you can give the motor a new lease of life with a good clean out.

So far as the fan's capacity to blow more air I'm afraid the unit is simply limited by size and performance limitations.

A while ago I looked at replacing the whole shooting match with a larger turbine/snail housing and a slightly bigger motor. The goal was to double the squirrel cage depth. Space is a problem so size increase is a limiting factor.

I did mention this a while ago but there was only a handful of owners interested in upgrading their vent systems so I dropped the project. In short I have to have some volume to justify the development/supply costs.

As to the original fan motor yes I can get them repaired, and yes I did identify 24 volt replacement unit but again closed the books on it due to lack of interest. If there is sufficient renewed interest again I will look to see what is available again today.
Dennis
Linden Engineering Inc
OOOps no customer bashing now
critter
United States of America

Post by critter »

Dennis,

I would appreciate any information you could supply. Replacement, rebuild or redesign.

Bob
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I found a source for a motor that is close to the right size. It takes a little modification to make it fit. It is 24V and has a little more power than the stock one. It has two speeds and I have been running it for a few months now.

I can check to see if they still have stock.

Scott
krick3tt

fan motor

Post by krick3tt »

Mine has two speeds as well, off and on.
Will a new switch need to be installed to make it work properly?

I would really be interested in a replacement unit, what cost, if you find that there is a stock of them available?

Cheers,
Morris