Some changes being made to the EFI kits

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

MASSIVE PINZ

Some changes being made to the EFI kits

Post by MASSIVE PINZ »

These changes will not effect the price of the kits but may slow completion by a few weeks..

Sean and I were having a very difficult time finding intake manifolds to keep on hand and modified for the kits. This aspect of the kit was also going to increase the hassles of sales and was going to keep vehicles off the road longer due to manifolds needing to be shipped to us for injector bungs to be installed into them.

So....
I decided to try something with the intake plenum that would locate the injectors in it's primary runners, but not actually in the intake manifold. The manifold position of the injectors has it's benefits but with a couple of small changes that I am testing now it appears that we'll be able to maintain the benefits of the injector position without needing to modify the intake manifolds.

So everyone that is "on the list" for the system please note that we won't be needing your manifolds more than likely and it may take a few weeks extra for me to get the programming and fabrication of the intake plenums altered. I was on schedule with everything for a late February deliovery date until the manifold issue necessitated this change..

The very good news is that I finally broke 20 MPG with my Pinz last week with the injctors in the "New" position... :shock:
Jake Raby
Owner, Raby's Aircooled Technology
www.aircooledtechnology.com
75pinz

Mileage

Post by 75pinz »

What do most folks get for mileage out of a 710 v. a 712? My 712 conistently gets 16-17 while my 710 got around 15-16. Seems like an extra axle would make it worse but in my case I don't see it. I would think FI would significantly improve mileage but evidently maybe only a few mpg?
MASSIVE PINZ

Post by MASSIVE PINZ »

With carbs I got 13-16 generally. Until I moved the injector location 18 was a best for EFI...

Results will always vary, I only use the MPG fgures to help me judge efficiency..
Jake Raby
Charles

Post by Charles »

Hi Jake,

Don't hurry on my account. Good-Fast-Cheap, pick 2... I pick good for sure and cheap next, fast is last in my book.

Anyhoo, I want this to work well (and in cold weather) so take your time...

Seeya
Best Regards,
Charles
('73 710K)
PS: Keep your stick on the ice
MASSIVE PINZ

Post by MASSIVE PINZ »

We are also having an Indian summer here.. It's been 70F for the past week and has only frosted twice!

Thats another reason I decided to make the change now, it benefitted the entire scope of the development.
Jake Raby
Kiwibru

Post by Kiwibru »

No rush for me or my Pinz either Jake. Too bad you are having such nice weather. As I write this snow is sliding off the metal roof and the temp. has risen from a low of 14F this a.m. to a balmy 33F and we are returning to our normal "rain".
Thanks for the update and added development! I was getting tired of 14mpg anyway.
Bruce
1975 710M
Pinz Enthusiast

Some cahnges to the EFI system

Post by Pinz Enthusiast »

I am constantly getting 16 - 17mpg in my 712 with rebuilt carbs and running synthetic oil, I just went back to petroleum based oil as I now have a massive oil leak comming from the rear main seal, last fill up resulted in 9mpg on a 72 mile down hill trip though it was about 35 degrees outside on most of the trip, hoping to have jim l rebuild the engine after the first of the year to stop the leak so jake I might have to put off the efi for now, one good thing with the lower temps we are experiancing the oil leak has slowed to almost nothing.....but we know that wont last.

Has anybody else experianced any adverse conditions after switching to synthetic oils??
Eric
Anaheim Hills, Ca
1973 712M
1996 LR Disco I
2003 LR Discovery SE
2003 Holiday Rambler Endeavor MH
hope to get a 1969 Ford M656
MASSIVE PINZ

Post by MASSIVE PINZ »

Eric,
I sprung a rear seal leak in my tranny when I switched to Redline synthetic all the way around the Pinz...

I swapped the seal and it's been fine..
Jake Raby
Pinz Enthusiast

Ok Jake thanks, I was checking into redline and since the leaks started, (rear main seal on engine, middle portal and passenger side, and front seal on transfer case ) I am a little scared to continue with synthetics now, seems like petroleum based is good just gives lower mpg....

oh Jake any word from Fed-Ex yet, still have not seen em stop by my house and I have probably seen like 5 trucks since I talked to you yesterday...
Eric
Anaheim Hills, Ca
1973 712M
1996 LR Disco I
2003 LR Discovery SE
MASSIVE PINZ

Post by MASSIVE PINZ »

Eric,
It seems the fan is lost! The tracking number they have on file with it shows it has never left my shop!

I'll send you my spare fan from my truck tomorrow as a replacement and I'll keep fighting with Fed Ex.. (I already balanced this fan) This time we'll ship it via USPS and see what happens!

Synthetics are very good if you worry about temps.. Synthetics can run 300F all day long with no adverse effects to components!
Jake Raby
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

This subject has been expounded alot in the past.

In short syn oils are highly detergent in overall use. I have just opened a Pinz engine for the same leak as you are experiencing. One thing I noted was how clean the engine interior was compared with its petroleum based cousin.

We have "filled" with several brands of syn over the years, all have the same properties; That is, if you have a "marginal" seal a leak will occur so expect some leak remediation when using these oils.

One area where we never fill with syn is/are the portal hubs. In 99% of all cases we observed a rapid leak percentage increase from those hubs so filled. This resulted in severe contamination of brake linings that dictating 100% replacement in those areas affected. That adds up to a costly repair incidence.
Dennis
Linden engineering Inc
OOOps no customer bashing now
Pinz Enthusiast

Cool deal Jake, well not that Fed-Ex lost it but you know, was thinking maybe UPS would be better atleast it could be tracked, unlike USPS, No tracking available....hate to have a few hundred bucks worth of fand floating around in snail mail space...
Eric
Anaheim Hills, Ca
1973 712M
1996 LR Disco I
2003 LR Discovery SE
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

Hey be careful with UPS.
Those idiots have lost or bust up more stuff than I care to think about.

This company even shipped me a set of Pinz brake drums from Calif that arrived in shattered pieces.

I suppose it can be be best stated by an Austrian customer who had a lightweight shaft sent by us and lost permanently by UPS en route to Leibnitz. In his best English the poor fellow said "why UPS this is a dumkoff American company why you send by this this way"?.

Nuff said I sent the next one Fed Ex and it arrived without a hitch, so beware.
Dennis
OOOps no customer bashing now
MASSIVE PINZ

Post by MASSIVE PINZ »

Dennis, I swapped all my portals 9K miles ago and have only had a very small weep that I traced to a bad thread on the drain plug- other than that the portals have remained dry.. I did use Royal Purple gear oil and in my previous experiences have found that it is the best all around including leakage..

I HATE UPS and REFUSE to use them. I ship 6,000 parcles a year with Fed Ex and other than a couple of uissues we have had flawless service from them.
Jake Raby
Pinz Enthusiast

Dennis,

I understand but we are trying to recover from multiple fed-ex F&*% ups this is the second time they have lost my fan, I personally spent 8 years running Global Van Lines Corporate head quarters wearhouse and shipping and receiving was a main duty, in 8 years UPS only lost 1 pckage, but in those same 8 years fed-ed lost about 12 packages never to be found, so I guess its a matter of preference and how many illegals any of the above has loading their trucks on any given day....

cheers
Eric
Anaheim Hills, Ca
1973 712M
1996 LR Disco I
2003 LR Discovery SE